Chipping away at abortion rights: govt appoints Life as sexual health adviser

(177 Posts)
Prolesworth Tue 24-May-11 23:25:37

Message withdrawn

sakura Wed 25-May-11 06:12:19

Then I think women should stop having sex.

They'll change their mind quick sharp, and the amount of happy hookers will decline too, I should imagine.

sakura Wed 25-May-11 06:13:23

They= the men in power (and their tokens) who makes these decisions.

A sex drought is the only answer. Why would women put themselves at risk of an unwanted pregnancy? Sex is good but not that good. Ever.

Himalaya Wed 25-May-11 07:22:54

Hmmm. I don't think the women of England are going to give up sex because one group has joined an advisory forum, and one group has been left off.

Prolesworth Wed 25-May-11 09:26:14

Message withdrawn

Prolesworth Wed 25-May-11 10:07:50

Message withdrawn

Himalaya Wed 25-May-11 10:19:25

Prolesworth - I agree its worrying (although not that worrying, I don't think Nadine Dorries' bill is going to get anywhere).

I just don't think an 'all out' sex strike is a viable proposal, do you?

Prolesworth Wed 25-May-11 10:20:16

Message withdrawn

Prolesworth Wed 25-May-11 10:28:59

Message withdrawn

ChinnyReckon Wed 25-May-11 10:31:48

I feel like the Conservative party despise women, especially poor women. I wish there was something I could do about this.

Prolesworth Wed 25-May-11 11:05:34

Message withdrawn

Himalaya Wed 25-May-11 11:06:03

Prolesworth -

You are right I am not familiar with radical feminist thought, I tend to try to understand what people are saying on the basis of what they say - So i take it when Sakura says 'Then I think women should stop having sex. ' that that she means something like -- a good way to oppose this change in the composition of the advisory forum would be for women to stop having sex --i.e. a practical suggestion, which get me thinking how many women would do this, is it likely to be successful as a campaigning strategy etc.. if what she means is 'in general women should not have PIV sex' then that would be a different sentence altogether (and weirdly close to what the Life people espouse..)

To me your argument for why women should have access to abortion, contraception and fact based sex education seems back to front.

It does not need the 'ifs' proceeding it - if men insist on ejaculating, because the social structure is hostile to mothers etc....

Women should have access to abortion, contraception and fact based sex education. full stop. I don't see why it needs any conditions about what men do or how society is set up. If society was absolutely set up to support parenthood, and every single sexual episode was initiated and orchestrated by women, they should still be able to have sex without having the risk of pregnancy.

Prolesworth Wed 25-May-11 11:12:28

Message withdrawn

BarryShitpeas Wed 25-May-11 11:17:18

Fucks sake my jaw is on the fucking floor here.

Just read the Guardian article on it.

Now reading Prolesworth's list of Gove's sponsors it has dropped further.

shock angry

Will write to mp def... what else can I do?

Himalaya Wed 25-May-11 11:17:39

Prolesworth -

I am not defending this abstinence-only stuff, I think it is misguided and wrong and ineffective. But I also think we need to be accurate.

I read your post and list and got all angry and thought this is fucking despicable, and was about to write to my MP and say how could the government set up a Council and only invite abstinence organisations to join.

Then I looked at the press release and it seems like this is an umbrella body set up by those interest groups, and they had a launch in parliament with an MP speaking and Micheal Gove sent his best wishes. Which is a different thing altogether.

Prolesworth Wed 25-May-11 11:20:17

Message withdrawn

charitygirl Wed 25-May-11 11:23:13

Agreed Himalaya re: the difference, but not everyone might get that from the info available. I work for a non-abstinence (I would say non-agenda led) SRE provider and was about to go ballistic, but then realised its a group of like minded orgs (I will be keeping a very close eye von their campaign activities though!), not a Govt. advisory board! Thank Gawd for that!

charitygirl Wed 25-May-11 11:24:38

Prolesworth - honestly, it's not Gove's council. It's not that bad...yet!

The stuff in your OP link though, definitely is.

Prolesworth Wed 25-May-11 11:24:42

Message withdrawn

ChinnyReckon Wed 25-May-11 11:25:58

Exactly, it does feel like a rising tide of bullshit and I feel quite powerless. It's like a huge step back for women and people seem to be unaware of it.

I'm not very articulate or political, but I actually feel 'fearful' at some of the idealogies that are influencing current policy. I would group this anti-abortion/abstinence rubbish together with the reduction in tax credits/childcare help; the mixed message of women should be out at work/women should be home raising their children; the 'not serious rape' issue'; the reduction in access to Legal Aid; changes to CSA maintainance and probably more that I cant think of the moment. Women come off worse in all of this! How are they getting away with it? Why are more women not protesting? What, really, can we do?

Prolesworth Wed 25-May-11 11:28:41

Message withdrawn

ShirleyKnot Wed 25-May-11 11:35:11

Oh no. I've read the bloody thread now and the fury is upon me. WHY do I do it? WHY?

Right. I'm going to have protest. Letter to my MP what is the point?

what else?

Prolesworth Wed 25-May-11 11:38:49

Message withdrawn

ChinnyReckon Wed 25-May-11 11:39:50

'In Richmond, south-west London, the Catholic Children's Society has taken over the £89,000 contract to provide advice to schoolchildren on matters including contraception and pregnancies'

That alone is unbelievable.

ShirleyKnot Wed 25-May-11 11:41:24

This is why I try not to come over here too much. It makes me so angry - all of it and I just can't cope! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now