The working guilt starts....

(12 Posts)
GemmaB78 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:40:27

... and I haven't returned to work yet! I start a new role next week - a part-time, sessional tutor at a nearby FE college (term-time only). My little boy is almost 13 months and I've been lucky enough to be at home with him so far. He'll be going to nursery (on campus so really close by) for one full day and 3 x 9:30-3:30 sessions and I'm dreading it already. He's an outgoing, chatty, active little boy, but only when he knows either me or his Papa are close by. I am worried he will miss us too much.

I know I am overly worried, and this is very much PFB syndrome! Some reassuring "my LO loves nursery" stories would be very welcome right now.

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Tue 30-Aug-16 19:42:56

He will be fine. DD has always loved her nursery. Early on she did the usual 'cry for a minute and then forget mummy exists' and she is a confident, well adjusted child.

fabulous01 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:48:43

Omg. The working guilt never stops. But baby will be fine. Mine were both chatty, went to lots of groups etc but they do much at nursery that you probably wouldn't do. Everyone has to do what is right for them but a balance is good. You will probably miss him more but it is also good for you too. Just prepare yourself for lots of lurgies ....

GemmaB78 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:06:28

Fully stocked up on cold remedies and Vit. C! I know he'll be fine - it's just me. We go to plenty of groups/activities now so it won't be a total shock, and being part time with the holidays free is a great balance I think. My fiance is a university lecturer so we'll have loads of time together as a family!

EmmaMacgill Tue 30-Aug-16 20:14:57

He will be fine, mine used to cry when I dropped him off. Then he'd be off playing and settling into his second breakfast!
He's always been outgoing and sociable and it did wonders for his development. I think having a stuctures routine from a young age and mixing with children from different backgrounds was a great benefit when he started school and he settled in much more easily than a lot of his peers.

Parker231 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:22:42

My DT's went to nursery f/t from six months old. Best decision we could have made. They settled in quickly, looked forward to each day and learnt so many things. It worked for our family as DH and I were both able to maintain our careers knowing that our DT's were happy. They are now about to start their 2nd year at Uni having turned into adults we are very proud of and realise that their nursery days were the early building blocks of this.

doing Tue 30-Aug-16 20:29:11

Why would you feel guilty for providing for your family?

I've worked FT since the start and never had a moments guilt. Why would I? I'm doing what's best.

PopFizz Tue 30-Aug-16 20:32:23

DS2 was in nursery from seven months. Until he started school four years later. He is sociable, happy, a great kid - and has fond memories of nursery too

KP86 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:35:28

Mine used to cry when he went at 10 months, but then we moved to the UK so he wasn't going until about 21 months. Cried for a bit but these days he asks me if he can go to nursery! He gets very excited when he sees we are close by.

There will be an adjustment period, you will feel like shit when they are crying for you as you leave but I can just about guarantee if you phoned five minutes later there would be no crying in the background.

Enjoy your adult time, guilt free. You aren't harming anyone. chocolate

GemmaB78 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:53:25

Thank you all.

doing I feel guilty as someone else will be looking after him and caring for him, not me. Yes, yes, I know it's daft but there you go, I am daft and soft!

fabulous01 Tue 30-Aug-16 21:08:44

Guilt is normal. I don't think it will ever leave. But do so much messy things. Today mine put sand on their head and rubbed it just after them rubbing sun cream in ...... And don't talk about the mud kitchen ...

worriedmum100 Thu 22-Sep-16 21:35:33

Oh God I'm going through it right now. First week back at work with DS2 in nursery. I'll be honest.It's been a very difficult week. DS2 hasn't settled as well as DS1 did lots of clinging and crying so I feel like crap. Work has been full.on so I'm knackered,stressed and generally upset. But I know it will get better. DS1 got so much out of nursery I'm sure DS2 will too. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now