The beer thread

(44 Posts)

Why is there no beer thread here? Had to shove this in the wine thread instead!

Anyone else on here who enjoys a decent pint? I'm a former member of CAMRA the campaign for real ale and attend beer festivals when I can. I drink German and eastern European lagers, and British real ales.

Roll up a barrel and join me for a pint and some beery chat. Let's talk beers, festivals, and even beermats!

ArkadyRose Sun 06-Jan-13 21:22:30

Aww, I was hoping you meant as in brewing.

We can talk brewing too! A friend of mine has started microbrewing recently and I'm looking forward to testing his batch when it's done grin

Do you brew then Rose?

ArkadyRose Sun 06-Jan-13 22:56:29

I do - though mostly meads; I brew a few metheglyns (herbal mead) that blur the line between being mead & being honey beer, mind you.

shriekingnora Sun 06-Jan-13 23:12:21

Ahem. I own a brewery grin

You own a brewery?!? How cool! Although if I owned one I'd have drunk the profits by now grin

I've never had true mead, only ones with honey added after the brewing process and I found them unpleasantly sweet. Much like strong (8% +) Belgian beers.

ArkadyRose Mon 07-Jan-13 22:07:41

Most of my meads are up around the 16-20% ABV mark, and are decidedly not sweet by the time they're racked & bottled! Apart from the chocolate mead - that tends to be quite sweet, but then I freeze-distill it to make chocolate mead liqueur afterwards anyway. Oh, and then there was the Yuletide mea, which tastes like liquid Christmas pudding - that one's sweet but also 18% ABV.

<sigh>

I'm ill and there's a selection of Shepard Neame brews awaiting sampling in the kitchen... Being ill sucks sad

Trills Tue 08-Jan-13 21:55:50

Nearly all of the pint glasses in my house (and there are a few) are souvenirs from beer festivals.

ArkadyRose Tue 08-Jan-13 21:55:53

Whereas I'm pregnant with about 20 gallons of mead in the kitchen I can't touch for the next 6 months at least! I feel your pain! (My OH is very happy with all that mead to himself though.)

Oh!!! My spiritual home!
I always thought I was weird because I just can't stand wine but give me beer/lager and I'm a happy girl!

TheSecondComing Tue 08-Jan-13 22:01:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Same here trills! Or nicked from pubs...

Congrats Rose! Had to re-read your post a couple of times. Thought you had a novel approach to brewing for a minute grin

Clown I know lots of women who love a pint! Got to say that the last beer fest I went to had loads of women attending. Was brilliant to see! Real ale has such a rep of being an old man's drink.

Anifrangapani Tue 08-Jan-13 22:06:56

I was going to give brewing a go - home not commercial. This is what happens when you find a beer brewing book in Oxfam.

TSC I'll look out for that one, I love the taste of ginger! Keep meaning to try that crabbies stuff to see what it's like...

Trills Tue 08-Jan-13 22:16:55

My current favourites are Badger Golden Glory (in bottles) and Wainwright (I think Thwaites?) which is in bottles and I've also seen it in pubs.

SoMuchToBits Tue 08-Jan-13 22:20:37

Do you have any Late Red in your stash, Daddyman? That's worth a slurp IME....

Crabbies is bloody lovely, but not really beer IYSWIM.

Plenty of badger in local pubs here! Although I avoid the nettle one [boak] Probably the worst beer I've ever tasted!

Trills Tue 08-Jan-13 22:40:21

I've never seen badger in a pub!

(funny sentence)

Hall and woodhouse pubs. Mostly in Dorset, but available in other semi coastal locations too!

Trills Tue 08-Jan-13 23:01:15

Is badger local to you then?

(no idea where it is from)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now