Anyone make their own flavoured vodka?

(15 Posts)
ChewingOnLifesGristle Mon 20-May-13 09:39:12

I bet those Creme Life sweets would be good for this. They taste of strawberry and cream.

RollingThunder Sun 19-May-13 15:39:10

Wow! All sounds yummy!! I think pear drop vodka sounds amazing, and am also planning in Christmas gifts!!!

Still want to try making plumb and raspberry and strawberry with vanilla vodkas too!! Yum yum!

RibenaFiend Sun 19-May-13 12:08:27

Definitely dreamt that I'm afraid, they all make yummy vodka and yes! DEFINITELY separate all the colours. That's 5 beautiful flavours! (Mixes REALLY well with lemonade or soda for a long drink.)

I don't have a dishwasher confused so I put mine in the airing cupboard for a week and shook them daily. I was the winner of best homemade gift last year (a competition in my mind! smile)

ChewingOnLifesGristle Sun 19-May-13 11:55:14

Aren't you supposed to not use one of the colours in Skittles (green?) Can't remember why thoughconfused <I may have dreamt that actually>

MrsPennyapple Sun 19-May-13 11:51:18

I am salivating at the thought of skittles vodka. I'd have to separate out the colours, I bet purple skittle vodka would be amazing. I am 28 wks pg, so not a craving I can indulge in the near future! Could have the skittles I suppose...

RibenaFiend Sun 19-May-13 11:34:31

Skittles vodka! Toffee vodka! Any hard sweets!!! (GREAT Christmas present for uni aged relatives too!)

They all leave a "scum" on top. You can get rid of it by filtering. Either use coffee filters or a single sheet (as in peel a layer off) of kitchen roll popped in a funnel.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Sun 19-May-13 11:16:58

I have. I made some one Christmas with Werthers which was nice although it did look rather like old dishwater as I recall.

Then last Christmas I made some 'Christmas Pudding' vodka. I think it was a Hairy Bikers recipe. It's still in the fridge today. I'll drink most things blush but it's so sickly it makes me gag.

MrsPennyapple Sun 19-May-13 11:06:51

grin Werthers Original (the proper hard ones) taste nice too, but they do leave a bit of frothy stuff on the surface. A good shake gets rid of it temporarily - long enough to not look gross while you drink it.

Pear drop vodka is good for playing "name that flavour" with your friends. They'll sit there sipping and thinking and sipping a bit more... always fun!

I do sloe gin and that kind of thing too, but sweets are kind of instant and fun and tasty.

CouthyMow Sun 19-May-13 10:54:29

Mmmm...pear drops flavoured vodka...

<<Goes and buys vodka...>>

RollingThunder Sun 19-May-13 10:50:09

Wow mrspennyapple, was thinking fruit, but that sounds Interesting
too!

MrsPennyapple Sun 19-May-13 10:45:39

I do. I use the cheapest vodka I can find, pour out into a jug, fill bottle one third with boiled sweets, then fill to the top with the vodka. Shake periodically until sweets are dissolved. Smashing up the sweets will make the process faster. Pear drops, rhubarb & custard, cola cubes all work well.

If you have a dishwasher, wrap the bottle top in cling film to prevent leaks, then put the bottle of vodka & sweets in the top rack and run a cycle. The heat and slight agitation means that the sweets will be almost dissolved by the time the cycle finishes.

RollingThunder Sun 19-May-13 10:39:53

Will read the other thread,

I love, I presume that is per liter of vodka? Sounds wonderful!! Had better get started!!

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 18-May-13 22:13:03

We do. We make sloe gin every winter and we also usually do some plum vodka and blackberry brandy too. In fact whatever seasonal fruit you can stick in a bit of alcohol, we do. You need a pound of fruit and a pound of sugar. Leave them in the alcohol till next year. Voila. Strain and serve. I know it sounds a long time but we do it every year so we have a supply going. It's bloody lovely!

Any number of posters on here do/did. One of the better recipes is in the final post at the bottom of this thread.

Do come back to report on the results! wink

RollingThunder Sat 18-May-13 15:46:45

As in buy in the vodka, add their own flavouring?

Am going to start. Just wondering if any one had any advice, recipes, what quality vodka you use etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now