Musings on port

(17 Posts)
TheOddity Thu 07-Jul-16 21:13:49

<hobbles in on zimmer frame due to gout< That second symbol is the right way round if you have fallen over drinking.

How can I improve my port selection technique without interaction with real people or their books?
Currently I walk into the supermarket, identify the black looking bottles, find the shelf that is so low only precocious toddlers could read the contents and find the one that is 'reassuringly expensive'.

Is there some kind of clue in the quality of the box they come in?

<Stumbles out<

TheGoodEnoughWife Thu 07-Jul-16 21:14:52

I really like a Tawny Port so always go for that over others?

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 07-Jul-16 21:27:50

If I am buying port I tend to go to a wine mercahnt

TheOddity Thu 07-Jul-16 21:37:42

GoodEnough - the ? makes me think that maybe, just possibly you're lost in the portly woods with me?

Five - wine merchants are the financial advisors of the wine world I'm guessing. Do they work on commission? Do they deal with drunks? Do they do on the spot tastings like the nice cheese man at my market?

boobyooby Thu 07-Jul-16 21:39:40

Graham's 20yr Tawny Port is all you need to know smile

TheGoodEnoughWife Thu 07-Jul-16 21:50:27

Not really, the ? Was for you as in 'maybe you could try that?'

Normally have Graham's or Taylor's. Either one about £20 a bottle.

Did have some port tasting trios at a fab port house in London where we were given a rose port which fab but not found anything like it since. (Would really recommend the Port House in London if you are anywhere near!)

TheOddity Thu 07-Jul-16 22:00:00

Ooh thanks. Taylor's I have tried many times, Graham's never. I liked white port. I know as I may or may not have drunk a fair bit directly from the bottle on a playground swing in the dark on a camping tour of Portugal.
The Port house sounds like a wonderful place. The Harry Potter world for stuffy old men and me
I live in Italy so stuck with all this Italian muckment currently. Sad face grin

BettyDraper1 Thu 07-Jul-16 22:02:47

<whispers> Asda's cheapo one is a fucking knock out

slug Thu 07-Jul-16 22:06:34

Take a trip to Porto and taste it all in situ. You won't regret it

janethegirl2 Thu 07-Jul-16 22:06:47

I like both white port and lbv port, however I don't like tawny which is why there are several bottles of tawny port in this house. I don't think dh knows there is any difference in them

elephantoverthehill Thu 07-Jul-16 22:09:38

White port and tonic is a 'thing' at the moment. Never tried it, but it might be an excuse to buy a bottle of port, try it, and then reserve the tonic for the gin.

TheOddity Thu 07-Jul-16 22:28:45

Am I on trend? Even a broken watch is right twice a day....

I don't think a sickly sweet alcoholic drink can ever be truly cool. If it was, I don't think they'd be asking my saggy sleep deprived sad sack of a self to rebrand it. Slogan: "Drink port, it makes looking after under fives slightly less unbearable"

I tasted it in Porto and that's where I got hooked, but it reminds me of programmes like the gbbo in that I enjoyed it but took absolutely nothing in.

TheOddity Thu 07-Jul-16 22:36:21

What is lbv port? Jane? Is it lovely but vomity? Like bottled vimto? Lucy in the bi with viamonds?

Costacoffeeplease Thu 07-Jul-16 22:37:07

Definitely white port or tawny - ruby is too sweet and sickly

White, chilled as an aperitif, or yes with tonic and mint

I live in Portugal - can you tell? wine hic smile

janethegirl2 Thu 07-Jul-16 22:38:59

Lbv is late bottled vintage and it's a bit more well balanced

LaurieFairyCake Thu 07-Jul-16 22:47:44

The only tip I can give you about Port is don't embrace autumn by buying a bottle of M and S port and drinking it like wine

Like the whole bottle

And then go into work in the morning craving death

LaurieFairyCake Thu 07-Jul-16 22:47:57

The only tip I can give you about Port is don't embrace autumn by buying a bottle of M and S port and drinking it like wine

Like the whole bottle

And then go into work in the morning craving death

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now