LynnCSchreiber - live blog from Family Planning Summit on 11th July

(107 Posts)
LynnCSchreiber Mon 02-Jul-12 08:37:00

I have recently returned from Kenya, where I was blogging about reproductive rights and the issues millions of women have in accessing family planning.

The Gates Foundation has an ambitious of ensuring that an additional 120m women around the world have access to contraceptives.

Currently the lack of contraception in the developing world means that women are having more babies than they would like, and with small age gaps.

The consequences are many. High maternal mortality, high infant mortality, an appallingly high number or unsafe abortions, particularly in countries where abortion is illegal or difficult to access. Girls don't finish school because they get pregnant so are unable to help lift their families out of poverty.

The UK and the Gates Foundation are hosting a summit this month to raise awareness and funds to fight this issue.

I will, along with many other bloggers who were on the trip, be blogging live from London.

If you have any questions, post them here and I'll try to get answers for you.

You can see what I've been doing in Kenya on the blog: www.saltandcaramel.com

Pagwatch Mon 02-Jul-12 08:49:04

Thanks mmelindor, brilliant stuff.

caramelwaffle Mon 02-Jul-12 09:30:52

Excellent work.

I don't have any questions at the moment just giving you a cheeky bump.

Himalaya Mon 02-Jul-12 10:00:20

Things I would be interested in is not just how much money, plans, targets etc... the governments are putting into the supply side of contraception (...which is important).

But also how they are addressing things like sex education for girls and boys, building girls negotiating power, making marital rape illegal, putting contraception within a framework of women’s rights, tackling forced marriage and making sure contraception is available and accessible to girls and unmarried women.

The last session on how to reconcile a results-driven approach with women's rights and how you you make sure that the whole thing doesn't just become focused on targets I think sounds good - hope they have time to get into it properly.

LynnCSchreiber Mon 02-Jul-12 12:01:47

Yes, good points Himalaya. And ones we have talked a out. Will watch out for that

MooncupGoddess Mon 02-Jul-12 14:03:34

How interesting! Did the Gates Foundation fund your trip, MmeLindor?

Is this project supported by the Kenyan government, and if so how? My concern with these projects is that there is so much goodwill and hard work... but if it's not actively supported by the systems already operating in the country then the long-term results can be rather disappointing.

I've been following your blog with interest, MmeLindor, as I have family in Nairobi. Thank you for the work you're doing - keep it up!

OracleInLeCoracle Mon 02-Jul-12 17:01:43

marking spot

OracleInLeCoracle Mon 02-Jul-12 17:01:56

and can I link to FB?

LynnCSchreiber Mon 02-Jul-12 17:23:04

Please do, oracle.

MooncupGodess
I don't think so but will check. That is one of the things that concerns me - there is a lot of money flowing into thousands of NGOs - which ones are actually benefitting people on the ground.

SweetTheSting Tue 03-Jul-12 09:15:08

Is it known what the attitude is to longer acting contraception eg implants or are there just not enough medical personnel for this to be realistic?

Well done on doing this!

LynnCSchreiber Tue 03-Jul-12 17:37:07

Sweet
Longer lasting contraceptives are very popular cause women can hide them from their husbands.

LynnCSchreiber Tue 10-Jul-12 09:07:33

On my way to London. If there is any issue you want me to raise, speak now ...

messyisthenewtidy Tue 10-Jul-12 11:05:29

Just: Good luck! Have been following your blog and have learnt loads from it. Will try to watch a bit of the live stream tomorrow and look forward to your next installment.

LynnCSchreiber Tue 10-Jul-12 12:22:46

Thanks, Messy.

Link to website Am glad that they are doing a live stream, should be interesting. Am not sure what they will be streaming, but I will try and give you a heads-up if there is something that I think you would be interested in.

LynnCSchreiber Tue 10-Jul-12 12:32:13
LynnCSchreiber Tue 10-Jul-12 23:48:33

Am in London and ready to go. Was at a reception tonight and met some interesting folk. Will be up bright and early to get there on time. Slightly underestimated travelling time to hotel, so have to check how to get to the venue on time.

Good luck tomorrow, Mme Lindor - I've been boosting the signal a bit on FB and twitter, very very impressed that you're part of this vital work.

LynnCSchreiber Wed 11-Jul-12 08:42:40

Ok, sitting pretty in the Blogger Alley waiting for the conference to start. There is quite a buzz in the air.

LynnCSchreiber Wed 11-Jul-12 08:50:22

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/LynnCSchreiber

LynnCSchreiber Wed 11-Jul-12 08:50:41
LynnCSchreiber Wed 11-Jul-12 09:18:20

Oooh, first hate tweet.

'aborting today?'

Will be interesting to see if there is a concentrated protest from anti-choice activists or if this was a one off.

I will not be engaging in Twitter war with anyone. Nothing against a civil debate, but not getting into slanging matches.

AyeRobot Wed 11-Jul-12 09:26:02

MmeLindor, is there any discussion at the conference about educating men about not putting their orgasm above the lives of women their partners at risk?

LynnCSchreiber Wed 11-Jul-12 09:32:38

Aye
There is something this afternoon on empowering women, so they might talk about domestic violence and the role men have to play then.

LynnCSchreiber Wed 11-Jul-12 09:34:10

One of the other bloggers has introduced himself with the words, 'My partner is a MNetter'.

Reveal yourself (via PM if you prefer)

Or not, if you want to be anonymous smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now