Help! I'm addicted to New Zealand Marlborough White Wines!!

(25 Posts)
CDMforever Tue 05-Jul-11 21:02:48

Lovely though they are I really want to spread my wine wings.
Where would I go from here? Probably want to stick to white, not keen on chardonnay.
A few weeks ago had a very nice wine from waitrose called Chat En Oeuf but can't seem to find it or remember what sort of wine it was.
Need some ideas please...

AchtungBaby Tue 05-Jul-11 21:11:15

You had a very nice wine called 'Chat with Egg' grin? I'm not surprised that you can't find it again.

YANBU to be addicted to NZ white wines btw.

I wouldn't bother, because really you can't beat a NZ Sauvignon Blanc.....

CDMforever Tue 05-Jul-11 21:16:40

Achtung We now call this wine Shitty Egg....not quite sure why. Always had an unhinged sense of humour.grin
No I do LOOOOOOVE my NZ white wines especially Rabbit Row and Montana (now called Brancott Estate methinks) and Nobilo. But theres a big wide world of wine out there and I want to try something new.
Have tried other Sauvignon Blancs but they seem to match the NZs.

CDMforever Tue 05-Jul-11 21:17:20

Sorry, they NEVER seem to match the NZs. Very kernacked tonite!

Chablis and Sancerre are nice (but pricey). Some Itlian dry wines (e.g. Frascati, Verdicchio) can be ok, but I still prefer NZ Sauv Blanc. Montana is one of my favourites, also like Oyster Bay and Villa Maria.

AchtungBaby Tue 05-Jul-11 22:14:57

I agree with NormanTheForeman. Have you tried Cloudy Bay's Sauvignon Blanc? It's lovely. Also their Te koko (IIRC) is the most lovely wine I've ever tasted.

Oh yes, I just saw that you mentioned Nobilo, I tried that last week and was very impressed.

celadon Tue 05-Jul-11 22:20:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CDMforever Wed 06-Jul-11 20:03:29

norman and achtung I know and adore all the wines you have mentioned.
My mouth is watering at the thought of them!
Will give your suggestions a try norman, thanks.
Will also take a gander at Astrolabe.

stclair Sun 24-Jul-11 22:15:49

Ah, Astrolabe can't be beaten . . . and also St Clair!

orienteerer Sun 24-Jul-11 22:19:08

You need to try an Austrian (please don't laugh, that joke was oh so 70's) grape variety called Gruner Veltliner

stclair Sun 24-Jul-11 22:21:39

Oh I'm salivating. Try Felton Road or Martinborough Vineyard reislings. Fabulous. Or a German Dr Loosen reisling?

DialsMavis Tue 28-Feb-12 10:59:51

Chablis........ Mmmmmmm. I always get the tesco finest ones when they see on offer. They do a regular one and a premier cru one too smile

hillbilly Mon 16-Apr-12 21:15:01

Yay I second Gruner Veltiner - sainburys do a lovely one and it's softer than a sauvignon. I also like a dry reisling.

mindgone Wed 18-Apr-12 15:05:09

Laithwaites ( google it!) are great for recommending good wines and do great deals! Tell them what you like and they will recommend similar wines, all fully guaranteed! If you don't like it, for whatever reason, they will replace or refund. Best to phone them for recommendations. Btw, I don't work for them! Just love them!

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Sat 16-Jun-12 06:52:47

I really love very dry white wines and I find you can't really go wrong with an Italian Pinot grigio, or any dry Italian whites really. I'm sure there's better out there, but Italian whites seem to be consistent, even the cheap ones. smile

olivestree Mon 23-Jul-12 19:59:43

Me too!!!! I love The Reach. It has been half off in Tesco recently too. Even better. smile

I have some of The Reach in the fridge right now! smile

olivestree Mon 23-Jul-12 20:17:48

Oooh, get it out Norman.

Italian Pinot Grigio half off in Tesco once again for me tonight. Doesn't come close.

<slurps>

Am drinking "The Reach" now........... <falls over>

olivestree Tue 24-Jul-12 09:27:23

Hope you enjoyed it Norman. I am blaming my headache on the high pollen count this morning. grin

Mmm, it was lovely! smile

If you see a Kim Crawford over there, try it out. It's very pleasant, retails less than CA$20. The Sav Blanc is very fresh, perfect for summer

kim crawford

IamtheZombie Tue 24-Jul-12 17:36:09

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now