The Taliban Are At It Again...

(45 Posts)
FrothyDragon Wed 24-Oct-12 22:22:33

Hinna Khan, 17, has been threatened by the Taliban

Surprise, surprise, another girl has become a target for daring to campaign for women's rights. sad

Xenia Thu 25-Oct-12 20:54:40

Of course it should be but instead many of them are only interested in their own hearth and home as they are not much developed beyond the stage of Taliban wife where their interests are limited to washing powder and childbirth.

kim147 Thu 25-Oct-12 21:12:45

An interesting Guardian article.

www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/2012/jun/26/pakistan-education-swat-valley-taliban

1 in 3 rural women have never been to school.
60% of school age children can't read.
It's chronically underfunded, teachers are poorly qualified.

This quote sums up the importance of education.

"Gul-e-Khandana believes that girls are the future for Pakistan. "Above all, girls must be educated," she says. "When one girl is educated, she educates her entire household. The role of women is very important in our society – it is they who can change our way of life for the better."

Education is so important - yet we take it for granted in the West and often forget that it many children don't get it in other countries.

scarevola Thu 25-Oct-12 22:02:20

The boys don't get education either, in the areas where the Taliban rule. The religious aspect is almost incidental really, this is a cross-border Pashtun movement allied which murders other Muslims as well as adherents of other religions.

The to-ing and fro-ing over the Swat Valley has been pretty well documented, and the levels of education there are higher than those in the areas where the Talibs are more entrenched.

namechangeguy Thu 25-Oct-12 22:20:06

If you are religious zealots who want to rule by fear and intimidation, the last thing you need is an educated population.

Trekkie Thu 25-Oct-12 23:17:05

My DH told me that before the taleban, women in Afghanistan were educated and held roles across society and in all sorts of occupations / professions.

As far as I understand it, this did not assist them when their rights were removed when the taleban came in?

I am not sure that women are able to fight, whether they are educated or not, against that type of change. I am not sure any oppressed group will have much luck when the ruling powers and much of society turns against them.

scarevola Fri 26-Oct-12 10:51:04

The position of women in Afghanistan has varied over the decades, and also sharply between cities and rural regions.

Is your DH an expert on the region? If so, I would be interested in references he thinks particularly germane.

Xenia Fri 26-Oct-12 11:15:00

Tr, that's true. Some afghanwomen were doing very well. It's a bit like Iran where I have been on business a few times - it was quite sophisticated with well educated women and then went backwards once the Shah went.

When you let the poor if they are fundamentalist sexist and old fashioned into power that tends not to be good for women. Look at how few women in Communist China are part of the new leadership proposals.

scarevola Fri 26-Oct-12 12:47:29

Iran may have veiled its women, but retained, even under theocracy full participation in education to the highest levels and including such appointments as science minister: wiki, but a useful list. It is only now, after 10 years during which numbers of women in higher education has been greater than that of men, has there been a move to reduce female numbers with stated aim of bringing it line with proportion of population.

namechangeguy Fri 26-Oct-12 14:30:58

Scarevola - that is a hugely surprising list, given the propaganda we are fed about the Iranian regime. Thank you for posting it. Are you Iranian? How much do you know about the country? It's a fascinating place.

scarevola Fri 26-Oct-12 14:34:10

No, I'm not Iranian, nor do I have particularly strong associations, though I have had some connexions in the course of work (a few years ago now, though). What about you?

Xenia Fri 26-Oct-12 15:13:53

Yes, I know that about Iran. They are well educated but still forced to wear a load of cloth over themselves. They have never been arab. They are aryan I think genetically and always pretty advanced which makes it even sadder that they have gone backwards to much in terms of imposition of religious and clothing rules which are so ridiculous.

Xenia Fri 26-Oct-12 15:14:20

..and their human rights record is as bad as the Taliban or China or North Korea now. Terrible.

namechangeguy Fri 26-Oct-12 15:52:28

Nope, not Iranian - white trash British grin. I just have an interest in what appears to be such a contradictory nation. I know that they are a people proud of their history and tradition, and like many nations in that area they were once at the forefront of scientific and cultural thinking. It is sad to see such countries regress into theocratically dominated pariah states.

Xenia Fri 26-Oct-12 20:27:32

They were certainly very keen to tell me they feel misrepresented in the press when I was working out there and a third of the 120 professionals to whom I was talking at one point were female. They have certainly got themselves into a huge mess and now I think almost have the highest inflation on the planet which must be devastating for people.

Vege Wed 31-Oct-12 13:03:37

Where does this "information" come from..the BBC? LOL X

scarevola Wed 31-Oct-12 14:53:48

Information about the level of female education in Iran is widely reported, as are the latest moves to reduce participation in some places so that (under-represented) male students can secure places.

But it's all a bit beside the point if this thread is going to attract posters who want to discuss the Taliban (as one might except from the thread title) - a Sunni Pashtun movement in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

sashh Thu 01-Nov-12 07:41:18

Iran is interesting in so may ways.

When the Shah was 'modernising' Iran women who wore a veil in public had it ripped off.

After the revoloution the number of women in higher education went through the roof. Many parents did not want their daughters wearing in western clothes and mixing with men at university.

Adding a veil and single sex classes actually opened up education for women in Iran.

MrsSnaplegs Thu 01-Nov-12 07:46:39

I am reading "the sewing circles of Herat" written by Christine lamb - very interesting seeing her views on the differences the Taliban made - for the worse - to women and the underground movements that occurred to try and continue their education
It's a decade old now but worth a readsmile

SolidGoldYESBROKEMYSPACEBAR Fri 02-Nov-12 01:45:26

It's interesting that the Yanks are so keen on bombing the Taliban and yet they are busy building their own woman-hating theocracy at home.

Pilgit Sat 03-Nov-12 09:45:22

All down history there are examples of sacrifices being made for the sake of peace (invariably I don't agree btw) and frequently womens rights are a sacrifice that governments make for the sake of peace. we have seen this in Iraq and Afghanistan and it looks to be happening again in Pakistan. This just makes me angry as it is not peace for the women of those nations. These are not the only examples and it is not always women on the receiving end (the fact that Poland got well and truly shafted by Churchill and the americans at the end of WW2 - they fought with the british for a free Poland and they got communism from Russia as a result instead.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now