Feminism Chat Thread V

(589 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hello everyone. I've got my Mum visiting at the moment, having a ball playing with DS and just generally hanging out. Back to working VERY HARD on monday, but right now enjoying some wisdom from the mother unit and enjoying a break from singing "Twinkle, twinkle, little star" on a constant loop, as she is having such a good time teaching him all the actions...

They're MAD about each other! Times like this, I wish I lived closer to her. Well, closer than 3,300 miles apart, anyway!

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 05-Jan-12 20:09:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheBossofMe Fri 06-Jan-12 08:55:50

Blakcurrants - me too, Dd loves it when "Gma" comes to stay, wish it could be more often.

Had a fun day shopping, am now filling the freezer with cooked meals ready for the inevitable slog at work in Jan. post Christmas often means late nights working, so am preparing for my nights to cook by cooking them all now.

<<wonders whether it's anti feminist to love cooking and domesticity>>

She left yesterday, and it was the hardest I've ever found it to say "Bye mum!" and put her on a train/plane. An utterly lovely visit, and DS's talking came on in leaps and bounds while she was here- she kept on asking him questions, and he kept on talking - my eyes were opened! smile

msrisotto Tue 23-Oct-12 07:56:44

Hi, resurrecting this old thread as I didn't want to start a new one but wanted to rant anyway.

Facebook.

At least it let's you know who's a dick head. Today/yesterday, it was a friend of my husband. Saying how the people coming forward about being attacked by Jimmy Saville were after money! I said that was nasty and his friend came on to support him and also mention that the women were lying and whats the point of dragging it up now when hes not here to defend himself. I left the conversation and defriended him. I am just sickened by this disgusting white male posh boy privilege displayed here. Thank god someone is there to defend those poor vulnerable paedophiles eh?! Sick sick sick. Apparently this 'friend' is coming over this weekend too. I can't wait.

Oh, what a wanker.

What did your DH reckon to it? Would he be up for telling this 'friend' not to come.

I wouldn't want someone like that in your house.

AbigailAdams Tue 23-Oct-12 12:01:51

Some people really show their true colours don't they over subjects like this. I don't envy you at all if he has to come round msrisotto. I find myself being very PA in those type of situations because I just want to tell them to fuck off but can't.

Not that I am recommending that as a strategy as it really doesn't work and makes you look a bit childish grin

msrisotto Tue 23-Oct-12 18:28:02

DH is a great ostrich so after making a concerned 'what a wanker' type facial expression, he promptly ignored it. He might think about meeting his friend out somewhere rather than bring him home as he might guess the reception he'll get from me!

My passive aggressive thing doesn't work to full effect when I'm so disgusted by someone I can't bring myself to look at them! They get the hint! [aboutastransparentasmilk]

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Wed 24-Oct-12 10:56:37

Hi msrisotto I never understand the money argument. Even apart from how horrid it is, it's illogical. If you wanted only money, surely you would blackmail with the threat of going public and not actually go public. If you go public, whilst there may be some nominal fees for newspaper interviews, they are hardly likely to be life changing.

It's not like we can't move for millionaire rape/abuse survivors, is it? Grr.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 01-Nov-12 08:52:07

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck

Halfords advert on the radio, woman automatically gives job of changing headlight to husband, husband fails, woman says "ooh, my nails, I'm not doing it", woman goes to Halfords who fix it, woman comes back and taunts husband about having got a real man to do it.

Nice work, ad agency. Did you give the intern ten minutes or fifteen to think that one up?

KRITIQ Thu 01-Nov-12 10:11:57

Doctrine, that made me laugh actually. My late mum used to drive an old banger that had some kind of wiring problem which meant one of the headlights burnt out quite frequently. She carried a supply of spare lamps in the boot and just changed them when and wherever needed. My dad wouldn't have had a clue (he had many excellent qualities but DIY and care maintenance wasn't amongst them.)

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 08-Nov-12 18:00:08

Interesting article about the split of female/male votes in the US election:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20231337

(shame about the "pink-hued blip" phrase)

Some quotes:

A historic number of female representative were elected, including the first openly gay senator (Tammy Baldwin, Wisconsin), the first Asian-American female senator (Mazie Hirono, Hawaii) and the first female military veteran wounded in combat (Representative Tammy Duckworth, Illinois).

Massachusetts elected its first female senator, and New Hampshire will be the first state to send an all-female delegation to Congress.

Thanks to a surge of both female and minority candidates, white men will no longer constitute the majority of the Democratic House caucus.

In 1992, a similar boon for female candidates resulted in five new female senators, and ushered in something called "the year of the woman" - a label one of the women in question, Barbara Mikulski, a democratic representative from Maryland, found objectionable

"We're not a fad, a fancy, or a year," she said at the time. The label, she said, made it sound as if every other year was not a year for women.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 08-Nov-12 19:34:39

Bbc sportswoman of the year tonight:
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20248716

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 19-Nov-12 09:22:50

Grr.

Talking to my aunt yesterday, who is a retired hospital pathologist, discussing her DD, a qualified doctor training to be an anesthetist. As soon as the discussion turned general, the pronoun switched to 'he' - eg "the anaesthetist is very important, he does this and that"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now