Have you seen the ASDA ad for Christmas?

(36 Posts)
kim147 Mon 05-Nov-12 19:18:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=QiTuiYtaMV4&feature=endscreen

The 50s called. It wants its advert back. Apparently this is based on a lot of research from Asda mums. Thing is - it might well be the reality for some mums out there.

Djembe Tue 06-Nov-12 21:58:55

shock just watched it on YouTube. Getting self on to this thread to email complaint to Asda quicksharp.

Fucking horrible, the pouffe, the nagging, te pic of her looking harassed and stressed, then yes - the wonder of Christmas day, when she can be fulfilled through everyone else's happiness angry angry angry

Icant actually articulatehow angry it makes me. Would any woman watch this and think. 'ah, Christmas' and not 'oh fuck, do I have to slave to produce some shitey feast that no-one will thank me for'?!

Like any one thinks Christmas just happens - short of pre-teenage kids. What a fucking sexist fantasy of slavery.

Djembe Tue 06-Nov-12 21:59:39

And and and

The turkey covered in foil for later leftovers carving - her work is not yet done , viewers angry

tribpot Tue 06-Nov-12 22:05:34

When she was sitting there peeling the potatoes on her own, I was seriously thinking "just get up, grab a bottle of wine and fuck the fuck off for the day".

I hope Asda Mum can have a Christmas where someone waits on her someday. Hoovering whilst toting the baby around was another particularly low moment.

Shakey1500 Tue 06-Nov-12 22:06:44

DH and I saw and and made lots of shock faces throughout then spluttered for a fair while afterwards. Christmas Day is shared between us, DH cooks the dinner, I clean up afterwards, we both do the shopping, I wrap the presents, etc etc.

Highly sexist advert [anger]

tribpot Tue 06-Nov-12 22:13:19

I've tweeted it to @EveryDaySexism. What utter shite.

LeeCoakley Tue 06-Nov-12 22:20:53

I watched slack-jawed, hoping against hope that there was a twist at the end. It's not even HER hard work, bloody Asda are taking half the credit. The bit that I hated the most was her serving everyone at the table like a servant. Gah!

Dd2(17) watched it and said 'aah, that's so sweet' hmm We've had words.

tribpot Tue 06-Nov-12 22:27:52

It would have been good if it had been her nightmare of Christmas - and then she awakes 3 days beforehand to find out - hurrah! - it's going to be a team effort after all and everyone pitches in to help.

Slogan: Merry Christmas. Without the sexist shite this year.

madwomanintheattic Tue 06-Nov-12 22:32:06

Ah, lee, me too. That bit where she did that 'awwwww' smiley - I really genuinely thought she had gone into the kitchen to find out that the washing up fairies family had done the dishes and it was all sparkly clean. Nah, she was so happy to see them all on their arses watching the goggle box, after she'd cleared up. I thought it was going to cut to family in pinnies drying up and putting away.

My hopes are now ghoulishly splattered all over the freshly mopped floor, I tell ya.

And I nearly lamped that chap when he raised his wine glass.

Dh does most of Christmas here. I do get up early to get the turkey in, because I barely manage toast the rest of the year, so it's the least I can do, really.

KRITIQ Tue 06-Nov-12 22:37:58

BTW, Wetherspoons does a slap up Christmas Day lunch for about 30 quid a pop - cheaper for children. You know it makes sense. smile

madwomanintheattic Tue 06-Nov-12 22:49:40

<30x5+$5000airfare=dh gets to cook again> grin

Am always tempted by that option, though.

On a brighter note, there is no asda here.

Djembe Wed 07-Nov-12 08:49:52

I like the idea that it could have been her nightmare Christmas and she wakes up and it's a team effort after all.

Come on Asda, not too late, you can salvage this - make a 'part two' advert to be shown the second half of the season smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now