David Cameron to Yvette Cooper "Calm down, dear"

(62 Posts)
Bennifer Wed 27-Apr-11 12:21:47

Just heard this on PMQ, not exactly sure what happened, so I may have my facts wrong. I'm going to follow this one

Superdooperal Wed 27-Apr-11 13:46:20

What does anyone expect from the man who is cutting Suretsart, playgrounds, child benefit etc. When did he ever think women were important?

spongefingerssavedmylife Wed 27-Apr-11 13:52:53

I think it's funny. I'm sure most front benchers can deal with such phrases, It's hardly like being thumped by John Prescott is is?

Ephiny Wed 27-Apr-11 13:56:51

He might have said it to a man, but in that case it would be the good old tactic of insulting a man by implying he's like a woman, which would not really be much better...

Ephiny Wed 27-Apr-11 13:57:54

I'm sure women polititians can 'cope' by the way, I expect they have to be fairly thick-skinned as a rule and have probably heard worse in their careers. Doesn't make it acceptable though.

chubsasaurus Wed 27-Apr-11 14:08:46

It's a silly remark made at PMQs, this is all totally ridiculous and Mumsnet discussing this in such an OTT way makes us look like deranged harridans as many suspect.

She should have calmed down, screaming across the chamber is not a good look.

80Furr Wed 27-Apr-11 14:12:17

I am totally baffled by the uproar at this. Its rude, cheeky, patronising, yes... But they all go on at each other like that all the time. I can't really see what's sexist about it?!?! He didn't say "is it the time of the month love?" now did he? I say 'calm down dear' to my husband and my mother, equally, in the same sort of patronising manner. How is that sexist?!?

QuelleLeJeff Wed 27-Apr-11 14:15:18

And it's very important that lady MP's are ladylike at all times eh, clubsasaurus?

gallicgirl Wed 27-Apr-11 14:21:38

It's bloody patronising with sexist overtones.

I'd want to hit my DP if he said anything like this and it would be a sure fire way of making me even crosser.

I got the impression that Dave wasn't giving her much of a chance to say anything so shouting was her only option.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 27-Apr-11 14:43:36

they all shout at each other during PMQs. He picked on her and chose to use this kind of language, because he wanted to put her down, specifically.

noddyholder Wed 27-Apr-11 14:45:09

I was watching on sky news shocking really and hugely patronising The tone was vomit inducing but what do you expect? Esp disgusted at the titterers beside him.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 27-Apr-11 14:57:53

Nick Clegg was looking skywards as if he was embarrassed at what was beside him.

noddyholder Wed 27-Apr-11 15:12:15

I wish clegg would bloody jump ship and show some back bone He has made a huge error of judgement probably based on a combination of ego and ignorance

www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/apr/27/david-cameron-calm-down-dear

Disgraceful. Would never have said it to a man. Yuk David, yuk.

He has never, and I suspect WILL never, use 'dear' to address a man in parliment. Therefore it is sexist.

and fuck off Lucy Jones

blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/lucyjones/100053061/pmqs-whose-boobs-are-these/

Todays events were bad enough without you lowering the tone. Who gives a crap who's boobs they were...??????!!!! shame on you.

forkful Wed 27-Apr-11 15:47:38

"screaming across the chamber is not a good look" - have you ever seen PMQs hmm

who cares about "a good look" in THC - heckling/correcting/challenging is all part of the debate and out political process.

<Have just unleashed a mamoth rant post on the other thread BTW> wink

celadon Wed 27-Apr-11 15:51:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StayFr0sty Wed 27-Apr-11 16:01:20

What depresses me is how unsurprised i am. Shine of ham is a sexist twat you say? No shit sherlock.

Some lovely comments on the other thread, about feminists and our cardigans made out of our own hair and whatever. Funny how it's ok to talk about this board like that, but it's us who are the big meanies. Say i posted here referring to thicko stepfords with their hideous nail extensions and their twigs n pebbly shit, i'd get a right shit storm. And rightly so, because that would be mean and nasty and that is why i would never do such a thing wink

naughty wink

What other thread do you refer to?

forkful Wed 27-Apr-11 16:04:38

oooooh it was in AIBU... that explins the response. It's a scary world out there isn't it.

CappaFrappaChino Wed 27-Apr-11 16:10:43

worth a watch on youtube. Looks like he directed it to the 2 females at the front of the bench - one of them being Ed Ball's wife. Ed Balls was asking him who he was referring to 'calm down dear' presumably he would have squared up on him if it had been directed as his missus.

The PM said he wouldn't apologise. Shame on him.

CappaFrappaChino Wed 27-Apr-11 16:14:15

Its worth a watch on youtube. Looks like he directed it to the 2 females at the front of the bench - one of them being Ed Ball's wife. Ed Balls was asking him who he was referring to 'calm down dear' - wrong move Mr Cameron.

The PM said he wouldn't apologise.

Completely and utterly disappointed by the PM's attitudes and behaviours. How dare he pick on and try to publicly humiliate female MP's.

He better apologise. TWIT.

DontdoitKatie Wed 27-Apr-11 16:33:17

Response from women MPs

"Eagle said she had been "patronised by better people than the prime minister", adding that Cameron should instead be apologising for the economy, which had "effectively flatlined for six months".

She told BBC News: "I don't think any modern man would have expressed himself in that way.

"The prime minister is responsible for what he says in the Commons. I think if there is an apology to make it should be for the dreadful growth figures we have seen today, which demonstrated that the economy has effectively flatlined for six months."

She said it was up to Cameron "as to whether he wants to annoy 51% of the population".

Labour's Caroline Flint accused Cameron of using the word "dear" to "put women down", and said she had been on the receiving end of the same tactic from the communities secretary, Eric Pickles, in the chamber last December, when he told her to "just get behind the programme then, dear".

Labour's deputy leader, Harriet Harman, said: "David Cameron's contemptuous response to Angela Eagle MP at prime minister's questions today shows his patronising and outdated attitude to women.

"Women in Britain in the 21st century do not expect to be told to 'calm down, dear' by their prime minister.""

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now