In this day and age! A thread for unbelievably obvious examples of sexism.

(433 Posts)

A thread for "I can't believe that just happened to me! In this day and age!"

Yesterday we spent about 40 minutes in a Toyota dealership, looking to spend about $10k on a used car. The salesman only asked DH's name, only wrote down DH's number, and only talked to DH about the cars available. DH kept referring to me, asking my opinion, and generally looking uncomfortable. Eventually DH snatched back his license from the salesman and said "No, I don't think so. Let's go." And as I turned I added "Joe? Thank you for your help today. I work in sales and I wanted you to know that since I walked in here you haven't asked me a single question, or addressed me directly even once. At one point you walked away from me, talking to my husband about the next car you were showing us, so that I couldn't hear what you said. I just want you to know that I earn more than my husband (actually not yet true, but soon will be!), I know more about cars than my husband (v.true), and you acted like I didn't exist. Which is why we're leaving."

When I got into our car, DH was cheering. We drove 5 miles away and bought a nissan.

As we were doing the dishes last night, talking about this, DH said "I do hope you tell Mumsnet about it." grin he knows me so well.

Got an email today from a magazine company inviting me to look at their Xmas offers, seeing as I read a couple of their publications regularly I thought I'd have a look.

Was not impressed to see they had these two categories, men's magazine and women's magazines. Now while I appreciate the fact they have put some magazines in both categories, it does make me question why they felt the need to have the categories at all, and why women are expected to be crafty and men are expected to be musical?

I also liked the descriptions
For men
There’s a wide range of men’s magazines available on MyFavouriteMagazines. Whether you’re interested in Gaming or Film, Photography or Technology, Cycling & Triathlon or Music
For women
We have a great selection of women’s magazines at MyFavouriteMagazines, including a wide selection of stitch and craft magazines, from knitting to papercraft, to cross stitching and scrap-booking.

So the men are offered a range of very different hobbies and interest and women are offered crafts. But at least it's a variety of crafts hmm

HalloweenNameChange Tue 20-Nov-12 18:43:06

I can kind of see where the shops use the sexist sales pitch to children. They want the kids to see something for girls or boys.. you sell twice as much. It makes sense financially.

I can't get my head round the idea of them telling adults what to buy. If a grown woman is interested in camera she isn't going to buy a knitting magazine to be like the other girls, she doesn't knit. confused Why not just have a hobby section? or if you insist on having mens and womens section just put Nutz and FHM in there for those of who would choose to avoid anyway. It just seems counter intuitive to make people feel uncomfortable about their purchases. The patriarchy has made it clear that men aren't supposed to want to take part in activities that are seen as "female" so if the man does want the knitting mag..he may not buy it when he has to buy it in the women's section. He won't then buy the camera mag because its in the mesn section. He'll walk out empty handed.

Just seen this on a games news site, apparently the exact same game is worth less when it has a female character on the cover. Yep, that's right, the only difference is the gender of the character on the cover.

HalloweenNameChange Tue 27-Nov-12 14:17:53

Would it genuinely not be due to the age of the dvd as it's used? Becasue that's insane.

Nope, definitely not that. Unless it's a new policy that they've implemented just for that one game. All of their other pre-owned games are priced according to title rather than age/state

tarantula Tue 27-Nov-12 14:36:52

dd has just brought home a Christmas song to learn. It goes something like
Mary: I've got nothing to wear
Joseph: Don't worry
Mary: Look at the state of my hair
Joseph: Don't worry

Company producing such wonderful songs is http://www.outoftheark.co.uk/

Out of the ark is about right! I despair I really do

FunBagFreddie Tue 27-Nov-12 21:17:25

I was rather offended by my martial arts teacher.

There is a 3day seminar abroad next year, and he keeps badgering me to go and take DS. Now, the cost of accomodation and flights for me and DS would be around £600. Tbh I can go and stay with my family in France for 2 weeks for that much and I'd rather do that, I've already allocated my holiday budget for the next 12 months anyway.

I told martial arts teacher chap that I didn't think we could stretch to it and he said - "earn your own money" - in front of the class. I was fecking furious, I do earn my own money! Wtaf?!! hmm Me and DS don't really fancy going, and I can think of other things I'd rather spend £600. I'm so pissed off that I probably won't go back now.

shriekingnora Tue 27-Nov-12 21:49:19

I was at a kids party with all three DC a while ago and there were some extra hotdogs so the parents were tucking in. "Great," I say, "No cooking or washing up tonight". Woman next to me says, "Won't you still have to cook for your DH?" hmm I just looked at her and said, "He's a fully functioning adult, I'm pretty sure he can get himself some food". Apparently she only asked to 'establish who wears the trousers in the relationship'. Right.

At the same party someone else asked if DH had given me a 'little job' in 'his' new business. I am a director, own 50% and work the same number of hours as him. I left the party pretty quickly before I turned into a stepford wife

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now