Does Games Workshop break equality laws?

(79 Posts)
belledechocolatefluffybunny Fri 03-Sep-10 23:43:40

considering 99% of it's staff are male and 99% of it's stock are plastic figures of men? The only female figures they have are half naked women with a push up bra. Ds is going to an event at the local store tomorrow and the mothers were asked to supply a cake!

juneybean Fri 03-Sep-10 23:45:10

are females actually applying for the job?

belledechocolatefluffybunny Fri 03-Sep-10 23:46:40

Yes according to the manager here. Not many to be honest. 25% of the people going into the shop here are female yet only a very small percentage of the stock is aimed at them.

juneybean Fri 03-Sep-10 23:53:54

Apologies I'm not really into feminism so ignore me if I'm not making any sense.

Games workshop and figurines obviously has its target market of say teenage boys to young adult boys, but of course you're going to get the odd girls that are interested in that sort of thing.

It's like World of Warcraft, it's not necessarily aimed at men but it's men that tend to like playing that sort of game.

Perhaps the reason the staff are 99% male is because the men that apply at the same time as women have more indepth knowledge about the product.

But I'm waffling lol so feel free to ignore me grin

belledechocolatefluffybunny Fri 03-Sep-10 23:57:32
juneybean Sat 04-Sep-10 00:10:36

No I guess not, but when I think of how I remember my brother playing, it's probably because us women are far too superior to play such a boring game LOL

I really can't understand the enjoyment they get from it

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sat 04-Sep-10 00:12:13

No, I can't either. It's a great place for missfits though, it's just not female friendly.

Treetrunkthighs Sat 04-Sep-10 00:26:47

I worked for them, admittedly in the head office, and I was one of 4 women in the entire place. I was young and I loved it!

They pay pitiful wages so the vast majority of employees are working there because they love the whole thing and it is more of an extension of their hobby than 'work'.

I have no point, oh well smile

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sat 04-Sep-10 00:30:14

Can you email them and suggest that they include women alot more? smile

fuschiagroan Sat 04-Sep-10 00:32:45

Just going on my personal acquaintance (not at all scientific) I don't know any women who are/were into Games Workshop-type stuff, but quite a few boys were. Maybe it is just that the guys they hired were the absolute nerdiest (in a nice way) whereas maybe most girls had applied because it's an alright job in a shop not because they love it.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sat 04-Sep-10 00:34:46

Maybe. I do know that a fair few girls go into the shop here though, the boys get figures to build that are big and strong, the girls get half dressed women with big tits hmm

Goblinchild Sat 04-Sep-10 07:39:33

I would agree that any establishment should employ on an equal basis, but I also expect staff to have a level of understanding and knowledge about the products they are selling and the games. So If I went in and found 50% of the staff female, hurrah. If they consistently knew less about the stock, wre less enthusiastic and patient and constantly had to refer to male staff for information, I would be less so.
DS spends a lot of time in GW, he tends to concentrate on whether the figures are LOTR, vampires or trolls and the like.
They offer a level of acceptance, patience, advice and enthusiasm that exists rarely for my DS in the NT world.
All of the young men in the shop are passionate about painting and playing and have obviously chosen a job linked with a main leisure interest of their own. If the women applying for jobs were equally keen, and informed, then I think you'd have a case, but I'd need evidence which I'm not seeing in the customer base.
The wages are indeed crap.

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 04-Sep-10 10:23:22

definatly half naked

link battle sisters

not

When you see most of the people that play this game there are not many of them that would even think "large breasted, scantily clad"

ISNT Sat 04-Sep-10 11:13:45

I would imagine that there aren't hordes of females applying for jobs in games workshop TBH, rather than it being a sexist conspiracy.

I happen to know that the Games Worshop inhouse professional painters (ie very important and always featured in the montly magazine) we until recently 2 women out of a team of 6, now there is one. I have been to a convention about this sort of thing (don't ask) and while walking around commented to DH that I couldn't think of another situation where I could be in a situation so predominantly male and feel so totally relaxed. And there was a dalek!

From personal experience I also think that men and boys who are into this sort of thing (fantasy/sci-fi and sciencey types) are in general the least sexist men I have met.

So while I can see the point about yes it's all male figures, and the men in the shops are, well, men, and the customers are all male.... i don't personally think it's a cause for concern. I have never felt unwelcome in a games workshop shop, which I have done very much in some otehr "male" environments over the years.

The women figures being scantily clad... Well yes OK I'l give you that. I can't see much wrong with the attire of the woman in the first pic you linked to though... And again, in fantasy worlds female charaters are just as hard as the male ones.

I can't get worked up about this one, sorry smile

PLUS do we really want equal men/women in all shops? I don't want men flogging me knickers in john lewis. Maybe it is nice for boys to have somewhere to go where there are good older male role models for them? People are always saying that boys don't have enough male role models in their lives...

ISNT Sat 04-Sep-10 11:15:06

Hmm my post is a little incomprehensible in places. Sorry about that grin

edam Sat 04-Sep-10 11:39:36

That's the funny thing about women. Often happy to accept inequality. You wouldn't get a load of posters on a gay website saying it's fine that a company has a workforce that is 99% hetero and gay people don't feel that they can apply for jobs.

Dh is into all that stuff and I'm very happy for him to go in there on his own. But if it's true that their workforce is overwhelmingly male, they have a problem and they should be examining it and trying to ensure they are not excluding women, even if unintentionally.

ISNT Sat 04-Sep-10 11:51:13

I don;t think it's been established that women don't feel that they can apply for jobs in games workshop has it? Just that warhammer etc are predominantly played by boys and so the pool of experts ie the people working in the shops is pretty male. Like I say I have never felt uncomfortable in there.

Ditto you don't get many men working in claires accessories, I'm sure that they could if they wanted to, they just don't tend to apply.

This is very low paid work we're talking about. I get more annoyed about things like the skilled trades and anything to do with motor vehicles etc being male dominated - and in a way that women are made very aware that they aren't welcome. (This may have changed since I worked in an FE college, I hope so).

I personally think, from my experience with this stuff, that females are made very welcome if they want to join in. Just that most of the time, they don't.

If you want to change it so that women are really interested in playing Warhammer then that's a different question.

Do qualified women feel they can't apply for jobs at GW?

BellasFormerFriend Sat 04-Sep-10 11:58:14

I am a bit confused that you are making the point that their stock is not aimed at women...

They sell items for fantasy role play...erm..so people who are into fantasy roleplay go in and buy stuff for..fantasy roleplay..

I am sorry but how do you make that not aimed at women? It is like saying the local delicatesan is not aimed at horse riders because it only stocks food, unless I am missing something glaringly obvious you are not making much sense!

Goblinchild Sat 04-Sep-10 12:59:25

I agree that girls should be encouraged to engage in more fantasy role playing games and buy White Dwarf. Then they can also have access to the knowledge and skills acquired by the male staff and compete as equals.
As I said, I don't want to go in there with DS, have him ask some esoteric questions and each time have that member of staff have to refer his query to another. Especially if the ignorant one is female and the oracle is male.
Sends entirely the wrong message, she's employed because of her sex and not her relevant knowledge of the job. Might as well give her a Xenia costume.

ISNT Sat 04-Sep-10 14:17:43

Hahaha not our xenia i guess...

Shoulderpads, filofax, business suit, steely gaze at any pillock who makes the bungle of thinking she is not in charge as she is a female...

serenity Sat 04-Sep-10 14:28:01

What ISNT said.

I used to paint miniatures when I was younger, never felt uncomfortable in Games Workshop at all or felt it was aimed at boys although, yes, it seems to be filled with them! It's seen as geeky, weird and odd - maybe boys care less at being labelled like that as teens than girls do? The problem isn't sexism, it's genre-ism (ok, made up word, but you get what I mean smile)

edam Sat 04-Sep-10 15:01:25

Why do you assume that a woman working in Games Workshop would be incompetent, Goblin?

ISNT Sat 04-Sep-10 15:09:51

I think goblin was referring back to her earlier point that if GW made a policy to hire 50% female staff, and as a result had to hire women who were less knowledgable than the men, then it would be a problem.

TBH I know loads of blokes who have been into fantasy gaming, painting miniatures, RPGs and so on. And only about 1 woman who has had these inclinations. Women I meet tend to be more into sci-fi books/films/DVD and coputer based RPGs.

I just don't think that there is a huge pool of women who are clamouring for jobs at GW and being turned away due to discrimination. I really don't. Like I say, in the magazine, the expert painting team were until recently 2 women out of a team of 6, and they were featured as frequently as their male counterparts, and i never caught even a whiff of "ooh look this is good and a girl did it shock horror".

CarGirl Sat 04-Sep-10 15:17:00

The species that they use as their "races" are mainly based on historical tribes that fought, races out of the "Lord of the rings" and the futuristic stuff. Anything based on the first 2 types are going to be predominately male by default apart from the Amazonians.

None of my dds have shown any interest in either the models or the games whereas I know many boys of similar ages who are keen to come and view dh's collection...........

Goblinchild Sat 04-Sep-10 15:21:11

'Why do you assume that a woman working in Games Workshop would be incompetent, Goblin?'

I'm sorry if I gave you that impression, edam, I didn't intend to.

'I think goblin was referring back to her earlier point that if GW made a policy to hire 50% female staff, and as a result had to hire women who were less knowledgable than the men, then it would be a problem.'
ISNT, that was what I intended to say, thank you. grin

I've always found GW welcoming, but I was a D&D player back in the days when you used dice and wore funny hats. That was mostly male gaming too, but not unwelcoming to females.

CarGirl Sat 04-Sep-10 15:27:45

Dh plays an old GW game called Blood Bowl (it's like chess but with dice too) one of guys gf started to play and within 6 months started to do really well at the tournaments grin. Dh says it's very amusing when new players get drawn against her and assume she won't be that good! Her painting is pretty great too.

Goblinchild Sat 04-Sep-10 15:44:44

OH took DD with him a week or two ago, to buy a laptop. Saleswoman had to go and get a male member of staff to answer DD's questions, because she didn't understand a lot of what DD was asking her.
Male addressed his answers to OH, until OH said 'This is pointless. You deal with this (DD) and tell me when to pay.
And then he walked off.
DD decided to go elsewhere, and was particularly cross that the woman had been so feeble. She felt let down.
If you are employing people on an equal basis, they have to do the job equally well.

edam Sat 04-Sep-10 20:25:23

Yes Goblin, some men and women are not very good at their jobs. But the real problem staring us in the face is not that women are bad that their jobs, or any worse than men. It's that it will take women managers another 34 years to earn the same as male managers (which will be 70 odd years since the Equal Pay Act).

RamblingRosa Sat 04-Sep-10 20:42:52

Going back to the OP's original question, I guess it would depend on whether there was any evidence that women had been actively dissuaded from applying or had applied and had not got an interview in spite of being as well qualified as a male applicant and decided to take them to tribunal over it.

Chances are this won't happen because a) the company won't be so stupid as to actually state that they don't want women to apply (if indeed that's the case...it's perfectly possible that not many women want to work there...it does sound pretty dire!) b) young women seeking minimum wage work in retail aren't likely to take an employer to tribunal for something like that c) it's really hard to prove.

I agree with the point that someone made (think it was ISN'T) that getting more women into shitty low paid retail jobs isn't the next big challenge for feminism, it's getting more women into highly skilled, well paid work in sectors which are almost entirely dominated by men. 100% of apprentices in car manufacture are men. I think it's 97 or 98% in engineering. 99% in construction. All well paid sectors. 97% of hairdressing apprentices are women (majority earning about £100 per week). It's shocking. Still a long way to go....

Goblinchild Sat 04-Sep-10 21:36:54

I think edam would like an
'OMG girlfriend, you're just like sooo stupid emoticon'
It would save her a lot of typing to explain the obvious.

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 04-Sep-10 21:37:04

edam Sat 04-Sep-10 20:25:23

But the real problem staring us in the face is not that women are bad that their jobs, or any worse than men. It's that it will take women managers another 34 years to earn the same as male managers (which will be 70 odd years since the Equal Pay Act).

but not really part of the op's post.

I have only seen 2 women employed in a games workshop shop and their knowledge equalled that of their male counter parts.

given that they are asked direct questions about the game, not just "is this suitable for a 5 yr old" but things like "I have a choas marine army and I want to put in a possessed tank as it can regenerate health, how many tanks can I put in in an army of 1500 points and which units can prevent it from regenerating?" as well as having to be up to date on the latest and up coming rule changes included tournaments, they have to live and love the game.

In 30 (yes 30) years of playing I don't know many women that would want to go in to that much depth of knowledge. (not saying that they can't).

If my bank/phone company/mechanic knew as much as the staff at my hooby store I would be really happy.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sat 04-Sep-10 21:41:31

grin

I do think that more women work in retail then men as they need to work around school hours, retail is one of the few jobs that do this, even though the pay is crap. There's no equality in this, women are the main carers of children, they are the ones that are expected to take time off when they are ill, take them to the GP etc, not many men do this.

edam Sun 05-Sep-10 10:03:50

Thanks Goblin. hmm What worries me is all the people trying to justify Games Workshop's lack of female staff by saying women would be crap at the job.

Good point, Belle. Can't think of many other stores where you have markedly fewer women members of staff than men. Except an old fashioned barbers, possibly (think it's equal m/f in the one dh goes to, though).

StuckInTheMiddleWithYou Sun 05-Sep-10 10:11:19

GW is geek land. More men than women become geeks. It is not about discrimination it is about the things that different people are attracted too.

Really, this is no big deal.

Goblinchild Sun 05-Sep-10 11:57:38

Edam, I'm saying that I expect the staff to be able to answer questions and advise on the games, the strategies and exactly how to get a specific paint effect on a model.
We have been involved in this for over a decade, and DD is a gamer, although not WOW.
So closer to 15 years linked with gaming.
The customer and fan base is overwhelmingly male, not female.
I do not think women would be crap at any job as a blanket statement and never have.
I despise tokenism and feel that it undermines any equality movement to have window dressing.
So aim for an equal distribution of the sexes, but they must have an equal knowledge base and equal enthusiasm and passion for their subject.
How is that saying that women would be crap at the job?

edam Sun 05-Sep-10 12:09:38

Lots of the comments on this thread amount to that, Goblin.

Would be interesting to get someone from GW on here and find out whether they have noticed and think it's a problem...

Goblinchild Sun 05-Sep-10 12:24:08

Morloth is a gamer

Fibilou Wed 04-Nov-09 12:44:36
"Morloth, we may be two of the rarest females in the world - Girl Warhammerers. When I went to buy my first bits and pieces the bloke behind the till said "are they for your husband" and when I said no, for me, he almost wet himself with excitement !

What army/ies do you collect ? I've not been doing it for long, do Chaos Daemons (not 40k), am lucky that we have a GW shop/club about 2 minutes from my house."

So they would have the appropriate knowledge for working at Games Workshop, and the enthusiasm to build on that knowledge. They also know that they are in a minority, but Fibilou was not patronised or dismissed by the staff.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sun 05-Sep-10 12:28:04

Fair point. I'm still a bit hmm at them asking the mothers to bake cakes for them though, the child of the winner won a case. The winner here had been up for most of the night baking a cake (mine was 60p off the market).

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 05-Sep-10 12:44:35

Do they as the mothers or do they as the kids to bring a cake?

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sun 05-Sep-10 12:45:05

They specifically asked the mothers.

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 05-Sep-10 12:53:40

was that because the mothers where with the boys?

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 05-Sep-10 12:54:38

sorry that should be

was that because only the mothers where with the boys?

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sun 05-Sep-10 12:54:52

No, they asked the mothers when they collected their children, no fathers were asked (I spend a fair amount of time in there with ds).

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sun 05-Sep-10 12:55:25

because "mothers are better at making cakes" hmm

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 05-Sep-10 13:00:22

I was just wondering if it was because they where the only parent available.

If not it may well be because the majority of of games workshop staff I know (Ok I do not now them all and I generalise) are fairly hopeless in the kitchen and their mothers/wives look after thet area.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sun 05-Sep-10 13:03:47

There's plenty of blokes in there that they could have asked. It didn't take us 10 minutes to buy one off the market, any useless bloke could have done this but none of them were asked. I do feel quite sorry for the woman who was up most of the night baking a cake.

postingforafriend Sun 05-Sep-10 13:05:27

I am still failing to see where people are saying that women would be crap at working in GW. I just don't see that on the thread. People are saying that the pool of people who have teh relevant knowledge and skills is predominantly male, that's different. GW welcomes women, it is keen to have girls and women joining in the hobby. I;m sure if they could think of a way to get girls doing it they would be all over it like a rash. The fact that girls and women don't want to paint and play with little armies, is not the fault of GW. There are employers and trades which really are overtly sexist and I don't think that GW is anything to get in a palaver about TBH. i really don't think they're doing anything wrong.

Apart from the cakes thing, which is hmm. Or is it all mothers who take their children there? If it is all mothers, then not so hmm. But that's not GW policy is it, it's probably one manager in one shop who has said this, and if there was a complaint I'm sure it would be rectified. I just don't think there is a huge sexist conspiracy to exclude women from jobs where they will spend their days discussing the battle aramament of dwarven warriors, or spend hours ruminating on how to get the exact right shade of moss green on the back of a ogre's knee.

Also confused about this idea that if you work in retail you can take time off left right and centre to look after your children. Yes it's easier to find part time positions but it's no different from other jobs in that if you don't make it in enough then you get into trouble. IME anyway.

I also can think of loads of shops where the assistants are predmoninantly all male or majority male - mens clothing shops, the mens clothing departments in department stores, our apple shop, our local computer shop etc. The you get womens clothing shops, claires, hairdressers etc where the majority/all staff are women.

I'm just not seeing this one, sorry.

postingforafriend Sun 05-Sep-10 13:06:48

Oh balls forgot to change my name.

juuule Sun 05-Sep-10 13:06:53

"I do feel quite sorry for the woman who was up most of the night baking a cake."

Why do you feel sorry for her? Maybe she enjoys making cakes.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sun 05-Sep-10 13:10:53

No, she looked knackered as she just had to do more and more to the cake, sounded like OCD to me.

Goblinchild Sun 05-Sep-10 13:17:57

Asking mums to make cakes sounds like hopeful and tactless teenage tactics to me.
Including the pathetic 'mothers are better at making cakes'
A verbal reprimand would suffice IMO.grin
Catering and being a top chef. Now that's a really sexist industry to get your teeth into.

The cakes thing is unreasonable, but I don't think you can move from that to generalisations about hiring practices. Definitely pull them up on it, though.

edam, I really can't see anyone on this thread saying that women would be crap at the job. They are saying (a) that in order to be good at the job you need to be a borderline-obsessive gaming geek, and (b) that the pool of "people who are borderline-obsessive gaming geeks" is overwhelmingly, though not exclusively, male. Do you have any evidence to challenge either of those statements?

I was never a serious gamer but used to paint figures and always found GW a very welcoming and non-threatening environment.

PaintbrushJo Wed 03-Oct-12 11:34:19

I was talking about this last night with friends. One of the OH's oldest friends works in the Head Office. I play myself, and it's how I met the OH.

Apparently, it's because they don't get a lot of applicants at the retail level. Games Workshop's retail is very, very poorly paid and the people who tend to work their are picked because they love it. They look for stable, enthuiastic people who are utterly obssesed with toysoldiers. These tend to be boys who happen to have gotten taller without growing up. They also look for those in a stable relationship, preferably with kids of their own, as a big part of the job is dealing with young boys.

Most of the models are exagerrations; this is a big part of their 'design ethic', it's all big and loud. So the men look like this:

www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440247a&prodId=prod30015a

and women look like this:
www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1160051a

the gender-abandoned post-human monsters look like this:

www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod680007a

and the giant spider dinosaurs look like this:

www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1460211a

At the Game Design and head office level, it's a lot better; this is the part where they actually make the game, and there is more equality. It still isn't even, but they have female games designers, painters, novel writers, sculptors, senior managers, Human Resource managers, etc. They are also more than a few husband and wife teams, it's encouraged, I gather. If you're good, happy with a below average wage, like toysolders and willing to live in Nottingham, they'll hire you.

EmmelineGoulden Wed 03-Oct-12 12:23:45

The cake thing does show a general assumption about gender roles. That may also be reflected in hriing and staffing practice, but there's not proof that that is so and I don't think the high male staff ratio is necessarily down to that sort of discrimination, I think it just as likely it is because of the way our society as a whole encourages gender polarized views of appropriate jobs onto us.

I have found that a lot of the male geeks into things like role playing games are very welcoming of girls and women into the environment, but they don't ctually think of them as equal. Like much of our society, the men want women to be girlfriends, be decroative, serve their emotional and physical needs. Lots of girls and women fall into this role (throughout our culture, not just in sci-fi/geeky subculture), it's hard to forge a different path.

I've done tabletop for years and play male characters as the scantily clad female that is ubiquitous with any kind of RPG get on my tits.

sashh Thu 04-Oct-12 04:51:29

Does Claire's Accssessories break equality laws? I've never been served by a man in there, and all the customers appear to be female too.

Himalaya Thu 04-Oct-12 07:57:32

As the young assistant in my local store says "I love this job because I get paid to come and hang out at GW, which is what I would be doing anyway"

I agree with whoever upthread said that if other businesses could get staff to have the same level of knowledge and enthusiasm as GW staff the world would be a better place.

DilysPrice Thu 04-Oct-12 08:19:05

I'll get concerned about this when and if I see testimony from a female GW geek who was made to feel uncomfortable about playing games or applying for a job there.

But I agree that some more female figures which are not distinguished by enormous tits in tiny bikini tops would be a big improvement.

PaintbrushJo Thu 04-Oct-12 08:47:27

As I understand it, they have a scaling issue; big and silly is easy, actually making real looking people at that scale is hard. I love their Sisters of Battle models, but they are exagerrations, no one should every expect to look like that. (Nor do I expect them too, most of those models are goblins, elves and other made up things.)

I did ask where all the female guardsmen were, and shop staffer pointed at the model (which was in bulky armour and helmet) and said "How could you tell?"

singingmum Thu 04-Oct-12 09:26:47

My son,dp and my dd are into GW they love females who play and would love to have more female players etc. Our local shop had the whole bring a cake thing but it was a general anyone rather than mums only asked. I have made 2 cakes for them and apparently now refered to as 'the patron saint of cake' which I crack up at all the time. GW are very specific about their employment criteria. You must have in depth knowledge of the game(almost to obsesivly so) be good with all ages and have the belief that it is an excellent hobby. Yes it is male dominated but not through any choice of theirs. I have no probs with their big boobed figures as its just helped my dd be ok with the fact that she's 12 and a c cup and if she's like me they will get much bigger. They(gamers) recently had a shock when an 18yr old girl came in to play as there aren't many females who play in our area and I'm not supprised. My friend who has 4 girls seriously said that its a boys hobby why would girls be interested.
I don't play as I HE and have to much info and general life stuff in my head to also add the rules although will try at some point and I do paint the figures which I enjoy doing,but even that gets laughed at by most other women as just silly and my way of connecting with the males in my family.
The real reason not so many women don't work for them or play is simple. Most adult women don't feel this is a hobby for their dd's so not so many get introduced to it so don't meet the criteria for the job.
If you really want to solve the problem then the answer is obv stop looking at this and other male dominated hobbies as for males only and give your dd's the chance as I know its done wonders for my sons confidence and ironically his math which he still hates but does for GW

Trills Thu 04-Oct-12 09:28:55

Isn't it sexist to assume that the female figurines are "for" women/girls and the male figures are "for" men/boys?

There's certainly no law about a shop offering items for sale where "only a very small percentage of the stock is aimed at them [women]"

Trills Thu 04-Oct-12 09:30:39

"I do feel quite sorry for the woman who was up most of the night baking a cake."

Either she enjoys baking nocturnal cakes or she is a mug who got conned by a but muuuuuuuuuum, everyone else will have one.

BedHog Thu 04-Oct-12 09:58:18

There is another point that nobody has mentioned. It's been a while since I went into a Games Workshop, but I used to get my Cthulhu dice there and every time I went in I was knocked back by the pungent stench of teenage BO and unwashed geek which hung in the stagnant air. It was always an immense relief to leave the shop. You get the same aroma to a lesser extent in Game and Gamestation, and some branches of HMV. There is no way I would be able to work in that kind of atmosphere - hasn't it been scientifically proved that women have a greater sense of smell?

PunkInDublic Thu 04-Oct-12 14:22:24

Disclaimer I may be bias as I have been doing this for years and am marrying a staff member. I was part of the scene long before I met him though. I love GW and know a lot of this has been said but I felt I must defend a company which has given me so much pleasure over the years.

Firstly "It's a great place for missfits though" thanks grin.

I'm hugely into this and yes Deamonettes are my chosen army. I didn't pick them because they're girls (actually they're shape shifting deamons but hey) I picked them as they are deadly and suit my gaming style.

I know a lot of the staff members as I'm married to one. [totally outing myself here], and I agree with ISNT that the staff "are in general the least sexist men I have met." I was into the hobby before I met DP and have been made to feel welcome in the hobby and have never been treated differently to any one else. It's a very non threatening environment, my old local store has a 80 year old woman who fields a mean sisters of battle army.

DP tells me there are more and more women running stores now and working in head office in various roles and that GW is very equal opportunities. I this any unbalance is due to who has applied for the role rather than how candidates are treated.

Cargirl, would love to know if you're local as we three love Bloodbowl.

With regards to the cakes, the manager of my local encouraged the players to build them themselves. I built a white scar vindicator for DS to take part in cake wars. You fight them like normal tanks and if you take a hull point you also take some cake. Don't feel sorry for me, one of my proudest geek moments <no point here, just proud of my vindicaker>

LadySybildeChocolate Thu 04-Oct-12 14:24:16

How old is this thread???? wink

ReallyTired Thu 04-Oct-12 14:26:42

I think that they should pick the best person for the job. Ie. the person who is the most nerdy about Dungeons and Dragons and World of Warcraft. I imagine they test subject knowledge at interview...

kim147 Thu 04-Oct-12 14:34:44

A specialist shop needs to employ people with specialist knowledge. A customer needs good customer service and someone who knows what they are talking about. The best person for the job.

I would hope that's what it comes down to - when it's a customer facing role. Yes, you can learn things on the job but I would imagine GW is something you need to be into if you want to work there. DS likes popping in to look at the models.

PunkInDublic Thu 04-Oct-12 14:35:13

Darn it! Well spotted LadySybilde, the Emperor is not with us today.

kim147 Thu 04-Oct-12 14:35:21

But hmm at mothers being asked to make a cake.

LadySybildeChocolate Thu 04-Oct-12 14:37:16

I remember starting this thread...2 years ago! grin I've been on here for far too long.

ThreeEdgedSword Thu 04-Oct-12 22:39:27

The GW staff are mostly male because it's mostly males who apply, and mostly male who are qualified. As a woman who plays these games, I have never found any level of sexism in the stores, the staff at my local shop are lovely people smile. However, when applying for a position at the shop, you do have to list how long you have been playing, which armies you collect, and you must know the game well enough to teach 8 year olds how to play. It's a requirement because Games Workshop is a hobby store. And the majority of people who qualify are men who have been playing since early teens or younger. It's not sexism, it's good business sense.

LemarchandsBox Thu 04-Oct-12 22:48:44

I was all ready to wade in with my halberd.

But I cba.

Feckbox Thu 04-Oct-12 22:55:46

Yes. And Claire's Accessories do as well

mrkidd85 Sat 06-Oct-12 12:42:23

In answer to OP, yes it does.

In the same way that Claire's Accessories and Ann Summers does... wink

I like taking my son into Games Workshop as the staff make such a fuss of their female shoppers, and I walk out feeling like a goddess! wink

Wiggy29 Wed 10-Oct-12 12:52:58

DP bloody loves this stuff! I have seen quite a few young girls playing in the store when I've been with DP/DS and they've always been very welcoming. That said, I have mentioned to DP that the female characters seem a little, well, naff.

PunkInDublic Wed 10-Oct-12 16:15:00

<preens> I'm obviously one of the young girls you refer to Wiggy grin. If not let's pretend.

Regarding female characters, I don't know many girls who play those armies. Deamonettes are technically not female and the Sisters of Battle are a more alternative choice. In my experience it's Space Wolves and Necrons that appeal to female gamers, just as popular with the boys mind.

PaintbrushJo Fri 19-Oct-12 18:44:54

That's because Space Wolves and Necrons are the winning choice. I prefer Tyranids myself, and a lot of the women I know who play also like them, but they've had a poor codex update so I've been focusing on painting my Dayglo Orange Necrons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now