Happy Patriarchymas!

(385 Posts)
thunderboltsandlightning Sat 24-Dec-11 21:48:32

I know, I know - but this is the feminist section and christmas is about celebrating the birth of the son of god, with women's spirituality and power completely written out of the story. It's the classic patriarchal mindfuck for women. Even Santa's a man, but who does most of the present-buying and wrapping?

Then there's the fact that christmas is all about women doing most of the work, with men enjoying the benefits.

Each year I find it a little more difficult to have to go through it all. Once you've seen what it's about, it gets harder to ignore the brainwashing.

Hope everybody has a happy peaceful time, whatever you are celebrating.

SolidGoldFrankensteinandmurgh Thu 27-Dec-12 01:08:14

Frans: Yup. Common to Roman, Norse and Celtic traditions. Basically everyone in the northern hemisphere went in for a spell of feasting, being nice, giving gifts and lighting lights in the middle of winter and that's why a lot of people still do it now. Christmas is just the most current name for it (just as people use the names of days of the week which were originally references to Norse and Roman deities...)

Frans1980 Thu 27-Dec-12 00:44:47

I heard christmas was originally actually a non-religious pagan holiday before it was hijacked by christians who added the whole jesus stuff.

FrothyDragon Wed 26-Dec-12 00:16:25

Ooooh, good luck for tomorrow, LRD! grin <sends MD to provide lectures on sexism/relevant problem points>

He got Brave from Nanny and Grandad Dragon... Cleverly sneaking in a feminist approved film without them realising.

If it helps, when the parents start, I just imagine the FWR section having a good chuckle... "They whaaaaat? Pass the wine, I can't believe this one..."

LRDtheFeministDude Tue 25-Dec-12 23:59:39

I'll suggest we have a nice solidarity-fest in anticipation, frothy ... I'm off to my parents tomorrow!

On the plus side, sounds like a lovely haul of presents for your DS, and I hope you had some nice things too. smile

(And wine wine wine ...)

FrothyDragon Tue 25-Dec-12 23:34:55

Merry Patriarchymas, you lovely lot!

I'm severely under the influence of a few glasses of wine, ne thought I'd drop by and share yhe tale of my Patriarchymas with you all.
The Old Dragons (AKA Teh Parents) turned up at half eleven this morning (yes, after that moan the people who know me on Facebook saw...) Don't see parents often, so Mini-Dragon was suitably excited, and went tearing down the passage as soon as they pulled up. First thing I heard from DM... "His hair's getting long. You need to cut it, before people think he's a girl..." hmm (It's shorter than the last time they saw him...)

So, Mini-Dragon drags DM and DF indoors, ready to show them the treats Santa's brought him... A baking set, books, a pirate ship, a game, DVDs, and the pride of his stocking, an Ariel doll (MD is Little Mermaid obsessed, and has been begging for an Ariel doll since last year... Is now tucked up in bed with Ariel, Jessie and his Little Mermaid book.) Upon Ariel being waved in her face, DM commented... "I know he looks like a girl, but you don't need to buy him girls toys too". angry Luckily DF took more of an interest as MD took to showing him how her dress turned into her tail, and her shoes, and what not....

Anyway, quick dash round DSil's. Another year, another poke at the "singleton". Last year, I got a "grow your own boyfriend". This year, a "blow up" boyfriend. Why do we not have a facepalm smiley yet?

(Luckily sanity was restored upon arriving at SIL's parents'... sans my own parents... That is, until MD ended up with a sherry trifle by mistake... I'm sure he wasn't walking straight afterwards...)

Anyway! Back to el vino! Merry Patriarchymas to some of my favourite people! grin wine

LRDtheFeministDude Tue 25-Dec-12 22:35:17

One of the few truly feminist ways to celebrate! grin

Sunnywithachanceofjinglebells Tue 25-Dec-12 22:34:10

Merry Patriarchymas all.

I'm sitting here with my umpteenth glass of wine smile

LRDtheFeministDude Tue 25-Dec-12 22:15:36

Season's Greetings and Down with the Patriarchy! grin

Nice to resurrect an old thread, SQ.

jess - no one, that's who! grin

jessjessjess Tue 25-Dec-12 11:51:29

Who says women do all the work in all houses? Bit unfair to assume that's always the case - my DH did the big food shop and does all the cooking and most of the washing up.

If you do everything for men and then complain about it, you are part of the problem.

Lovecat Tue 25-Dec-12 11:37:06

Merry Patriarchymas! I'm drinking pink champagne & eating chocolate croissants while DD is forcing DH to teach her how to use her inline skates.

Turkey has been on since 7...........

NB This is the first Christmas I haven't been to church since I was born. I'm not even guilty. I think I'm finally becoming a lapsed Catholic - cheers! grin

Merry Patriarchymas, one and all

grin

I am lying in bed eating pastry which was super-cheap last night. I will go on a walk with my daughter a bit later if the good weather holds.

Dinner is going to be the things that were reduced to clear in Tesco express last night.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 30-Dec-11 02:20:30

Same Church, same head, different people, different ways of working. As has been said before, the church on the UK and the West adopts a much different approach to such things as pre marital sex, contraception etc.

I never claimed that the catholic church did not cause suffering. And I don't understand what you mean when you talk about "digs".

TamIAm Fri 30-Dec-11 01:39:25

Yes,the main difference being that if the men stopped work the lights would go out but if the women stopped work we'd have more dust about.

Perhaps this is where the difficulty lies - perhaps you're actually in a rare privileged position where you're not actually doing a whole lot of unpaid, unrecognised labour. If so - lucky, lucky you. But you do realise that's just not the case for the majority of the world's women, right? If not, perhaps get out and talk to some people and open your eyes a bit.

It's actually not that hard to see that if the unpaid labour force in the world stopped their labours then the workers of the world wouldn't be able to work. Unpaid work supports paid work. Thus men who work outside of their homes don't have to look after children whilst they're at work - because women are at home doing it (unpaid and unrecognised). Rearing children is a societal issue, but only women are expected to do it.

Likewise, (assuming that the worker in the family is male and the unpaid worker female), if the woman doesn't wash the bloke's sock, jocks and workwear - how is he going to go to work and not be fired because of disgusting personal hygiene? How is he going to work if he is starving or his blood sugar levels so variable that he passes out regularly? He needs food regularly, and reasonably healthy food at that. How is he going to get enough down time to relax from the stress he's experienced during the week if his wife or partner doesn't look after the children on the weekends so that he can recover in order to work another week?

And you know what? This isn't even about me feeling resentful about how much 'wifework' I do. In my house, I'm the worker and my husband the SAHP. He does an awful lot of the unpaid labour - and there's a lot of it around here, we live on 10 acres. He's just been out for the last 2 days fixing the tractor and then slashing the paddocks to ensure that we're not at risk of any bushfires that might threaten over the next couple of months (we're not in the UK). But if he stopped doing the unpaid labour he does - I just could.not do the paid labour that I do. I wouldn't have the time, the energy or the resources to do it all. It plays an absolutely integral role in my ability to be professional - so I value it, very much. So many men (and women, evidently) don't even see the unpaid labour as labour let alone value it. I'm lucky. Many (most) women are not.

thunderboltsandlightning Thu 29-Dec-11 17:16:42

Which is why the religious boys want to control it, and us by extension.

thunderboltsandlightning Thu 29-Dec-11 17:16:15

If women stopped our reproductive labour, there wouldn't be a human race.

Tortington Thu 29-Dec-11 17:14:41

we'd go homeless

since when did women work for pin money?

since never in history

OnemorningXmasCockMonkey Thu 29-Dec-11 17:01:46

If I stopped work our bills wouldn't be paid. Then the lights in our house would go out.

Do you really think that's all women bring to a household, lolly, or are you on a wind up?

lollygag Thu 29-Dec-11 16:47:26

Yes,the main difference being that if the men stopped work the lights would go out but if the women stopped work we'd have more dust about.

TamIAm Thu 29-Dec-11 15:55:30

Well it's not all 'constructed on women's backs' chibi.I like to credit the men who produce the electricity for the big day.And the men at the waterworks and the sewage plants.And the men who built the roads so we could go to the shopping centre.Oh and the men who built the shopping centre.And the men who work on the freighters who transport goods around the world.And the men who built the house that I live in and the hospital I sometimes visit.Actually if I look out my window everything that I see was built by men!

Oh, the men who went to work in respected jobs, got lunch breaks, sick leave, holiday pay, toilet breaks, and a pay cheque at the end of the week?

Which is completely unlike women who do, what is it now? 90% of the world's UNPAID, UNRECOGNISED labour and are expected to console themselves with meaningless platitudes like "Oh, but you're the heart of the family".

You've just neatly pointed out the very difference between men's work and wifework. Congratulations smile

vesuvia Thu 29-Dec-11 13:34:05

Quote from the Telegraph article -
"acceptable to use a prophylactic when the sole intention was to “reduce the risk of infection”"

How does someone prove that the sole reason for their condom use is the secondary reason (infection risk reduction), while ignoring the primary reason (conception reduction)?

thunderboltsandlightning Thu 29-Dec-11 11:39:03

Women as incubators.

Gee, I wonder where they could have got that idea from. Maybe there's something in their giant rule book.

SardineQueen Thu 29-Dec-11 08:37:35

here about condom use

So after all those years of teaching that people even in areas with high levels of HIV must not use condoms, they have finally said that people can if the sole reason for the condom is preventing infection. And use a male prostitute as an example.

Yes how liberal hmm

SardineQueen Thu 29-Dec-11 08:34:29

Seeker seriously?

So male condoms are now allowed to use condoms with their clients but not anyone else? what about female prostitutes? Or women with partners who they know are HIV?

Dione what is your line here. It is hard to argue that the RC religion hasn't caused a huge amount of pain worldwide with it's teachings and policies. Why don't you lay your cards on the table rather than making little digs at people's posts?

SardineQueen Thu 29-Dec-11 08:32:34

Dione you can't pretend that the RC church in the developing world is an entirely different organisation from the RC church in the UK/ West. They have are exactly the same faith, with the same head. I'm not sure what your point in making that separation is?

ElfenorRathbone Thu 29-Dec-11 00:16:23

It's not the welfare of the male prostitutes he's worried aobut, it's that of their clients.

All measures to avoid sexually transmitted disease in prostitution, have always been about protecting the clients, not the prostituted men and women they are abusing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now