Happy Patriarchymas!

(385 Posts)
thunderboltsandlightning Sat 24-Dec-11 21:48:32

I know, I know - but this is the feminist section and christmas is about celebrating the birth of the son of god, with women's spirituality and power completely written out of the story. It's the classic patriarchal mindfuck for women. Even Santa's a man, but who does most of the present-buying and wrapping?

Then there's the fact that christmas is all about women doing most of the work, with men enjoying the benefits.

Each year I find it a little more difficult to have to go through it all. Once you've seen what it's about, it gets harder to ignore the brainwashing.

Hope everybody has a happy peaceful time, whatever you are celebrating.

Trills Sat 24-Dec-11 21:48:57

No thanks, I don't want to have one of those.

thunderboltsandlightning Sat 24-Dec-11 21:49:18

Me neither, but that's what we get.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Sat 24-Dec-11 21:55:00

Most of the wrapping? I've also done most of the shopping, the spending, the thinking of gifts... And Santa gets the praise?

Really?

Merry Patriarchymas to you, too, Thunderbolts. Hope you manage to enjoy it.

<back to the asti>

TheBrandyButterflyEffect Sat 24-Dec-11 21:59:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Youllbewaiting Sat 24-Dec-11 22:22:02

'Even Santa's a man, but who does most of the present-buying and wrapping?'

Mother Christmas?

lukewarmMulledWhine Sat 24-Dec-11 22:24:22

Oh ffs! Happy Christmas to one and all!

lukewarmMulledWhine Sat 24-Dec-11 22:30:47

Actually, my dh says fair enough, as it's women who do all the planning and work around Christmas (typically).

But still, it's time for everyone to eat drink and be merry wink

Trills Sat 24-Dec-11 22:33:12

Are the elves male or female or some kind of neuter?

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 24-Dec-11 23:17:35

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 24-Dec-11 23:18:04

ElfOfThePerverse Sat 24-Dec-11 23:26:02

I always assumed elves could be of either gender but the male ones tended to have the higher ranking and better paid jobs on the present production line.

We don't really go in for the religious aspect so I'm happy to wish everyone a happy pagan winter festival. smile

And DP did most of the shopping smile smile

DeePanCrisPandEeeven Sat 24-Dec-11 23:27:54

oh ffs. [yawn]

AmorYCohetes Sat 24-Dec-11 23:37:32

no you're right.

there are loads of threads on here with women getting stressed out and completely unable to enjoy themselves because they are doing all the work while their partners sit on their arses in a blissful daze. i was calling it wifeworkmas to my friends yesterday and they were agreeing. there's nothing wrong with pointing this out tbh. i am a sahm to two littlies, and i want it to be all magic and special and lovely, and it is, and it will be (i hope). it's important that everyone does their share though, and in our house we have, but this is not really the norm, from reading on here.

thunderboltsandlightning Sun 25-Dec-11 08:32:15

I'm getting a warm feministmas glow here. grin

Hope everybody has a lovely day today - back to the feminist analysis tomorrow!

thunderboltsandlightning Sun 25-Dec-11 08:35:44

P.S. Stewie - v. jealous of your stocking (fluffy socks!) and LOLing at your DH's fairtrade gourmet stocking approach.

gabid Sun 25-Dec-11 08:47:06

So you are all complaining about having to do all the work - what sort of relationship do you have? Can you not arrange/plan things/share out the work with your DP/DH? Are you not having this conversation or is your DH not respectful enough to share the load?

All this feminist moaning, we may not be able to change everything overnight, but you can make it work for you both in your own home I would have thought.

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 25-Dec-11 08:54:58

Happy Patriarchymas everyone!

SGM I'm jealous of you having a stocking! Sounds lovely though. DC didn't wake up until gone 8 this morning. Lovely lie in for me! (DH is working today so he was already up and out).

Also going to BIL and SILs today for dinner. BIL is doing the cooking. Hurrah!

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 25-Dec-11 09:04:31

KeepingUpWithTheCojones Sun 25-Dec-11 09:13:32

I've been lurking on these boards and would like to thank all of you for changing the way I think in the past year.

This year DH has written the cards to his family, done all his own shopping and wrapped all his own presents. Looking back, we couldn't believe that this was something that before I'd just automatically done. It's strange to think that we didn't even realise we weren't equal in that respect before.

Hope everyone has a good day.

smile

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Sun 25-Dec-11 09:17:06

I must start preparing myself something for Christmas. But seems a bit disheartening when I have no DP to buy on my behalf. :/

DS is surrounded by a pile of wrapping paper and toys, and for all the anti-Christmas feelings I had yesterday, I'm feeling kinda smug today, after seeing how his face lit up.

DBestFriend bought me The Beauty Myth, Living Dolls and Female Chauvinist Pigs, so happy with that.... grin

Happy Patriarchymas!

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 25-Dec-11 09:21:33

SardineQueen Sun 25-Dec-11 09:23:57

IT'S PATRI-ARCHY-MASSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! <STOMP STOMP STOMP>

Doesn't have the same ring does it grin

Have a good one all smile

Chandon Sun 25-Dec-11 09:25:17

Went to church with the little ones yesterday. DH did not come as "could not be bothered".

However, now that there is LOADS of work to do this morning, he has decided it is essential for him to go to church. On his own.

....he doesn't know I have a PLAN though. I have decided that 2012 will be the year where we will share the household chores more equally, and also the year where I will find a job (and regain some independence).

Time for a change in the Chandon household.

merry Christwomen to all! (and Merry Women's Greetings to the non religious)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now