Bechdel Test Thread

(331 Posts)
TrilllianAstra Wed 22-Jun-11 20:52:16

I thought having a thread for "I just watched this and it passed/failed and I thought..." would be good to encourage me to think of the Bechdel test when watching TV/films or reading books. I wonbe watching/reading anything on purpose for the thread, just thought I would apply it to whatever I happened to be watching or reading.

The test doesn't necessarily say that a film is feminist/antifeminist, but it is interesting.

Rules reminder:
Are there at least two women (some versions say "two women with names")
Who have a conversation
About something other than a man?

Feel free to join in smile

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 13-May-13 06:14:17

Lou, it isn't really a measure of feminism. It's a measure of the extent to which women are agents as opposed to adjuncts to the men in the film.

Lio Mon 13-May-13 10:14:21

Apologies, haven't time to read thread so possibly a repeat, but...

Iron Man Three passes the Bechdel test. Rebecca Hall and Gwyneth Paltrow talk about Rebecca Hall' s work for about ten seconds. Slightly less good (and avoiding spoilers): a woman gets shot dead by a man in a position of power over her, and the biggest groups of women are contestants in a beauty pageant wearing bikinis and what I assume are trafficked women being kept for sex.

But it does pass the Bechdel test and I enjoyed it a lot.

louisianablue2000 Mon 13-May-13 13:46:13

Well the reason I used The African Queen as an example of a film that fails the test is precisely because there is no way anyone would think it was a film in which the female character is an adjunct to the male character.

It's an interesting test because of the broad results across all films, if only a few films failed (e.g. the war films previously mentioned) that's fine but I think over half of all films fail and some barely pass which shows there is a systemic problem.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 13-May-13 18:44:54

Haven't seen it, Lou - does it fail the reverse test ie the only conversation between two named men in the film is about a woman?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 17-May-13 09:26:45

Bump

Skybore Fri 17-May-13 11:11:37

OneHandFlapping Sat 11-May-13 09:13:02
Can anyone think of a film/tv show that passes a reverse Bechdel test?
I mean two or fewer men in it, who don't have a conversation, or if they do, it's about one of the women characters?
Becasue one doesn't immediately spring to mind.

Yes, Showgirls again! Passes all ways smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now