New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon

(29 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Wed 28-Aug-13 22:18:00

Love this wine so much but want to diversify a bit.

Still looking for a white wine and dislike anything too dry.

Any ideas?

Tia

LoganMummy Wed 28-Aug-13 22:21:00

Oyster Bay?

Not really, I could drink NZ Marlborough Sauvignon for the rest of my life... But I also think Pinot Grigio, Chablis, Viognier and Sancerre are quite nice....

BaconAndAvocado Wed 28-Aug-13 22:33:45

Had Oyster Bay, tres delish!

Don't mind Pinot Grigio, will give others a try. Can't wait !

Grannylipstick Fri 04-Oct-13 21:57:20

Dashwood. Villa Maria and walnut block are good

ThePuffyShirt Fri 04-Oct-13 22:05:32

I am just having a chilled glass of Cloudy Bay - my fave NZ sauvignon blanc.

I was just going to suggest Johnson Estate sauvignon, but that's Marlborough too.

Then I thought of The Ned, which we love, but yep - Marlborough too.

<gives up>!

Grannylipstick Fri 04-Oct-13 22:20:15

Cloudy bay is the best wine ever!!!!

beachyhead Sat 05-Oct-13 08:05:33

I know some people are sniffy about Spanish wine, but Torres Vina Sol is very quaffable...not overly dry, but certainly not sweet or flowery.

BeckAndCall Sat 05-Oct-13 08:09:32

Another vote for Cloudy Bay! But in its absence, Villa Maria is a fine substitute. But, no, I can't think of anything better than Marlboro Sauvignon Blanc either!

Ememem84 Sat 05-Oct-13 08:17:21

Brancott estate. Crawford farm. Roaring meg. Or tinpot hut are my fave nz savs. Not cheap. But more often than not on special offer.

These are the best you can get in supermarkets in uk. Hard to find wines have a selection but they are pricier. We went to nz to visit family in 2012 and did a bit of a wine tour. We were told that nz only export the "rubbish" they keep the good stuff for themselves. (They do).

nicename Sat 05-Oct-13 08:23:01

We did the wine tour too. Absolutely pissed as farts by lunchtime. Mount Difficulty wines were very nice.

Ememem84 Mon 07-Oct-13 23:23:37

I heart the wine tour. Even the wine on the plane home was good....

MistressofPemberley Sat 19-Oct-13 13:16:34

Dry Riesling, crisp South African Chenin Blanc or a Pinot Gris are all delicious.

meep Sat 19-Oct-13 13:22:04

love Villa Maria
A kiwi who was visiting bought us some Seifried Nelson Sauvignon Blanc - lovely

Jennyl131 Mon 10-Feb-14 18:59:20

I've recently branched out to south American sauv. blanc, bit cheaper generally, and not quite as good, but still miles better than the south African stuff in the same price bracket, and perfectly acceptable for day to day drinking.

That said, if I could only have one type of white and one type of red for the rest of my life it'd be Marlborough Sauvignon blanc and nz pinot noir...

I'll have a Chilean one sometimes, for a change. smile

BankWadger Mon 10-Feb-14 19:07:59

Oyster Bay is crap, sorry.

I recently found Waitrose sell Villa Maria Riesling. I'm SO happy as I far prefer Riesling to Sav B, but have had trouble finding a good French one (due to being to skint to experiment). NZ Rieslings are terribly over looked in favour of the SBs. It's a pity.

BankWadger Mon 10-Feb-14 19:12:18

Cloudy Bay is also crap.

Brancott Estate (used to be Montana) and Main divide (which I'm pretty sure is the cheaper brand from Pegasus Bay - which is super yum) and also Villa Maria are good main line NZ Brands.

Brown Brothers are a good Australian brand.

BankWadger Mon 10-Feb-14 19:14:42

We were told that nz only export the "rubbish" they keep the good stuff for themselves. (They do).

Yep, we do. grin (so why am I here drinking the crap stuff? hmm)

Longdistance Mon 10-Feb-14 19:24:57

I can recommend Amberley Chenin Blanc.
Also Lidl has a great Pedro Jimenez Chilean white.
I am partial to a Pouilly Fuisse/fume too.
Do you like Soave? Aldi do a nice one.

Trills Mon 10-Feb-14 19:27:29

NZ ones marked as Pinot Gris are nicer than Pinot Grigio, same grape but treated slightly differently (according to the wine man I talked to in NZ).

I like a new world Riesling as well.

Ktay Mon 10-Feb-14 19:31:06

Albariño is nice. Muscadet de sevre sur lie good also and not too expensive but might be a bit dry. Picpoul de pinet?

Ktay Mon 10-Feb-14 19:32:27

Sorry the app has cocked up the lovely accent my autocorrect put on the first word - should read albarino but with a curly thing on top of the n!

threepiecesuite Mon 10-Feb-14 19:38:46

Totally watching this thread as due a trip to Majestic this weekend <hic>

eyebrowsfurrowed Mon 10-Feb-14 19:42:04

Sorry to hijack but what are good dry white wines? I used to drink red all the time but am on the turn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now