Wine headaches

(10 Posts)
thenightsky Tue 07-Aug-12 22:21:40

chardonnay gives me shocking headaches the next day.

I always used to have no trouble with cava, but that's started being bad too.

Chein Blanc from Tesco was recommended by a MNer recently and I find that fine.

Tr123 Tue 07-Aug-12 22:11:34

Chardonnay gives me morning after headaches too. Try Pinot grigio.

Maria121 Wed 01-Aug-12 14:20:40

I just love wine. There is no question of headache if I am having wine in my hand.

Maria121 Fri 29-Jun-12 08:29:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

poppadoodle Thu 15-Mar-12 11:46:23

I have a headache from the white wine i drank last night....not sure which bottle has caused it though so cant help!

Lizcat Sun 21-Aug-11 13:46:57

Is it cheaper new world wines? If it is they are often oaked with oak flavourings or oak chips which can leave residues which can cause headaches? This is very common in Australian chardonnay.
S.Blanc is usually not oaked so that might be the case if they are your safe wines.
Personally my headaches are caused by tannins so red are totally out and actually I can't drink Strong teas like yorkshire tea for the same reason.

KateMiddletonsMum Fri 24-Jun-11 22:47:13

Chardonnay always gives me a bad head too. Like this thread grin

Clarence15 Sat 18-Jun-11 10:00:02

Interesting, I'll bear that in mind too. Do you find red/rose/White has any bearing? I don't really drink red but any rose I've tried has also been fine, so it's whites I'm struggling with.

organic wines never give me headaches

I DO know that the plural of anecdote is not data but lots of my friends find this to be so, too

Clarence15 Sat 18-Jun-11 09:35:46

Ooh a wine forum! Just joined mn so just finding my way round, I like the look of this one!

Anyway, I didn't drink wine for a long time as it always gave me a hideous headache even after just one glass. However I've since found a couple that don't so I've stuck to them and been fine. Does anyone know if there's a particular type that causes problems?

I thought it was the sulphates, but a friend of mine swears it's chardonnay wines that give her headaches. I must admit that I've avoided chardonnays since then and neither of my
'safe' wines are chardonnays so there might be something in it. Any thought?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now