Where do part-time workers belong?

(50 Posts)
Iggi999 Sun 24-May-15 17:22:48

...other than the 7th circle of hell, possibly!
If I want advice should I be asking the SAHP's board or the WOHP's one? Or do I alternate depending on the type of question? Though really it's advice from other p-t working mothers which I'm looking for. (Do I need a whole other section?)
Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, I couldn't find anything about it.

AChickenCalledKorma Sun 24-May-15 18:30:21

I think it depends <helpful> grin

I currently work 22 hours per week, based in an office, working Mon-Fri 9:30-3pm. At the moment I definitely identify more with the title WOHP than SAHM.

However, I used to work 23 hours per week, working from home, but with complete flexibility as to my hours. And my work at that time was very child orientated. At that time I probably would have gravitated more towards the SAHM board, even though I was actually working longer hours.

So I guess you could say we get the best of both worlds ... or the worst hmm

Duckdeamon Sun 24-May-15 18:33:08

I think here is fine, or wherever!

EatShitDerek Sun 24-May-15 18:33:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Duckdeamon Sun 24-May-15 18:42:53

I now work almost FT. always felt stressed at work when I worked 3 days a week, had no cover. Is weirdly less stressful working more! Still feel like my career and job security is much worse than pre-DC, hard to compete with FT+ colleagues who work really long hours, eg extra training and development, building knowledge, networking, travel, additional projects.

Iggi999 Sun 24-May-15 19:34:15

I think for work/family issues we are a separate entity. I would feel odd posting on either of the other boards and "claiming" to belong there.
And might miss good advice if I post in the wrong place.

I work 15 hours, two jobs, both within school hours plus I'm a part time student. I haven't got a clue where I fit in. I tend to think it should be "People who have carried on working in the same way since having children" and "people who have stopped work or changed it drastically after having children".

LittleBearPad Mon 25-May-15 00:26:58

I work three days a week but am currently on mat leave. I belong nowhere!

TwoLittleTerrors Mon 25-May-15 02:08:30

I work FT and on maternity too. I belong to a land of new baby cuddles and kisses grin

namechangefortoday543 Mon 25-May-15 11:58:49

I am more SAHP than WOHP but I get that the frustration and boredom "groundhog day" feeling experienced by some SAHP is offset by my WOH ,but there is that foot in each camp feeling for me.

Sparklingbrook Mon 25-May-15 12:20:50

I volunteer for two charities and have an eye on the job market. Where do I go?

Iggi999 Mon 25-May-15 12:36:25

Oh you're right Sparking, we need another category for volunteers.

Sparklingbrook Mon 25-May-15 12:40:41

I think there may be a Volunteers topic thinking about it. But I don't have much to post about as it's very enjoyable. blush

I always feel a bit blush comparing it to work.

AuntieStella Mon 25-May-15 12:41:41

Like sparkling I volunteer, part-time and term time only. I fit neither and both new boards. Especially as I've also done paid work both FT and PT, and may be going back to that in September.

johngrady Mon 25-May-15 12:51:10

I'm pt wohp too. Definitely a very different world to ft wohp and sahp. Maybe we do need our own place.

My main issues are feeling underused and undervalued at work and then pretty much responsible for everything house and child related at home. I'm not actually Responsible as DH is a legend and does lots more than his share, but I still feel It and the guilt when I don't get it done.

As an aside, congratulations derek. Last I saw you were still looking for a job flowers

gamerwidow Mon 25-May-15 13:08:05

I'm a part time wohp and would identify more with wohp than sahm. I love it definitely the best of both worlds for me. I don't think we need another topic you either work out of the home or you don't.

BumTum Mon 25-May-15 17:52:37

I would say here rather than SAHM.

IMO SAHMs don't have a 'job' as such (other than looking after children, running homes etc smilewink) so don't go 'out to work'.

realize I'm on shaky ground here

Iggi999 Mon 25-May-15 18:31:34

That's true Gamer but if you have a couple of days off in the week then on those days you have similar concerns to SAHP - what to do to make best use of time etc. I've been at home (only for long MLs though) and also been f-t and p-t - I definitely have had different perspectives with each one. I suppose it would never have occurred to me, it's the fact that there are now these other topics and I wonder where I belong/what I might miss by looking in one section but not the other.

fancyanotherfez Tue 26-May-15 16:40:35

I work part time 3 days a week, mainly from home and I would say my issues are more WOHP than SAHP, even on my non working days. I don't have as much time as I presume a SAHP would to do housework and all the other guff, and am only really interested in how little of it I can get away with doing! As bumtum said, you either work out of the home or you don't.

fancyanotherfez Tue 26-May-15 16:41:27

Maybe look at both boards and see which one has more stuff on it that is of interest to you?

Pagwatch Tue 26-May-15 16:44:28

I don't think anyone has to chose do they?

Just post your thing where people will be most able to answer.

For example - I am a long term sahm. If you ask about work benefits on the sahm board I won't know.

If we have to chose I won't be able to decide between SN and parenting. <wrings hands>

thatstoast Tue 26-May-15 16:55:27

I work 18 hours. I wouldn't post in SAHM as I don't think I understand the challenges they face.

TheRealMaryMillington Tue 26-May-15 16:55:55

Both/either, for P/t working is truly the WORST of both worlds.

littleshorty Tue 26-May-15 18:04:04

Surely if you work out of the home you're a wohm? Bit confused about the need for a more detailed definition who said you had to work full time to qualify?

littleshorty Tue 26-May-15 18:05:19

Don't most people have a couple of days off a week? Even full time workers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now