Sexism in James Bond

(98 Posts)
Frans1980 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:47:24

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19812608

I never really thought of it but the article really opened my eyes. I wonder how many young boys see James Bond as a role model??

flatpackhamster Sat 20-Oct-12 11:50:23

AbigailAdams

Go away fph. You neither understand rape or misogyny.

Shouldn't you just go back to reporting posts you disagree with? Best close down the discussion so you can retreat to your safe echo chamber where everyone agrees with you.

flatpackhamster Sat 20-Oct-12 12:24:15

TheDoctrineOfSnatch

Sorry, my internets broke and I lost 9/10 of my post.

I'm sure DSK doesn't hate his wife. I'm sure he sees the various other women that he has abused, as "other" and he doesn't care about the damage he does to them.That is a misogynistic way to behave which involves acts of hatred against women, women who I suspect DSK considers to be his social inferiors as well as his gender inferiors.

I don't think we can easily look at one example - particularly such a high-profile example - and either use it as an exemplar or achieve any real understanding of behaviour from it. Not that I wouldn't be fascinated to read a psychologist's report of him.
I suspect that he is a narcissist, much like most major politicians. If he is, then I wouldn't class his behaviour as misogyny because he treats everyone like that, not just women. Yes, he has sex with lots of women, but he also treats men just as badly. That doesn't make him a misogynist, it makes him a narcissist.

I suspect that the case of systematic, state-supported (if not mandated) rape (such as the Soviet armies, and more recently in the African wars) is a very different thing to the sort of behaviour we see from people like DSK.

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sat 20-Oct-12 12:24:43

FPH, I don't think your minimising of the impact of rape on women helps advance discussion

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sat 20-Oct-12 12:26:23

and just in case you didn't realise (although I am sure everyone else did) my "sneering" was aimed at your attempts to excuse men's rape of women, not war smile

SomersetONeil Sat 20-Oct-12 19:40:08

The book quotes soldiers as saying how surprised they were that German people looked like them, because all their propaganda had told them that the Germans were animals.

What do you think they were expecting, dya'reckon?

Hamsters...?

SomersetONeil Sat 20-Oct-12 19:57:14

flatpackhamster - have you name-changed? Your posting style is awfully familiar.

No, never.

OK. I believe you.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 20-Oct-12 20:08:07

Does DSK hit, punch, kick or otherwise assault other men? I don't understand how you can draw the conclusion that he treats everyone the same.

Ok let's turn the question round. What behaviour would you accept was evidence of misogyny?

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sat 20-Oct-12 22:40:49

FPH is otherwise known as Edd

IMO

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sat 20-Oct-12 22:41:15

report me, someone wink

SomersetONeil Sat 20-Oct-12 22:47:50

Is he definitely not uppercut, then?

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sat 20-Oct-12 22:49:54

no, it's Edd

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sat 20-Oct-12 22:50:35

IMO

any twat will do though, tbh

the particulars are not that important

SomersetONeil Sat 20-Oct-12 22:52:15

True.

I'm just enjoying laughing at him, whoever he is.

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sat 20-Oct-12 22:57:36

me too

his mate (BDD) got a trouncing (banned) from HQ, it won't be too long until this one does too

he's just a tiny bit cleverer (in knowing how to stay just this side of deletion), but they trip themselves up sooner rather than later, I find

SomersetONeil Sat 20-Oct-12 23:03:41

Well before they trip themselves up, they show themselves to be arses by anyone able to read, so win-win either way, really.

Honsandrevels Sat 20-Oct-12 23:03:53

The thread has moved on a little from Bond, however, I read the Bond books a few years ago and if you think the films are sexist, they are nothing compared to the books.

The novel, The Spy Who Loved Me is nothing like the film, the film makers just used the title. The entire premise is awful but what sticks in my mind is the line 'all women like semi-rape'. Horrifying.

WereTricksPotter Sat 20-Oct-12 23:07:12

Surely if you come onto a site proclaiming that rape isn't misogynistic, let alone the FWR bit of that site, you are Goading?

Yeah?

The War Makes Beasts Of Men <don'tblamemeanaackshewualhistoriansezso> fits with the slavish devotion to James Bond, though. That particular mindset still exists.

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sat 20-Oct-12 23:13:26

well, you would think so, were

I thought goading was now a deletable offence. Was I wrong ?

WereTricksPotter Sat 20-Oct-12 23:15:08

Perhaps it's different where James Bond is concerned.

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sat 20-Oct-12 23:20:03

yeah, like coool

WereTricksPotter Sat 20-Oct-12 23:24:36

<frowns>

I think you mean Kewl, MotherFucker. Hypee Hypee Kewl.

Why did it not go the way of Carry On films? They fizzled out and Carry On Columbus was an embarrassment. How I wish JB had gone the same way.
A few concessions to ManTrunks and the shite's still being churned out.

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sat 20-Oct-12 23:26:09

too true

them ManTrunks don't make up for any of it

WereTricksPotter Sat 20-Oct-12 23:32:17

You can't reinvent JB. It's not ironically Postmodern to have dahling Judy as M and the wonderfully Establishment-now John Cleese as Q.

Or whoever they've wheeled in for the latest installments. A hinterland like that? Fuckin' 'Ell. Leave him where he belongs. In the past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now