The beer thread

(44 Posts)

Why is there no beer thread here? Had to shove this in the wine thread instead!

Anyone else on here who enjoys a decent pint? I'm a former member of CAMRA the campaign for real ale and attend beer festivals when I can. I drink German and eastern European lagers, and British real ales.

Roll up a barrel and join me for a pint and some beery chat. Let's talk beers, festivals, and even beermats!

WhoDaresWines Mon 28-Jan-13 14:49:32

I love the Sam Smiths Stout, well all of their beers really but don't live anywhere near to a pub that stocks them. I love drinking real ale and am the proud possessor of the latest Good Beer Guide. Love wine too hence the username.smile

Had a bottle of shepherd neame IPA last night. Not bad, nicely hoppy, but quite heavy for a pale ale I thought. Still enjoyed it though!

monsterchild Sat 12-Jan-13 00:01:04

oh thanks, Silly! there are two where I am. we are lucky to live in the Rockies where there are many breweries. and wineries too, actually.

Natasha, mead uses honey instead of grapes to ferment into wine.

I made a beer with figs once. it was very good

USA cask ale finder

Don't know if this is any good for you monsterchild?

NatashaBee Fri 11-Jan-13 23:41:14

Also in the US, used to be a member of CAMRA when I lived in the UK. I was pleasantly surprised when I moved here and found so many microbreweries/ craft beers (I guess those are fairly close to real ale). I can even buy fullers and Hobgoblin in World Foods. We started brewing last year although just from a kit, would love to branch out a bit further this year and make wine or some different beers though. How do you make mead?

monsterchild Fri 11-Jan-13 23:37:58

And thanks for the link; i feel more edjumicated now...

monsterchild Fri 11-Jan-13 23:37:11

Sam Adams is good. And happily we now have many more microbreweries here, so we now have choices of types of beers, not just variations on Budwiser!

Eden gold... Not come across it yet, but will keep my eyes peeled!

Do quite like a bottle of Samuel adams, will say that's a good American beer.

monsterchild Fri 11-Jan-13 22:14:00

Another bee lover here, though I've been off the stuff for the last 9 months. Can now consider having a small glass! I live in the US though, so haven't heard of "real ale" what makes it real?

Anifrangapani Fri 11-Jan-13 22:09:26

I you are lucky enough to find Eden Gold ....give it a try. It is lurverly

I quite like some of the raspberry beers. Thought I'd try this as I've had a non alcoholic apple beer before that was rather good!

Just discovered that by eating a Cadbury's creme egg I've improved the taste of the beer! Huzzah!

hatgirl Fri 11-Jan-13 21:52:41

hmmm... i think you were asking for that mistake. Sounds a bit kopperbergy

If i'm wanting something a bit lighter than beer i've had success with Aspells cider. Or I just stick to fursty ferrent or speckled hen rather than going fruity (although I do like some of the german fruit beers)

Right then. I've got an open bottle of wychwood snake's bite here. Saw it for the first time in Tesco the other day.

It's a cider apple fruit beer, 4.2%.

Gotta say, I'm not greatly impressed. I had high hopes as I love wychwood's beers, but this tastes like something I would have drunk at 16 with my mates in an alley. It's overpoweringly sweet and appley, and doesn't really have any beer bite to it.

Disappointing to say the least.

Left CAMRA when I had to go teetotal for a couple of years. Bad times.

hatgirl Tue 08-Jan-13 23:09:48

Hi all, another real ale fan here. We are lucky to have a lot of good breweries and microbreweries near us.

How comes you are a former member of CAMRA SillyBeardyDaddyman rather than current?

It's from Dorset and I'm in Sussex, but lucky enough to have 2 of their pubs close by. Not been recently though so have missed out on the Xmas beer sad

And if they ever change the taps they keep the normal stock.in bottles too smile

ArkadyRose Tue 08-Jan-13 23:03:48

I've seen Badger on tap in a few Kent pubs. I usually drink Shepherd Neame brews when round that way though.

Trills Tue 08-Jan-13 23:01:15

Is badger local to you then?

(no idea where it is from)

Hall and woodhouse pubs. Mostly in Dorset, but available in other semi coastal locations too!

Trills Tue 08-Jan-13 22:40:21

I've never seen badger in a pub!

(funny sentence)

Plenty of badger in local pubs here! Although I avoid the nettle one [boak] Probably the worst beer I've ever tasted!

Crabbies is bloody lovely, but not really beer IYSWIM.

SoMuchToBits Tue 08-Jan-13 22:20:37

Do you have any Late Red in your stash, Daddyman? That's worth a slurp IME....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now