Subtly lower but not low alcohol wine?

(9 Posts)
Winebird Tue 19-Mar-13 21:08:07

Prosecco is pretty much always around 11-11.5% in alcohol. Anything much less than that percentage is likely to be sweet.

I second LexyMa with the tip about cooler climates: Germany is always a good one! Got to warn you though: naturally lower alcohol wines reds will probably be a world away in style from the big 'ol Aussie Shiraz and Riojas!

Winebird Tue 19-Mar-13 21:07:36

Prosecco is pretty much always around 11-11.5% in alcohol. Anything much less than that percentage is likely to be sweet.

I second LexyMa with the tip about cooler climates: Germany is always a good one! Got to warn you though: naturally lower alcohol wines reds will probably be a world away in style from the big 'ol Aussie Shiraz and Riojas!

slightlysoupstainedbabygrows Thu 24-Jan-13 22:52:18

Sounds right, DP's faves are Rioja (Spain) or Ozzie Shiraz.

He has enjoyed some German wine tho, will have a look for that and English wine. Had been assuming NZ wine would be too hefty but climate in South Island is not hot, is it? blush

Fizzy wine is lower alcohol? Coo, had never noticed.

Thanks for suggestions all!

LexyMa Thu 24-Jan-13 21:34:31

Alcohol content is higher in proportion to the amount of sugar that is available to ferment. Grapes grown in hot climates (Australia, California, South Africa, Spain, and I think some of South America) reach higher sugar content because of a longer growing season. Even France has been getting hotter in recent decades therefore higher % alcohol in the wine.

So, look for cooler climate wines which would be Germany, England, some parts of NZ. Maybe Chile?

ceeveebee Thu 24-Jan-13 21:26:40

English wine is lower alcohol I think - 11% ish

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 24-Jan-13 21:19:08

Check sparkling wines out. They don't reach the dizzying levels of alcohol like table wines can. Avoid Australian wines.

Lower alcohol wines are sweet because alcohol fermentation is fuelled by sugar, so if it all gets used up then the wine is dry but strong. Sweeter and some of the sugar hasn't been used.

Port is the exception, 20%ish but sweet.

slightlysoupstainedbabygrows Thu 24-Jan-13 21:00:50

Thanks Fluffy! Don't have an Also nearby but if I pass one will check out their wines. smile

Do you remember if any of the whites are quite dry? Should have put this in original post, but neither DP or I like sweet or even semi-sweet wines.

Part of my reason for wanting lower alcohol wine is to help gradually reduce his alcohol consumption - while I was pregnant he helpfully drank my share hmm so has got used to unhealthy amounts.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 24-Jan-13 19:22:03

I think some of the aldi rose and whites are 11%. I'm drinking toro loco rose tonight and its not strong.

slightlysoupstainedbabygrows Wed 23-Jan-13 20:27:00

Inspired by the current product test request (which I'm not signing up to as a) Blossom Hill and b) sweet, bleargh) - am looking for recommendations for wine that's in the 7-11% bracket, and aren't hideously sweet or perfumed.

Any recs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now