anyone else fed up with horrible lyrics in pop songs?

(8 Posts)
maighdlin Thu 14-Apr-11 19:06:51

I have noticed lately a lot of pop songs are messed up and i can't believe how popular they are when you listen to what the lyrics are saying. I first noticed this with Chase and Status' song Let You Go. This song give me the creeps as it sounded exactly what a wife beater would say to his wife (or husband beater to her husband) lyrics here and this was a very successful song!

today i was on my way to the hospital and was listening to the radio and they played katy perry's new song ET, which included these lovely lyrics sang by Kanye West

Tell me what's next, alien sex
I'ma disrobe you, than I'mma probe you
See I abducted you, so I tell ya what to do
I tell ya what to do, what to do, what to do

This song was being played at 9.20am!! What kind of message is this sending to young girls and boys?? You would think Katy Perry who is popular amongst children would not have such horrible lyrics in her song.

Am i being sensitive or has anyone else noticed lyrics like these?

ongakgak Thu 14-Apr-11 19:09:10

I know, it is gross, and then she goes on to say something like-

Kiss me, kiss me, inject me with your poison, wanna be your victim.

NICE hmm

alexpolismum Thu 14-Apr-11 19:26:17

this is why I don't listen to music on the radio very often. I put my old cds on (when I'm not being forced to listen to nursery rhymes!) and I'm much happier.

SixtyFootDoll Thu 14-Apr-11 19:30:17

That KAty Perry one is awful, it made my blood boil. THat and Rhianna's S and M i really despair.
I never thought of myself as a feminist but I hate the way that women have become nothing but sex objects over the past few years. We seem to be going backwards, and even worse complicit in it.

backjustforaminute Thu 14-Apr-11 19:35:57

I've started noticing this over the last couple of years <sign of getting old emoticon> Especially Rihanna. I can't think of a single song of hers where the lyrics aren't gross.

I don't really like Lady Gaga's videos (whole other thread!) but I quite like the lyrics, Born this way is quite girl powery.

longislandicetea Thu 14-Apr-11 19:37:55

I heard that Katy Perry song and wondered if I had heard it correctly...alien sex hmm

And this is why I stick to rock/metal.

I'd rather be emo than most pop/RnB/rap shite these days.

ashleywilliam Tue 22-Jan-13 12:08:30

I also heard that Katy Perry song and i really love that song

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now