knickers to empowerment, I say.

(9 Posts)

the more minute, the better, it seems

Can someone spell out exactly how a load of haute couture lingerie and slebs in posh frocks is meant to deliver increased levels of empowerment to women across the world? How exactly this assists them in accessing the business sphere better? Do the ends justify the means?

Have never heard of the Seven Bar Foundation, but apparently they "host top couture and luxury lingerie shows as brand building events in the 15 top markets, including Lingerie New York, Miami, London, and Paris."

PosieParker Thu 25-Oct-12 17:06:16

Brand building? I'm really struggling to make any connection or sense of this.

short answer is it's absolute hogwash. retrograde, thinly veiled sexist hogwash.

PosieParker Thu 25-Oct-12 18:25:02

But even sexist shite I can see the flawed logic, but I can't at all with this.

EmmelineGoulden Thu 25-Oct-12 18:33:26

Seven Bar Foundation is a microfinance nonprofit that targets loans at women in (I think) India. Microfinance for women in developing countries has been a huge boon for many communities and has helped realign power towards women in some communities.

I'm not in any way supporting the lingerie/fashion/celeb culture aspect of the fundraising. But I suspect women in India who use these loans to haul themselves and their families out of poverty might indeed find the access to capital quite empowering, despite the way the money is raised.

Ok thank you for explaining that EG, I am glad that the end destination of the money is as you say. However, I still don't like the Western end of this - what does it say to our children, what does it indicate to India (or wherever) we think is the pinnacle of successful market economy democracy... and so on.

Also, a lot of those knickers are fugly.

EmmelineGoulden Thu 25-Oct-12 19:12:54

Fugly grin

FastidiaBlueberry Sun 04-Nov-12 18:36:28

It means for men, empowerment is running the country, running the IMF, the world bank, the capitalist system, the top blue chip companies, owning 90% of the world's wealth.

For women, empowerment is nice knickers. Unless you're in the developing world where it means a business loan, but once you've got your business up and running, you'll only be truly empowered if your pants are good.

Anniegetyourgun Mon 05-Nov-12 13:23:40

Well indeed. How can you expect male industrialists and financiers to take you seriously unless you look really slinky in a satin teddy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now