has anyone laid wine down for their kids?

(15 Posts)
SiSiTD Fri 20-Apr-12 17:38:19

Mampig- it is impossible to say. Champagne as a rule of thumb only keeps well if it is a very fine Champagne, from a very good year. If it is a Non vintage wine (NV) then is is unlikely that it will keep well, sorry to say. All wine should be kept on its side at a constant temperature of 20 degrees C. It is very difficult to successfully store wine for a long period of time, it takes a lot of know how and a very specific storage facility.

Southseagirl Thu 23-Feb-12 16:52:51

Sorry I meant NOTHING not NOTHINGA!
blush

Southseagirl Thu 23-Feb-12 16:51:52

I know NOTHINGA about wine but are u saying port can improve with age and if u buy a bottle and store it improves? I'd like to do this for my LO x

Mampig Thu 09-Feb-12 15:12:22

Can I ask about champagne? My dd now 2 was bought bottle moet when she was born by godparents. Wondered if this will be a problem?? They intend to give it on her 18 birthday, to drink, more than for monetary value! Will it be ok, and how should it be stored?. It's currently in the presentation box it came in, they never thought of wine tbh!
TIA

If you store wine for yourself, you'll need to make sure you have suitable conditions - 20 years of temperature changes will not improve a wine. So if you're wanting to do this seriously, and don't already keep wine for considerable lengths of time, I think you'd be much better paying a company to do it on your behalf.

hf128219 Mon 24-Oct-11 15:56:24
Bloodredrubyblue Mon 24-Oct-11 15:56:04

I have always bought a bottle of vintage port for all my godchildren and friends' children.

I also wrote a letter and placed it in the box as a 'time capsule' for when they open it on their 21st. So far I have only got one godson who is over 21 and he chose to sell his and put the money towards his first car, he got about £500 for it.

I prefer doing that than buying a teddy or clothes. grin

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Mon 24-Oct-11 15:55:15

We have done this with Port for both DD's.

DH has a good old stash in the house, plus a few more cases with Corney and Barrow.

Lizcat Mon 24-Oct-11 15:50:56

As a result of DH being a wine bore/ diploma in wines and spirits holder we have a lot of wine put down for DD's 18th etc. En Primeur (buying it before they put it in the bottle) is often the most economically way of doing this DH is dead pleased with himself as some stuff he bought at £15 per bottle and is hiding away currently retails at nearly £200 per bottle. However, what I have seen that if you are doing it yourself you need to do lots and lots of research to make sure you get the right wine or you should pay for advice. Good places to start for research are Decanter magazine, Hugh Johnson's pocket wine book and Jancis Robinson's website.
The side effect is that it can help you get some really amazing bargains for everyday drinking DH just bought some gold medal winning Macon that was on discount at Waitrose for £4.59 per bottle.

fivegomadindorset Fri 21-Oct-11 23:26:49

Definitely not grin

falasportugues Fri 21-Oct-11 22:58:44

okay, it's not just us that has that problem thengrinblush

fivegomadindorset Fri 21-Oct-11 22:54:01

Wine company, they hide it for you to prevent you drinking it grin

falasportugues Fri 21-Oct-11 22:53:17

is berry brothers and rudd a wine company or an investment companygrin I was thinking of buying something in a shop and hiding it in the attic!

fivegomadindorset Fri 21-Oct-11 21:42:52

DS has 24 bottles of wine somewhere in London given to him as an investment by his Godfather through Berry Brother's and Rudd. This will be kept for a sepcific amount of years ( I think 21 in DS's case) and is then either for him to drink or sell.

My brother's Godfather gave him a case of port which my father and his friends drank grin

falasportugues Fri 21-Oct-11 21:40:18

A friend had a 40th birthday a couple of years ago, and his father produced a 40 year old case of port he had laid down for him.... isn't that lovely? I bet you would need some knowledge to do this successfully though. anybody got any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now