David Cameron to Yvette Cooper "Calm down, dear"

(62 Posts)
Bennifer Wed 27-Apr-11 12:21:47

Just heard this on PMQ, not exactly sure what happened, so I may have my facts wrong. I'm going to follow this one

Meglet Wed 27-Apr-11 12:23:11

I have it on too (am off sick).

Wasn't totally paying attention but from what I heard I was WTF shock angry?

jetgirl Wed 27-Apr-11 12:27:09

I understood it was to Ed Balls, but I'm listening not watching. Either way, he sounded like a patronising idiot.

Preggersplayspop Wed 27-Apr-11 12:27:27

Did he really say that?! I am shocked, that's patronising and disrespectful.

yama Wed 27-Apr-11 12:29:54

I think it was to Ed Balls. He certainly got the most animated about it. Turned it off soon after I saw that as Cameron's smugness was getting to me.

yama Wed 27-Apr-11 12:31:29

He said it at least three times with a hand gesture. Seemed to be towards Balls.

LilyBolero Wed 27-Apr-11 12:33:42

Cameron is an odious twat. Only surpassed by his little friend the chancellor.

chrisonabike Wed 27-Apr-11 12:34:17

channeling Michael Winner - that'd be about Cameron's level of 'humour'

FFS

thebestisyettocome Wed 27-Apr-11 12:35:34

If he said that he needs to fucking apologise NOW.

Bennifer Wed 27-Apr-11 12:36:29

I've only heard it on the radio, so I'm waiting to see the footage of it. If it's true, it's massively offensive.

sfxmum Wed 27-Apr-11 12:36:46

it is PMQ's never the most edifying of exchanges, and we seldom get to hear the worst of it from the telly, quite a lot doe not reach our ears, it can be quite vile

Straight2Extremes Wed 27-Apr-11 12:42:07

The "calm down" was to Yvette, followed by "most annoying person in modern politics" to Ed. But a lot of that stuff happens in politics often laughable softened with the words honorable lady/gentleman

Bennifer Wed 27-Apr-11 13:20:46

The twittersphere seems to suggest it was directed at Angela Eagle

Meglet Wed 27-Apr-11 13:22:46

Shit, it was to Angela Eagle.

BBC1 now.

Twat.

yama Wed 27-Apr-11 13:25:45

Yes, sorry - just watched on bbc1 news. He eyeballed Angela as he said it. He then said to Ed Balls "I'll say it to you if you like" when Ed protested.

Bennifer Wed 27-Apr-11 13:26:25

I've posted in AIBU if appropriate to get a wider audience on this

nowit Wed 27-Apr-11 13:27:27

omg, he can't get away with that!

chubsasaurus Wed 27-Apr-11 13:34:30

Erm....

Storm, meet teacup.

Calm down. Not everything is overt sexism designed to push women back into the kitchen. Jesus.

QuelleLeJeff Wed 27-Apr-11 13:35:16

He wouldn't have said it to a man though would he?

And michael winner is a superating sexist fuckhole so, y'know? Maybe holding him up as a humourist is a bit...shit.

BibiBlocksberg Wed 27-Apr-11 13:39:33

So glad to see this is being discussed here too.

The crap being spouted on the AIBU thread atm is making me want to scream with frustration angry

Of course it is sexist. And disrespectful and probably inaccurate! Women know your place and all that.

QuelleLeJeff Wed 27-Apr-11 13:40:30

Oh shit, I thought I'd posted this on the AIBU one. <slinks off>

ViolaTricolor Wed 27-Apr-11 13:40:38

Sexist shite, spouted by a fuckwit quoting a fuckwit.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 27-Apr-11 13:43:11

They said on Sky it was to Yvette Cooper. Not sure but he then tried to say it to Ed Balls as well, probably because he realised that he sounded like a sexist arsehole.

mrsbaldwin Wed 27-Apr-11 13:43:13

Chubsaurus - he is the PM speaking to senior female politician.

Yes, on one level they are all used to hurling insults at each other.

But at another level this is gonna be all over the TV etc today - already is.

I don't want any twatty blokes thinking they now have even more of an excuse to put women down because the PM is doing it.

In my view David Cameron just knocked some gloss off his 'I'm a modern Tory' spin.

Is that what he says to SamCam at home?

He should retract the remark saying he has realised it sends a wrong signal and Angela Eagle should look modest and say 'don't worry I'm not upset, I'm bigger than that'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now