Victim blaming essay, help needed.

(34 Posts)
TheEnthusiasticTroll Mon 29-Oct-12 23:12:38

I'm doing a social work degree and need for a creativity and empowerment essay any links to specific media representation of victim blaming. I'm thinking linking to a few current stories in the media related to female sexual victimisation.

I wanted to link in how cases are reported by the news. I'm not looking for anything overly intellectual, I have only 1500 words to make a quick summery in terms of representing "the other" and linking in to contemporary representation of "the other" having a voice and how representation occurs in a specific medium. The other being young female victims of sexual victimisation and medium being news reporting.

I'm specifically looking for any news, topical programmes or tabloid reports that spring to people's minds that may hint of victim blaming.

It's just a summery that will outline changing cultural representations and negative stereotypes. This will later link to a larger peice about user involvement specific to social work values.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction to anything recently reported would be much appreciated. PM if you prefere.

SolidGoldYESBROKEMYSPACEBAR Fri 02-Nov-12 01:50:15

You could google a bit around 'feminist' 'anti-rape' 'safety advice' and 'parody' as there are now two or three lists on line of 'rape prevention advice' which are along the lines of 'Do not rape a woman just because she's there. If she's asleep, don't rape her. If she's walking alone at night, don't rape her.'

TheEnthusiasticTroll Fri 02-Nov-12 10:09:10

I have some journals and other literature too, I have found quite a bit now thanks.

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 02-Nov-12 11:18:54

TheEnthusiasticTroll, it's wasn't Kate Moss's responsibility to protect herself from the misogyny and exploitative of a whole industry.

It is the industry's responsibility not to be misogynistic and exploitative. No ifs, no buts. Any blathering about it being her parent's responsibility to protect her from coercion, is victim-blaming. The only way they could protect her from it, is by not allowing her to be a model. That way, you leave the industry untouched and allowed to continue its abusive practices.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Fri 02-Nov-12 12:43:37

I agree thats not what I was saying, I was suggesting it was the adults around her to do that.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Fri 02-Nov-12 12:44:44

And of course I recognise that the industry should not be exploiting in such a way, but it is the responsibility of adults to protect children.m

TheEnthusiasticTroll Fri 02-Nov-12 13:52:14

Reading back on my post I can see where I worded that wrongly, I said if that is how she felt. But in actual fact, Regardless of how she felt, her parents and the adults around her had the responsibility not to place her in such situations of being exploited.

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 02-Nov-12 14:01:03

Swym, agreed

TheBitchInTheHouse Sun 04-Nov-12 16:30:20
TheEnthusiasticTroll Sun 04-Nov-12 21:34:29

That is great thanks, I like the use of the case studies in that report. That will be very usefull.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now