Mumsnet Wine Club launch wine tasting 9-10pm Thursday 24th March 2011

(394 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Mar-11 14:27:28

By now, some of you should have had delivery of either the tasting cases you won in our prize draw, or the ones you ordered.

Inside your case you'll find six bottles which will enable you to take part in our first online wine tasting and discussion.

The bar opens at 9pm on Thursday 24th March 2011 with last orders at 10pm. All you have to do is find a glass, log on to Mumsnet and let us know what you think of what you're drinking.

We'll have one of the winemakers whose wine is included in the case, Heidi Seifried, logging in from her vineyard in Nelson, which is on the western side of New Zealand as well as Rowan Gormley, Naked Wines' founder from not-so-far-away Norfolk, who'll be on hand to answer any general wine questions you might have.

WIN CHAMPAGNE!
And if all that's not enough of an incentive, we've got three bottles of champagne on ice to offer out to Mumsnetters who join in the chat.

So whether you want to just try one bottle with us or open all six from the tasting case and invite some friends round to share the fun, we look forward to seeing you online on the night.

There's still time to order your case if you haven't done so already. It's £39.99 for the six bottles (a discount of over £25) and if you order before 21st March you'll have your wines in time for the tasting.

Cheers! wine

kittycat234 Thu 24-Mar-11 22:23:35

Been lots of fun. Think I am a convert

DollyTwat Thu 24-Mar-11 22:24:09

I love your wines and have been an angel for a few years, and whilst I'm happy to explain to my friends on twitter how it works, could you explain a bit better to people? The commitment of £20 a month is worrying some.

I'm not sure the concept is clear enough.
I think of it as getting top notch wines at a good price because I don't pay for the advertising and I support the vineyards directly

MrsFogi Thu 24-Mar-11 22:27:35

Aaaah I can't believe this is over - I hadn't realised it finished at 10. Dh and I have just finished dinner and our lovely bottle of wine.

terribletracey Thu 24-Mar-11 22:28:15

i think it is still on!

terribletracey Thu 24-Mar-11 22:38:26

oh it must be finished now! bye everyone

SirBoobAlot Thu 24-Mar-11 22:42:12

I'm still drinking Tracey, if it makes you feel any better grin

dawntigga Fri 25-Mar-11 05:34:25

I missed this due to family ishoos.

SorrtTiggaxx

LottisDad Fri 25-Mar-11 09:03:57

Apologies - I had a couple of glasses last night & was alseep before 9pm!

Was going to pass comment on the three that had been tried (& enjoyed):

Seifried Nelson 2008 - good Syrah, warm on the mouth - but not full of deep flavours, no tannins. I normally drink Shiraz from Down Under - hence thought this was not interesting enough

Aotea Nelson 2010 - a regular Savignon Blanc if anything a bit too syrup like. I normally have a cold Chardonnay

Seifried Nelson 2009 - a much better Gewurztraniner that I was expecting, am not keen on sweet wines normally, but this had a great nose & was not loaded with sugar

Otherwise our box only had the Kimbau from Chile & the Touraine from France in - although it was well sealed there was not a sixth wine...

Jux Sat 26-Mar-11 21:12:23

Hi! Better late than never! I'm off the painkillers and was going to wait for Sunday lunch before opening anything, but after dh went out this evening a couple of friends turned up on their way to somewhere or other, and I couldn't resist it.

So, we've had the Carmenere. This is lovely, fruity, rich. Delicious. We had it on its own and I'm a bit woozy now having had no head at all since dd was born 11 years ago.

Thank you. Slurp.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Mar-11 15:54:01

... and the winners of the Champagne are MmeLindt, LeninGrad and TrillianAstra. Congratulations, look in your inbox.

MikeRotch Tue 29-Mar-11 15:55:06

on what basis was this awarded? hmm

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Mar-11 16:44:10

On the basis that you lose wink [kidding, we did it like we always do - random selection].

MikeRotch Tue 29-Mar-11 22:28:19

Hmm

Do you do names in a hat on little bits of paper, or do you do something clever with a spreadsheet?

Jux Sun 03-Apr-11 10:54:00

Well, we've drunk all the reds and my fave was Carmenere with the Franc a close second. I like the dryness and they're still really fruity and full bodied. DH and our two friends who got pissed, er, tasted with us preferred the Seifried.

We also drank the Aotea which I thought was delicious for a white (don't generally like white much); we didn't finish it and I had the last of it (not quite one glass) with supper last night - we hadn't put it back in the fridge so it was room temp and amazingly enough, it was very good despite that. When it was cool on Friday night, it was my friend's favourite and she had practically the whole bottle! Very drinkable.

The Seifried seems to be more of a quaffing wine while the other two reds merit savouring; well, I think so and I'm the one that counts!!!!

Jux Sun 03-Apr-11 10:54:19

Thank you very much.

brodiepie Tue 13-Dec-11 14:56:08

Hi. I'm very interested in your wine offer and took a look at the wines in your selection. I can't find any of them anywhere else!!!! Why is this???? The only ones I found mention of were the Arabella Sauvignon at about half the price (£3.40 instead of £7.99) and the Black Label at £5.15 instead of your £8.99. Can you tell me a bit more about the offer please? Looking a lot more expensive (or not as big a reduction) as I thought!

saunterer Wed 25-Jul-12 13:53:06

Drinking wine each week with 20 other people makes for a nice bond! Pick a theme and make sure there is plenty of food and then we gather, sip, talk, laugh and enjoy. Most of us aren't blessed with a permanent wine drinking companion, either on the home front or elsewhere, so this is a nice way to enjoy our passion, learn about some new wines and socialize.

saunterer Mon 13-Aug-12 10:05:05

There are about as many reasons to sign yourself up for a wine club subscription as there are reasons to drink wine. Deciding what type of wine club to join and then which specific wine club to purchase can be a daunting, but ultimately rewarding experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now