Thinking of buying Godson a bottle of something, what would taste good in 18 years?

(5 Posts)
whohellhe Tue 14-May-13 23:15:37

As an alternative to a moneybox I'm considering buying baby Godson something he can open and enjoy when he turns 18. I was originally thinking whisky but have since discovered it does not get any better with age. Can anyone recommend anything? Thanks (or should I say cheers?!)

Helliecopter Fri 18-Oct-13 20:51:57

Port is usually a good thing to put down (I had one from my birth year on my 30th birthday).

Or choose a good red wine, however you wouldn't know if this is a good year (vintage) until the wine is bottled, which could be next year really. It'd have to be something like a Bordeaux. Speak to someone who knows in a good, independent wine shop. Also could be expensive because you're looking at one of the big wine makers, and buying a case!

Try Berry Bros and Rudd for advice.
I don't agree that it will have to be French as new world can be awesome and age well. have 20 year old Oz on rack.

I think the issue might be that a) godson won't appreciate wine at that level when 18 b) storage is everything - constant temperature no hot/cold fluctuations etc or it will be a waste.

cdtaylornats Sun 08-Mar-15 20:18:57

Whisky doesn't get worse with age either.

bagelfiend Sun 08-Mar-15 20:20:58

I have just been in this situation (baptism was today!)

I bought a bottle of 2011 vintage port for about £60 that will apparently taste beautiful in 18 years.

I would go into a local independent wine shop and get some advice from them, very helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now