Women twice as likely as men to be depressed

(84 Posts)
dittany Tue 11-Jan-11 22:57:33

"Women in crisis as depression fuels binge-drinking and sex - research

Generations of women are in crisis due to relationship breakdown, bereavement or debt, according to a report warning that one in three has taken anti-depressants.
By Tim Ross, Social Affairs Editor 7:00AM GMT 11 Jan 2011

More than 15 million women have suffered mental health problems of some kind, and are twice as likely as men to be depressed, the study said.

Depression can be highly damaging, leading women to
engage in “self-destructive” behaviour such as drinking, sexual promiscuity and building up debt, according to the report, released by support group Platform 51, formerly the YWCA.

The group called on ministers to review the “over-reliance” on anti-depressant drugs to treat mild and moderate mental health problems and to make counselling and psychotherapy more easily available to women.

The study suggested girls and women were almost
twice as likely as boys and men to suffer from depression, anxiety, self-harm, eating disorders and low self-esteem.

The report, Women like me: supporting wellbeing in girls and women, warned there was evidence that women’s mental health was getting worse.

It said: “Our research shows approximately 15.2 million women aged 12 and over in England and Wales have been affected by mental health problems of some kind.
“In 2009 an NHS report† revealed that female mental health is worsening with increasing numbers of women suffering depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts.”"

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8251259/Women-in-c risis-as-depression-fuels-binge-drinking-and-sex-r esearch.html

They don't mention that living in a woman hating society which is getting worse could be having an effect on women's deteriorating mental health.

Last time around it was valium women were prescribed before the women's movement came along to sort out women's real problems, this time it's citalopram.

roseability Tue 11-Jan-11 23:06:44

I had an awful thought that occured to me during a dark hour in the middle of the night once.

Are women depressed because we are angry? I have heard that depression is anger turned on yourself? And is that anger perfectly legitimate?

Anger at being treated as second class citizens.

Anger that a good proportion of us have been abused by men in some way

And then came the really worrying thought. That maybe we are told we have an organic mental illness and pills thrown at us because that is what the patriarchy wants us to believe. That there is something wrong with us, when actually depression and anger is a perfectly natural reaction to this injustice

mishymoshy Tue 11-Jan-11 23:09:42

Yes depression is anger turned inwards.

I have grown up knowing that as soon as I reach a certain age I will become invisible. It sucks.

When I have a baby I want it to be a boy, so it doesn't have to take any of this crap.

dittany Tue 11-Jan-11 23:17:25

That's pretty much what feminist analysis of the mental health system says roseability.

I don't think there's anything wrong with women. I think sadness and distress are reasonable responses to an unreasonable situation.

Dave80 Tue 11-Jan-11 23:23:10

Then why are men several times more likely to commit suicide?

"The suicide rate for men in their 40s is 3.5 times higher than it is for women.

The suicide rate for men in their 50s is 4 times higher than it is for women.

The suicide rate for men in their 60s is 5 times higher than it is for women.

http://www.menstuff.org/issues/byissue/suicide.htm l"

dittany Tue 11-Jan-11 23:24:21

Because men are far, far more violent than women.

Including to themselves.

You boys need to sort out your violence issues.

Now this is a thread about women, and our mental health. If you want to talk about chaps find another place to do it.

Dave80 Tue 11-Jan-11 23:30:44

Where's your source women are twice as likely to be depressed than men? Do you think men don't have any problems?

dittany Tue 11-Jan-11 23:34:39

Can't you read?

Or are you just too busy looking for your willy so you can show it to the gals on the other thread.

roseability Tue 11-Jan-11 23:36:07

I was depressed and I was raised by a misogynist bully. I once saw a male psychiatrist who dismissed my worries about having been sexually abused out of hand. He tried to medicate me but I had been there and it just numbed the pain.

Now I am angry but I am not depressed. I am angry because I realise that I was abused.

roseability Tue 11-Jan-11 23:37:58

But that anger is rightly directed at my abusers and society at large and not on myself

roseability Tue 11-Jan-11 23:38:46

I suppose you can link it back to Freud and his whole hysterical women theory?

dittany Tue 11-Jan-11 23:39:12

I've had about two weeks of depression in the past seven years after becoming a radical feminist. And I only got depressed at that time because some very heavy stuff came up from childhood.

I'd say feminism and female rage pointed in the right direction are an inoculation against female depression.

Dave80 Tue 11-Jan-11 23:39:25

You avoided my question.

dittany Tue 11-Jan-11 23:41:08

I didn't avoid it. Read the fucking thread again and you'll get your answer.

Jeez.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 11-Jan-11 23:41:50

I'm going to think about the comparison with men - sorry. The thread title does refer to it though...

What is the overall population trend for depression? Is it increasing across the board?

Dave80 Tue 11-Jan-11 23:42:03

Where's your fucking source you have things twice as bad?

TheFallenMadonna Tue 11-Jan-11 23:43:03

Oi, Dave. The OP C&P the source. And dittany has said that she thinks men have a problem with violence. She has directly answered both your questions, before they were even put hmm

dittany Tue 11-Jan-11 23:43:46

OK, you can't read. There's nothing I can do about that.

Dave80 Tue 11-Jan-11 23:43:59

Are you implying no women have a problem with violence? Are men always the perpretrators?

TheFallenMadonna Tue 11-Jan-11 23:44:41

And here is the report.

roseability Tue 11-Jan-11 23:44:55

I am only starting out on my feminist journey but I feel better already smile

dittany Tue 11-Jan-11 23:45:00

I think he's just so overexcited that a woman asked to see his penis that the words have gone all hazy.

dittany Tue 11-Jan-11 23:48:21

I wonder why they changed the YWCA's name to Platform 51. Seems a bit random.

Roseability, it doesn't get a mention, but I think feminism helps women's self esteem and self knowledge enormously. It has for me.

(Thanks TFM)

mishymoshy Tue 11-Jan-11 23:48:37

Dave, you're assuming that the successful suicide figure for a group is in direct proportion to how depressed that group is overall. It isn't.

roseability Tue 11-Jan-11 23:49:40

grin

In what ways do you think woman hating has got worse dittany?

I have to admit when I read threads like that one about removing pubic hair I do wonder hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now