Mumsnet Wine Club launch wine tasting 9-10pm Thursday 24th March 2011

(394 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Mar-11 14:27:28

By now, some of you should have had delivery of either the tasting cases you won in our prize draw, or the ones you ordered.

Inside your case you'll find six bottles which will enable you to take part in our first online wine tasting and discussion.

The bar opens at 9pm on Thursday 24th March 2011 with last orders at 10pm. All you have to do is find a glass, log on to Mumsnet and let us know what you think of what you're drinking.

We'll have one of the winemakers whose wine is included in the case, Heidi Seifried, logging in from her vineyard in Nelson, which is on the western side of New Zealand as well as Rowan Gormley, Naked Wines' founder from not-so-far-away Norfolk, who'll be on hand to answer any general wine questions you might have.

WIN CHAMPAGNE!
And if all that's not enough of an incentive, we've got three bottles of champagne on ice to offer out to Mumsnetters who join in the chat.

So whether you want to just try one bottle with us or open all six from the tasting case and invite some friends round to share the fun, we look forward to seeing you online on the night.

There's still time to order your case if you haven't done so already. It's £39.99 for the six bottles (a discount of over £25) and if you order before 21st March you'll have your wines in time for the tasting.

Cheers! wine

confuddledDOTcom Thu 17-Mar-11 09:08:29

Yay! Just had my delivery, thank you!

OH is trying to convince me I don't have to drink them all all on Thursday between 9pm and 10pm grin he tried telling me "but you can't drink them" ha! Pregnancy hasn't stopped me yet wink (seriously I won't drink all of them in one go, I don't drink a lot anyway let alone pregnant)

withagoat Thu 17-Mar-11 09:10:59

How will it work? Will you do ALL six in one night?!

withagoat Thu 17-Mar-11 10:50:08

?

withagoat Thu 17-Mar-11 10:59:49

oh bloody hell ive succummbed

anyone want my reds?

confuddledDOTcom Thu 17-Mar-11 11:17:03

I don't mind some more wine wink

Just had a delivery, lovely

Only problem is, I'm not around next Thursday. I'll have to visit the thread later on.

The wines look very nice, and I've been to Nelson <<waves to Heidi who must be up very early and probably not in a wine-drinking mood when the tasting happens>>

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Mar-11 12:58:08

Yes we'll cover all six on the night.

It's going to be between 10-11am in New Zealand, so it's not hideously early for Heidi.

Not hideously early to be up, but maybe a liitle bit early for wine wink

I was thinking it was 12 hrs offset but forgot about daylight savings.

5inthebed Thu 17-Mar-11 13:44:38

I've just got home to find a surprise delivery of wine grin. Didn't even realise I'd won. Postman left the box by my bins though, luckily I live off the road.

Ooooh how exciting, just got home to find my delivery too! I'm doing a pampered chef that night so will have to share my wine

When you say we'll be covering all six is that so people have a choice of which one/s to try? tis a school night after all wink

wine

Just got my delivery too, thank you Mumsnet! Actually tried to give it back to the delivery man as had no recollection of entering the competition. Ha! Sadly, I too will not be able to make the Thurs eve but quite happy to taste a few beforehand and leave my comments ... Am a big fan of New Zealand whites (have been to Nelson too) but can't usually afford them!

Bottoms up wine

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Mar-11 15:14:05

If you can't make it on the night, do please post any tasting comments you have before then, and we'll ask Heidi and Rowan to give us their reactions!

pipplin Thu 17-Mar-11 16:01:13

I also got a surprise delivery! Thank you very much!
I'll be here on Thurs
Had such a crap and worrying week, am taking a bottle to taste with my folks tomorrow for a late lunch to cheer me up.
Cheers everyone wine

confuddledDOTcom Thu 17-Mar-11 17:07:00

A day for winning, my daughter came home with worker of the week (she's been off sick two days, too) although she doesn't get the case of wine as a prize grin

Mine was delivered quite early, I was up but upstairs and the postman put it inside the house when I didn't come straight down. It's bin day here so probably better than the street! I didn't remember the competition either but was hoping it was a belated birthday present wink

MaureenMLove Thu 17-Mar-11 17:22:41

Thankyou Mumsnet! I look forward to enjoying it with you!

I'm away Friday-Friday so I guess that means I'd better try one tonight and post my comments!

dawntigga Thu 17-Mar-11 18:37:37

Just got mine.

WeWereSupposedToWait?HicTiggaxx

PS Just joking it's in the fridge or on the wine rack accordingly {wink]

SilveryMoon Thu 17-Mar-11 19:08:16

I came home from work to discover a box waiting by my front door. I saw the words 'naked wine' and was a bit confused.............
Thank you so much mumsnet
I am going to a friends for drinks tomorrow and think I will take a few bottles along so they can taste too.
I'm not a red wine girl, so wouldn't have a clue, but my friend's aren't fussy!!
look forward to the thread on 24th, have just put it on my diary

Indaba Thu 17-Mar-11 19:58:26

Live overseas so can't join in....but just wanted to say well done for who ever came up with this idea.

Oh have been off Mumsnet for a while and I have no idea why I became a stranger when such sensible stuff is happening here.

Enjoy! wine

oohlaalaa Thu 17-Mar-11 20:22:01

This is a thread hijack, now give me your red wine advice.

(unfortunately I missed to join the mumsnet wine club, so cant contribute)

I'm getting married this summer, in a village hall. We have bought some Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc on special offer at £6.99 as the white table wine.

We are still to choose red wine for the tables. Our budget is £5 to £7. What do you recommend? We are eating roast beef. I was thinking possibly a Rioja.

wine

Lewymum Thu 17-Mar-11 20:29:58

Got my delivery today. Yayyyy!!! Not won anything like that before so very pleased. Was a bit dubious when I saw the box addressed to me until I saw the 'congratulations' letter. Cheated a bit and opened one of the whites this eve. Must say it's absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Thank you!!!! Will def join in on Thursday.
Cheers!
x

JOLOJAMES Thu 17-Mar-11 21:01:20

I also got my delivery today - cheered me up no end! Have marked my diary for 9pm and hopefully will have tasted one or more beforehand ...

withagoat Thu 17-Mar-11 21:14:11

ive been on the site

the wines on it are WAY TOO ££ for me to buy everyday tbh £8 a bottle? id go to Majestic

DP and I are trying the Seifried Syrah today.

I like screwcap bottles.

I often drink Shiraz but tend to go for the very big Australian ones.

Smells of spice or something, not just normal fruit/wine smells. The fruity wineyness is there in your mouth but the aftertaste is not red or purple, it is very light.

DP says he can smell a specific type of wood (I am typing as we are talking) maybe cedarwood. Not oasky

So: spice in the smell, fruit in the tate, interesting light wood in the aftertaste. Definitely more comlex than my usual Asutralian Shiraz, which would be all about the fruit and not much else.

cantstandabba69 Thu 17-Mar-11 22:02:27

I too had a very welcomed surprise delivery (found by my confused hubby in the back garden) - after having had an especially bad fortnight this has cheered us up no end - thank you all at Mumsnet
We decided to choose one to go with dinner tonight and I insisted on a white as we were having fish. The hubby grudgingly agreed (he usually only likes red) but it's gone down very well - the loveliest wine I've tried in a long time! He's on his second glass and is now writing songs at the piano, so all is cheerful here once more.
I will try to join the live thread next week, although I'm supposed to be at a friends having my hair cut. I usually take a bottle of red with me though, so I can get her opinion too. Being over 6 months pregnant I need to spread this out a bit and get friends involved (which won't be hard!)
I'll add a review of all we've tasted on here soon too!
&#9829;

BonzoDooDah Thu 17-Mar-11 23:45:01

Woo Hoo - I came home to a surprise delivery too. Super stuff Mumsnet and NakedWines. Just reading the labels makes me drool.
I love New Zealand wines - especially shiraz and Sauvignon Blanc ... and I've picked fruit in Nelson in exchange for Salsa lessons so great to have a Nelson vintner here.

Cheers! wine

mmsparkle Fri 18-Mar-11 12:01:24

Many thanks Mumsnet, we were delighted (and confused) to find a box of wine on our doorstep yesterday!
Tried one of the white wines yesterday - much better than the cheap plonk we'd usually buy.
More grown-up official tasting notes to come... wine

DollyTwat Fri 18-Mar-11 23:48:47

I've used naked wines for a few years now, and they're not expensive if you buy the wines on the vine. So a case of wine might cost you £25 and you get it when it's picked.
I was also lucky enough to win a case!

MrsFogi Sat 19-Mar-11 23:13:28

I love you MN - I received a surprise delivery too! This is the first competition I have won since I won £10 on the lottery when dd1 was two weeks old (she is 5.5 yo now!) so this has brightened my half decade up no end. Thank you! Have told dh we are doing an online wine tasting next week - he is very confused about the whole thing!

oh Helen, I LOVE your blue background. It really suits you.

withagoat Sun 20-Mar-11 10:02:26

DOLLY TWAT good tip about advance bookings

will do that - they need to tidy up that part of the site - too many on there sold out and sort out according to colour

Reggiee Sun 20-Mar-11 18:56:27

I'm supping the Seifried Nelson 2009 Gewurztraminer (sorry - tried to last til Thursday but it was looking at me longingly from the wine rack).
Fab wine - very easy to drink <tops up glass>. Slightly sweet and smooth. Best white I've had for a while. Thanks Heidi!

pipplin Sun 20-Mar-11 19:35:07

Reggies- I tried on Fri. Amazing! My new favourite wine.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Mar-11 11:33:23

Oohlala - you're not too late to join Wine Club. (We'll be posting details of new promotions and competitions on the Wine Club page once this wine tasting has been and gone).

And our guests from Naked Wines will be happy to take on any general wine questions at the wine tasting webchat this coming Thursday evening.

LeninGrad Mon 21-Mar-11 20:41:53

I am just finishing their Kimbao Sauvignon from Friday shock Like it, slightly too much for me but nice nonetheless.

What's this buying on the vine thing?

Jux Wed 23-Mar-11 10:19:14

I won wine, but am unsure whether it was conditional on doing the tasting (which I can't do after all as I've done back in and am on massive painkillers - 3 different ones - and am not allowed to drink with them). Should the case I've got be picked up and given to someone else [weep!]?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 23-Mar-11 15:06:07

Jux - it's not a three-line whip, but we really would love as many of the 100 winners as possible to come on tomorrow night for the tasting - the busier it is, the more likely we'll be to run another tasting again.

You're definitely excused duty - hope you're able to enjoy the wine soon.

confuddledDOTcom Wed 23-Mar-11 15:55:44

I shall try my best to sample as many of them as I can but being pregnant I will be limited by my lack of pregnancy alcohol tolerance as I'm a good girl.

NorkyButNice Wed 23-Mar-11 16:25:25

I'll be there tomorrow, although am not guaranteeing to taste all 6 as DH is out for the night and I'm in sole charge of children (hic!).

Might open a couple to try with dinner tonight and take notes.

r0se Wed 23-Mar-11 17:21:43

Thanks so much .. enjoyed very much .. I am afraid we actually only have one left as my other half started on them pretty much straight away .. loved the peppery one .. very nice Thanks x

Jux Wed 23-Mar-11 22:12:14

Oh thank you Catherine. I am feeling tremendously guilty about it, if that helps!

HeidiSeifried Wed 23-Mar-11 22:23:07

Hi guys

Greetings from sunny NZ.... we are up to our eyes in grapes here in the midst of our hectic harvest season! We are now a third of the way through our harvest and the fruit and wines are looking fabulous. Enjoying a run of beautiful sunny days which is just what our ripening grapes need!

Really looking forward to the Mumsnet tasting tomorrow. Pleased to know so many of you have already received your tasting packs.... I look forward to tasting through our Seifried wines along side you from this side of the planet and answering all your questions on our wines.

And, FYI, it will be 10am Friday morning here NZ time, and these will probably not be the first wines I will be sampling on the morning... I must assure you I spit routinely given the number of wines a winemaker frequently needs to sample in a day! All in a days work!

Catch you tomorrow for the tasting!

Best
Heidi

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 10:42:30

Hello everyone, Heidi and I are looking forward to our tasting tonight. 6 bottles in one hour...no problem!

Rowan

LeninGrad Thu 24-Mar-11 14:31:57

Hello, will try and join later. How do I buy on the vine?

Spidermama Thu 24-Mar-11 14:46:58

Uh Oh! Was I shpose to save ssome. <hic>

I drank the AOA white and it was lovely.

Will try and join tonight but am in work early at the mo' so early nights.

withagoat Thu 24-Mar-11 14:55:17

ive ordered the mN box
and now ordered some on the vine that im getting in september i think
was £40 the other day for 6 bottles

i think its this one although you cant see on teh site what wine you ordered - presume i have an email thing here

the angel thing is hard to understnad
somethign abotu " putting" £20 into an account

this is not at all clear - but i seem to be doing it

withagoat Thu 24-Mar-11 14:55:58

yes its that one

AtYourCervix Thu 24-Mar-11 16:49:15

Humph. Bloody lent.

Hello all, hope you have a lovely time tonight. Sadly I can't make it but it was DD2's 3rd birthday on Sunday and we had a few friends round; what better time to crack open some wine and elicit some comments?

So as I can't make it later, and we did receive a lovely box of wine as a great surprise gift from Mumsnet, here are our comments on the two we tried (NB please note, as will become rapidly apparent, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to wine!):

Aotea Sauvignon Blanc

I'm a big fan of sauv blanc generally and NZ ones in partic and thought this was delicious! Classic sauv blanc aroma, v fruity. Initial taste a little dry but grew fruitier. Main comment was 'very quaffable'! V easy drinking, would definitely drink this again.

Kimbao Cab Sav

Lovely rich red colour. Overtones of raspberries (apparently!) and a hint of vanilla. V fruity aroma although taste was a little chemical, perhaps the sulphites? Think would have helped to let it breathe for a while rather than wading on in as we did! This wasn't generally quite as popular, possibly because of the aftertaste. Loved the paw print on the bottle (because named after their labrador, aaaaaah).

Anyway, have a fab time, will be checking back on your comments later with interest!

wine

TWJ Thu 24-Mar-11 17:47:33

Thank you so much for the prize. Unfortunately my internet access at home is down (again!!). However, I did want to thank you for the wine. I have never won a competition before and this one was very well timed. Having had a miscariage the week before it was such a lovely surprise to have a box of wine arrive on my doorstep. Wine and coffee were certainly missed during the 11 weeks I had to abstain. The quality of the wine was all the more appreciated.

Please pass on my thanks and best wishes to Heidi. I suspect it is a marketing campaign that could well have worked on us. I'll admit to having drunk them already and they are wonderful wines, excellent quality. Although they aren't for everyday quaffing, I believe that they are all good value for very good quality wine.

The whites had lovely clean, crisp flavours, even my husband (who rarely ventures into the new world) was impressed. The reds were even better!

Cheers!!

roisin Thu 24-Mar-11 17:54:37

I've tried one red and one white so far. I will have to go and check the labels as to which ones hmm Both were OK; drinkable, but not bowled over by either tbh. (Will hop off and find the details.)

Dh's comment is on foodmiles. Recently we've tried to buy european wines, rather than ones that are travelling half way across the planet. (Along with similar policies for other foods).

Does anyone else feel this way? Is there any justification for drinking wine from New Zealand, California, Chile or Australia?

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 18:00:45

I think I consider New World and Old World wines to be completely different products - you can't buy a NZ Sauvignon from a European country, and the taste is completely different from a French wine grown using the same grape.

Terroir and all that.

It's not like buying British veg rather than shipping some in from overseas.

Hope that makes sense!

MmeLindt Thu 24-Mar-11 18:02:13

Can I ask about the whole MN wine club. I love the idea, but seem to be too thick - where do I find the "MN case"? Or details about the wines that you will be sampling tonight.

I live in Switzerland so cannot take part (I can drink with you but it will be German and French wines, I am afraid) but would be interested in joining the wine club to send my parents wine occasionally.

Can you tell us why we should order wine from you, rather then buying in a supermarket? I would much rather order from someone who can tell me a bit about the wine than pick up a bottle at random in the supermarket.

knackeredmutha Thu 24-Mar-11 18:45:26

Wines ready, taste buds ready....looking forward!

orienteerer Thu 24-Mar-11 19:04:48

I some how missed this onesad, I'd love to have joined you.....I'll pay more attention next timegrin.

LeninGrad Thu 24-Mar-11 19:07:06

It's tonight!

Have just opened second bottle - DH is a bit of a wine buff and quite often trades a bit of wine and makes a decent return so he is helping me.

I didn't like the gewurztraminer - which is the only one I had opened up until about 5 minutes ago - I have to go to a handbag and jewellry (sp?) party a few doors along but will try and pop back in plenty of time to join you guys.

OH DH just brought in the Nelson 2008 Syrah - is yummy - not too heavy and quite fruity and light - no whiff of petrol or custard though!!! DH will be able to be far more objective and sensible than I - he says 'not as much ooph as Bordeaux, but a bit punchier than Burgundy though unlikey to give you the hangover of the latter! Fairly typical new world production, lots of different spicey fruity flavours at a fraction of the cost of european wines no doubt'.

I know I will like the Sauvingnon Blandc though - my fave wine after those made with Voignier grapes.

Fillybuster Thu 24-Mar-11 19:57:17

Right, off to open the NZ Sauv Blanc in preparation for tonight. Only caveat is that I've only just got home and dh will be back in about 30 mins so I'll be trying to cook dinner and catch up with DH (about small things, like buying a house, massive career changes etc) at the same time as doing the tasting...something is going to have to give!!

LeninGrad Thu 24-Mar-11 20:06:24

I couldn't get Heidi's ones as individual bottles at the time as they showed as sold out and I didn't want a pack with reds so I got:

Arabella Chenin Blanc 2010 - just opened, very nice, don't usually buy this grape/ variety/ whatever we call it, not as heavy as the SBs I usually get so might get some more Chenins

Kimbao Sauvignon Blanc 2010 - Chilean right? Have never bought Chilean wine before, found it a touch cloying/ heavy/ frutiy/ full but nice nonetheless

Castillo de Tafalla Rosado 2010 - was lovely, quite full, better on day 2

Still got these to go:
Prosecco Spumante Borgo di Sassi
Stirling Rocks Semillon Sauvignon Blanc 2009
Il Barone Pinot Grigio 2010

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 20:06:41

Marking place for later grin

LeninGrad Thu 24-Mar-11 20:11:07

I have just added Classic South Nelson Sauvignon Blanc 2010 to my basket for next time and the Classic South Pinot Gris 2010. It would be going some for me to go up to £15/ £20 a bottle I'm afraid. Will look out for the buying on the vine stuff in future.

Doogle2 Thu 24-Mar-11 20:16:56

Thank you very much for the wine - it was a lovely surprise. I love NZ wines and I like my wine very dry. I normally avoid Dessert Wines for this reason and wondered if you could recommend one that isn't too sweet. Thanks and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! smile

SpitSpot Thu 24-Mar-11 20:18:38

We have tried the French Sauvignon Blanc and thought it was much more interesting than our usual Pinot Grigios. Really aromatic, with complex flavours that you could still taste after you had swallowed (sure there is a technical term for that!).

I rarely buy French wine but might have to try some more out (good point above about food miles also)

M44 Thu 24-Mar-11 20:21:42

Aotea Sauvignon Blanc

we drank this at the weekend with our roast chicken......deliciously fruity and very very drinkable!!! Would definitely buy it again....probably for a do of the 40th birthday type in June......would go beautifully with the summer buffet we have planned.

I will comment about other wines another day, but now I have a date with the vomit bowl and bed.....NOTHING to do with wine, I hasten to add. So have loads of fun and I can't wait to be better to continue drinking wine.......hideous bugs from school-such timing. GRRRR.

oooh must go.....

Fillybuster Thu 24-Mar-11 20:23:01

Mmmm....just started on the NZ sauv blanc.....dry, minerally, gooseberry, zingy...ahhhh! Seriously, just what I needed after the day I've just had.

Off to savour it in the bath whilst the salmon cooks - will ask dh his opinion if there's any left by the time he gets home.

<hic> I love you Mumsnet....you're my besht friend <hic> wine

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 20:26:48

Hi it's Rowan from Naked Wines here

We're just drinking the Aotea as well...with Jamie Oliver's fish pie.

Sorry to hear about the vomit bowl M44!

Jackstini Thu 24-Mar-11 20:29:42

Missed this originally as been working too hard to MN as many hours minutes as usual.
However, am a naked wines angel and had a couple of these in stock so had to force myself to open some this week grin
Looking forward to this...

DollyTwat Thu 24-Mar-11 20:29:55

I love the Aotea Sauvignon Blanc, there wasn't any left when I went to buy some!
Very refreshing, fruity in a zesty kind of way, really drinkable

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 20:31:08

MmeLindt - there's no case offer at the moment, as we were still selling the tasting case for tonight up until Monday. But watch this space as we'll be putting up a new case offer very soon.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 20:32:38

The Kimbao syrah-cabernet franc is lovely - rich, smooth, christmas-puddingy - but SUPER STRONG. One and a half glasses in and I'm feeling slightly wobbly. [Fear I may not stay the distance].

moregranny Thu 24-Mar-11 20:34:25

Thank you very much for my box of wine, such a lovely surprise,I have been feeling rubbish as having tests for coeliac disease, fortunately wine is not banned on my list of food and drink, yay, am just off to get a bottle and glass, back soon.............

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 20:36:59

I'm trying the Aotea at the moment (with tomato and garlic chicken) - very nice although it's got what Dh calls an "eggy" aftertaste that he also picks up in other NZ sauvs like pioneer block.

Not as fruity as some - am looking forward to comparing it to Heidi's wine!

MmeLindt Thu 24-Mar-11 20:41:28

Justine
You are not supposed to drink two glasses of each wine [helpful]

Thanks, will look out for next case.

I have another question.

I was told that the climate is very important for the type of wine that is produced, ie. wines grown in cooler climates (such as Germany) will be stronger and more intense than wines grown in hot climates (such as NZ). I like fresh, lemony, fruity whites - so I should be looking at those from New World then?

And with reds? For fuller bodied wines, should I be looking at cooler climates such as France?

(I realise that France and Germany would be considered warm for Brits, but compared to NW or even sth Italy, they are cooler)

Have I remembered rightly?

moregranny Thu 24-Mar-11 20:41:36

Have chosen the Gewurzttraminer, best to spell it out now before I start drinking it

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 20:50:07

Hi mmeLindt

Its the other way around as a rule...hot climates mean riper grapes, with more sugar to turn to alcohol, so bigger flavours.

So if you like full bodied, go to warm climates

We'll be tasting a Syrah from New Zealand (which is cool) and another from Chile (which is warm) and you'll see the difference

Rowan

hutchav21uk Thu 24-Mar-11 20:50:25

Completely forgot I had enetered this competition so what a great surprise to come home from work and find this gorgeous box of wine on my doorstep!

I have given the red to a fellow mum and am currently opening and enjoying the Seifried Nelson 2009 white wine and have to say that it is going down rather well, even the hubby is having a glass!!

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 20:50:58

actually....we're also going to taste a cool and a warm climate sauvignon, which are also very different

moregranny Thu 24-Mar-11 20:51:25

Made a spelling mistake already blush

hutchav21uk Thu 24-Mar-11 20:53:16

this is acutally rather nice

Evening all

Have just cracked open the Aotea, it's luvvvvly, will go well with my pizza and smiles grin

hutchav21uk Thu 24-Mar-11 20:55:26

think that this nelson 2009 would do quite well as a stand alone drink or as somethng to introduce new drinkers too who have not had much experience in the wine area - would be a nice introduction to the world of wine

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 20:55:27

HI guys... got those tasting glasses all lined up and tasting palate primed up to get into these wines?? Sing out with the feedback / questions...
Heidi

Reggiee Thu 24-Mar-11 20:55:57

NotShort are you my twin? I've just cracked open the Aotea and am slurping it alongside my pizza.

moregranny Thu 24-Mar-11 20:56:06

I have drunk French wine for years and always used to bring lots of it home with me but I have been totally converted by new world wines, they have much more flavour.

orienteerer Thu 24-Mar-11 20:56:23

Wish I could join youenvy, I'll be signing up next time around.......

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 20:56:29

Quick question - if I open them all to test properly and only drink a bit, how long will they be ok for?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 20:57:26

In case you were wondering, here's the order in which we're going to taste tonight's wines:
Antoine Simoneau Sauvignon Blanc
Aotea Sauvignon Blanc (by Heidi)
Seifried Gewurtztraminer (Heidi)
Kimbao Cabernet Sauvignon Carmenere
Seifried Syrah (Heidi)
Kimbao Syrah Cabernet Franc

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 20:58:11

Hi hutchav21uk, indeed our very fruit forward pure intense wines from NZ are very approachable to a range of wine drinkers, including those newer to wines. Enjoy!

Reggiee I always felt like there was part of me missing grin

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 20:58:25

Hi IwishIwasmore....etc

The whites will be fine till tomorrow (kept in the fridge) and the reds all weekend. and then good for gravy!

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 20:59:16

Hi Heidi, how's the harvest going?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 20:59:52

Ok great - don't want to be wasting any!!!

knackeredmutha Thu 24-Mar-11 21:00:07

Touraine poured...nose ready...

hutchav21uk Thu 24-Mar-11 21:00:11

they are lovely - just wish the gewurtztraminer was around when I started out wine tasting - will def be buying more of this!

Reggiee Thu 24-Mar-11 21:01:03

How much should white wine be chilled? Dh always insists on putting it in the freezer for hours, where I reckon it only needs to be in the fridge long enough to have a slight chill.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:01:26

So here we go - I'd like to raise a glass to everyone who's managed to make it to Mumsnet's first Wine Club web chat - hopefully the first of many. As you can see we have Rowan Gormley - founder of Naked Wines with us, as well as Heidi Seifried, the winemaker responsible for some of the wines we're tasting tonight. Welcome all ! wine

kittycat234 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:02:06

I must admit my dh is loving that we won the comp, he loves his reds and bothe the Kimbao sauvignon and cabernet have gone down very well with him. He likes wines with a rich flavour. Me, I am still introducing myself to Reds but still struggle, so bring on the whites

In regards to the Sauvignon mentioned, we took the bottle at the weekend to dinner with more "red" drinkers and they were all really impressed which wasnt surprising as Chillean wines always do

orienteerer Thu 24-Mar-11 21:02:37

I'll buy a case next time as long as you include your Gruner Veltlinergrin, yum, yum

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:02:42

Great! We have yet another gorgeous day today and are harvesting Sauvignon Blanc from our Brightwater Vineyard and Riesling for our award winning Sweet Agnes Riesling! Fruit is coming in really nicely and weather on our side on the whole. Pleased to have an early season given the 2 vintage babies we have arriving over the next 5 weeks or so! Will have all teh grapes safely in by then all going to plan!

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:02:46

Welcome everyone to our “Wines by mums, for mums” tasting!

Please excuse typos in advance...I find typing hard enough at the best of times, never mind after a wine tasting ( I did start early, just to brush up)

Just to you know what we have in store for you...
- We will taste all 6 wines tonight. Don’t worry if that sounds like a waste. The whites will keep till tomorrow and the reds all weekend.
- All the wines will taste better if you pour them now and give them a chance to get some air before you taste them
- Any questions please fire away
- And have fun...it is not an exam, just a bit of a laugh

DollyTwat Thu 24-Mar-11 21:03:27

Ok I've got the other Sauvignon blanc open now, it's a little too dry for my taste but still very nice
I'm doing this on my own you know, just for you grin

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:04:01

wine

Have to say that we drank the Antoine Simoneau Sauvignon Blanc last night and throroughly enjoyed it. Crisp and fruity at the same time

hutchav21uk Thu 24-Mar-11 21:04:04

Have to admit still quite new to the red wines but if they are really fruity that is more suited to my palette at the mo!

Guadalupe Thu 24-Mar-11 21:04:22

<parks glass> wine

Thanks so much for the wine! Just finished the gewurztraminer. Yum.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:04:34

Just off to get more glasses in that case!

Are you supposed to let red wine breathe? Why?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:05:13

Trying the Antoine Simoneau Sauv Blanc now. It's very summery and light, perfect for the lovely day we've had today.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:05:26

Can we kick off with the Simoneau Sauvignon Blanc?

Everyone go that open?

or even, could you tell me why please blush

knackeredmutha Thu 24-Mar-11 21:06:03

So you're pregnant with twins, mid-harvest and doing an online wine tasting. Now THAT is multi-tasking!

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:06:04

- This was spotted by one of our customers at the London wine fair
- Made by Corinne Simoneau, the daughter of the head honcho
- It comes from the Loire Valley, which is a major tourist trap, but very lovely all the same
- Loire is the home of Sauvignon (it is the grape used to make Sancerre and Pouilly Fume, which are villages in the Loire)
- And as you will see....it is steely dry, very crisp.
- Give this one sometime in the glass...you’ll be amazed at how it opens up. It was bottled a few weeks ago
- When to drink this...right now, all the way through summer. It is not a wine to age, it is a wine to enjoy RIGHT NOW!

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 21:06:07

I'm sat here by myself with 2 kids asleep upstairs and 3 glasses of white wine in front of me - something wrong here!

Better go and open the reds now...

terribletracey Thu 24-Mar-11 21:06:19

can someone please direct me to the wine discussion. icant find it.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:06:53

This is it Tracey!

Flossish Thu 24-Mar-11 21:07:05

Am just doing the one, (glass that is, not bottle!) Aotea Sauvignon Blanc, as am pregnant. So feel a bit of a fraud for winning, but my DH and mother are very happy people so thank you very much for the case. Will add in my tuppence worth when you get to mine.

terribletracey Thu 24-Mar-11 21:07:13

i think i am in the right place!

moregranny Thu 24-Mar-11 21:07:16

I am surprised at the sweetness of the gewurztraminer, it tastes quite syrupy., possibly not dry enough for me but my DH loves it.

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 21:07:43

Hmm I prefer this one to the Aotea (which I tried earlier this evening). It's very quaffable!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:08:05

I love this white - how much is it if you have to buy it?

MumOnMission Thu 24-Mar-11 21:08:08

Hi! Am I in the right place? I've started tucking in!

hutchav21uk Thu 24-Mar-11 21:08:29

wow heidi pregnant with twins congratulations!!! bigs hugs, how far along are you? wine gorgeous

r0se Thu 24-Mar-11 21:08:42

We are trying the Seifried, Nelson 2009.. got to say its very light and refreshing .. going down a treat .. its very fresh smelling and you can detect the smell of Apricots .. not sure about the lychee but it is very pleasant.

Usually we also opt for Shiraz too, much like Trillian Astra above but this is a really nice change.

We are going to try the AOTEA next .. looking forward to it as we like NZ wine and the thought of a rich luscious wine with gooseberry, supposed to be crisp and fresh.. will let you know in twenty mins or so...

We tried the Kimono Wine and it was really fruity and rich tasting .. it did have a bitter edge to it that unfortunately ruined the taste a little for us.. but I am sure it will still get consumed

Mmm very crisp, I like this one. Reminds me of summery meadows!

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:09:26

As you can see....it is very definitely Sauvignon

But once you've tasted the next wine (Heidi's Aotea, which comes from New Zealand) you will see that this is much drier and leaner.

The reason is climate....Simoneau comes from the Loire (which is cool climate) and Heidi's come from New Zealand, which is relatively warm.

knackeredmutha Thu 24-Mar-11 21:09:28

I like the this one, not as ripe as an NZ Sauvignon, more subtle?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:10:22

So bigger flavours from hotter climates?

This one is slipping down nicely grin

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:10:58

If you want a food match...a plate of garlic prawns would be perfect.

The wine has quite a lot of acidity, so would cut through the oil and garlic very well...cleans the mouth so you can really taste the prawns

terribletracey Thu 24-Mar-11 21:11:48

i love wine but i must admit i like it with lemonade in and no exception to the sauvignon blanc. lovely wine though.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:11:48

OK next time can you send chefs round too? wink

kittycat234 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:11:56

Lovely wine, have never really been into "old country" wines and prefer the new country wines but this is actually really nice, either that or I am getting "older" and learning to appreciate it more lol :p

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:13:17

Kittycat, actually, for an old world wine, this is pretty fresh and fruity. So your taste buds are remaining true to you!

MmeLindt Thu 24-Mar-11 21:13:24

Can I ask you to link to the wines you are tasting as I may order some for my Dad's birthday. Thanks

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:13:32

Glad the Aotea Sauv opening up well at your end.... is showing well here too. Very fresh, alive and zingy which is what we strive for.
Likewise Gewurz Moregranny... this is one of my favourite grapes to work with with such intensity - we are just inoculating the 2011 today and it is a powerful and fragrant now as the finished will be.
No, single baby for me late vintage - end April, and single baby for my brother (also winemaker) mid vintage - mid April! 2011 will be a VERY fruitful harvest at Seifried Estate.
I promote responisble wine tasting during pregnancy - ie taste and spit!
Enjoy

BonzoDooDah Thu 24-Mar-11 21:14:36

I have the Aotea SavBlanc open so am waiting for the next tasting.
Reading the label of the Simoneau Sauvignon Blanc - the cut grass and nettles sounds delicous.

kittycat234 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:14:44

Well that is very interesting, I should probably not discount them as much

whiskersonkittens Thu 24-Mar-11 21:14:57

So pleased to see Chilean wine among them - always go for Chilean if I can - reasonably priced and very tasty. Just about to crack open the sauvignon blanc

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:15:05

inoculating?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:15:08

OK - moving on to the Aotea Sauvignon Blanc (by Heidi)

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:15:23

Not sure if you get my post earlier...open all the wines you plan to drink now.

They will all taste better with some air.

They need oxygen, just like us

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 21:15:29

This is really good actually!

Rowan - can you explain how buying wines on your site works at some point in these proceedings? I've signed as an "Angel" but other than committing to add 20 pounds to my account each month (not an issue as I easily spend more than that on wine elsewhere) - what are the benefits of Naked Wines over other retailers like Majestic?

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:15:54

Over to you Heidi?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:16:05

What are the sulphites in wine? I'm guessing some kind of preservative?

moregranny Thu 24-Mar-11 21:16:21

I think I will have to order another box to celebrate the birth of our first grandchild in June.

MumOnMission Thu 24-Mar-11 21:16:43

I'm a big fan of this wine (2009) - and I don't generally like white. Very fresh and a slight fizz... Really lovely

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:17:04

Ooooh! Bigger flavour here. Nice but could overpower some foods

knackeredmutha Thu 24-Mar-11 21:17:04

Just dived into the glass of squashed gooseberries that is the Aotea. Gorgeous! Easy to see why so many pick NZ Sauvignon over those from other countries...

Guadalupe Thu 24-Mar-11 21:17:06

Aotea sauv blanc open - smells delicious

BonzoDooDah Thu 24-Mar-11 21:17:24

I'd heard you had to let red wines breath but did not know the same held for whites. What is happening as they are sitting open? Are you not losing the delicous bottles scents?

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 21:17:26

Is Aotea by Heidi as well? I hadn't realised that!

This has improved with being open for a while actually - or maybe it just didn't go brilliantly with my dinner earlier!

(Or my taste-buds are being numbed with the alcohol)

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:17:26

inoculating = adding yeast to turn the grape juice sugars into wine (alcohol)... lovely smells. Our yeast do all the work to make the wine, so we strive to look after them and get them off to a good start!

Reggiee Thu 24-Mar-11 21:17:35

Really enjoyed the Gewurtztraminer. On the Aotea now. This has a really lovely smell.

Congrats on the pg Heidi.

novelgeri Thu 24-Mar-11 21:17:46

I had lots of things to say about the Gewurtztraminer when i started drinking it I have now polished off half the bottle and can't remember what they were. Something about powerful florals, I think. The Cath Kidston of wines. V nice, anyway.

mum2supercharlie Thu 24-Mar-11 21:18:15

Joining the room ....clink, clink

5inthebed Thu 24-Mar-11 21:18:57

I don;tusually like white wines, but found the Aotea Sauvignon Blanc quite nice. I'm eating garlic bread, is that the same as garlic prawns wink

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:19:08

Thanks Heidi - it sounded far more painful than adding yeast!

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 21:19:11

DH thought that this wine has a slight eggy after-taste - I can kind of see what he means (I guess sulphorous rather than eggy!) - what would that be?

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:19:15

Hi Norky

The general idea is that, by helping small winemakers, you get better wines at a really good price.

The way it works is
- you pay in £20 a month (ie enough for one bottle of wine a week)
- which you can then use to buy any wines you like
- we deliver next day
- and you get 33% CashBack for your next order

We use the money you pay in to support the winemakers, so they can focus on making wine (rather than selling wine). And we dont have to waste money selling to you, so we can afford to give you 33% off.

Does that make sense?

BonzoDooDah Thu 24-Mar-11 21:19:29

* (grr) Bottles'

Aotea - on opening sharp gooseberry / cat pee smell and the first taste after pouring was zingy and tongue tingling. Lots of gooseberry on tasting, rather sharp.

MumOnMission Thu 24-Mar-11 21:19:32

... Not as keen on the Aotea - tastes to me much more like a typical white wine with that sharp edge I'm not mad keen on. Hmmm going to grab some food so I'll see if that helps...

ensure Thu 24-Mar-11 21:19:54

First of all, thank you very much mumsnet and naked wines, getting my surprise wine delivery the other day was really great

My mum, husband, friend and I had a little tasting session earlier and made some notes with two of the bottles:
Ok, so we tried the NZ Syrah... thought it smelt quite acidic, tobacco-y, and mineral-y. We decided it was an earthy wine, it was thin, and also noticed spices, maybe cloves and mint.

Then we had the Chile Syrah Cabernet Franc... we tasted tea, cherries, blackberries. We thought it was oakier, and it had more tannins. It was thick and velvety, port-like.

And DH and I also had some of the NZ Sauvignon Blanc with a green spring vegetable risotto last night, and thought "pear drops", sweeter than some other NZ Sav Blanc, maybe fruitier.

My favourite was the NZ Syrah. But they were all tasty really!

It was definitely fun to think about and discuss what we were drinking rather than just thinking "yeah nice". If you see what I mean.

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:19:56

Yes, Aotea is by myself and our team here too (as well as Classic South = Naked Wines exclusive wine blends) and our Estate Seifried label. Basically Aotea is our reserve parcels - small quantities and 'the pick of the bunch'! so to speak

r0se Thu 24-Mar-11 21:20:23

Ok quick 20 mins .. AOTEA - On a quick unscrew of the bottle it smells a little musty, it tastes quite strong .. much stronger than the Seifried one we had just tried, think I prefer the last one best.

Heidi well done, you have achieved so much.. All the best for 2011. Thanks so much for letting us share this experience through Mumsnet. I will go now and enjoy the rest of the wine. Best wishes for the future x

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:20:56

Norky, winemakers do add SO2 to preserve the wine, but it usuall fades away after a few weeks. These are VERY fresh so may still have a whiff

JosieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:21:00

Am tasting the Aotea as well, although am v angry didn't open it last night when we had garlic prawn pasta for dinner, as was v tempted at the time. Thought I should save it for tonight!
Have to say it's right up my street - crisp enough but with some fruity notes!
Cheers everyone! wine

Sold grin That sounds like a great deal. I usually pay more than that from the crappy wine from Co-op.

Lyndiloo2 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:21:15

Is this the wine tasting chat or am i missing something

DollyTwat Thu 24-Mar-11 21:21:57

I've been an angel for a few years and not only do you get some great wines, often at special offer prices (cheaper if you buy on the vine too), but I tend to forget I'm putting money into the account. Then I run out of wine, go onto the site and always have enough for a case which comes the next day. I've had some of the best wines from Naked Wines. Oh yes and the cashback!

Flossish Thu 24-Mar-11 21:22:10

I like how the wine is pale - I'm funny about yellowy wines. I have nothing to back this up with. blush

It is very nice and crisp with an ever so slight fizz, I like and after half a glass I already feel a little woozy! I may have to have a tad bit more.

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:22:19

Our Aotea is very vibrant and pungent which is what we come to expect from NZ Sauvs. It opens up to give ripe tropical characters alongside the typical fresh nettle, dried herb notes. On the palate it is more minerally and tropical than those which you may come across from Marlborough. Needless to say this wine is made exclusively from Estate grown fruit.

Lyndiloo2 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:22:53

Opening a bottle of Kimbao syrah - cabernet Franc.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:23:05

Happens to me too DollyTwat!

Guadalupe Thu 24-Mar-11 21:23:12

I think this tastes quite unusual. Really tropical, though maybe I've identified that after reading the guava. It reminds me of Um Bongo!

Reggiee Thu 24-Mar-11 21:23:33

Bonzo am liking the cat pee smell of this wine! I think it must be because I have cats grin

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:23:52

I'm sipping my wines slowly and swallowing them, having a bit of a sniff too.

Would I get a better taste if I sluped it or something?

I'm not going to spit it out whatever you say!

mum2supercharlie Thu 24-Mar-11 21:23:52

Results here are the Gewurztraminer bottle is looking emptier than the others so far

hutchav21uk Thu 24-Mar-11 21:24:15

def loving the gewurztraminer, lovely and smooth when it goes down your throat and a very pleasant aftertaste, the bottle is going down far too quickly!

BonzoDooDah Thu 24-Mar-11 21:24:35

I'm getting the dried herb notes as an aftertaste - almost sagey. Not tasted the nettles yet!

How cold would you usually chill the white to drink?

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:24:43

Reggiee

Bonzo am liking the cat pee smell of this wine! I think it must be because I have cats grin

What do the cats have to say Reggiee?

I just sniffed it again and now it smells like grapefruit. But I have nearly finished the bottle glass so ...

Lyndiloo2 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:24:58

Kimbao syrah - cabernet Franc
very deep red colour and very drinkable.

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 21:25:01

As a rule, are most whites generally best drunk soon after buying, whereas some reds can be kept to improve with age?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:25:04

If you've just joined us - a reminder of the order we're tasting in tonight:
Antoine Simoneau Sauvignon Blanc
Aotea Sauvignon Blanc (by Heidi)
Seifried Gewurtztraminer (Heidi)
Kimbao Cabernet Sauvignon Carmenere
Seifried Syrah (Heidi)
Kimbao Syrah Cabernet Franc

MmeLindt Thu 24-Mar-11 21:25:11

Oh, I want to live in UK and be an angel too.

mum2supercharlie Thu 24-Mar-11 21:25:33

Flossish......I know what you mean about the yellow wines!

I have that too!

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:25:54

BonzoDooDah

I'm getting the dried herb notes as an aftertaste - almost sagey. Not tasted the nettles yet!

How cold would you usually chill the white to drink?

The simple way to do it is usually
- out the whites into the fridge 30 minutes before you want to start
- put the reds ON the fridge the night before

MumOnMission Thu 24-Mar-11 21:25:55

I haven't been on a Mumsnest chat before but can I ask a stupid question - what is DH? Husband?!
Gewurztrammer is delicious I'm a convert to whites and would happily buy this... Not girlie, just refreshing and gorgeous :-)
(Yeah I have been drinking Co-op wine and it's crap compared to this)

5inthebed Thu 24-Mar-11 21:25:56

I've had my bottle of red opened for an hourish now. I'll be drinking the Seifried Syrah. It smells quite peppery, somewhat spicey. My mouth is watering just smelling it.

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:26:14

yes, very sharp Flossish - the wine has 'spritz' or a slight fizziness - this is simply some residual natural carbon dioxide from the fermentation remaining in the wine. This give the wine a lift / liveliness and zest. Typically youthful and early drinking wines may display spritziness like this.
And yes the wine is light in colour - it is not aged in oak or left for long periods so you do find often these younger wines are lighter in colour and display more freshness.

hutchav21uk Thu 24-Mar-11 21:26:16

when we next have a social gathering at work I will take a bottle of the gewurztraminer in and educate the younger generation and introduce them to this.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:26:18

Angel - what's that?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:27:08

Everyone ready to try Heidi's Seifried Gewurtztraminer?

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:27:10

NorkyButNice

As a rule, are most whites generally best drunk soon after buying, whereas some reds can be kept to improve with age?

That's right...exceptions to every rule, but super-fresh wines like these Sauvignons are best drunk while they are young (ie this summer!)

kittycat234 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:27:29

The NZ wine is fantastic Heidi, more of what I have been acustomed to (white).

@ Rowan I am a huge fan of South African wines, what would you recommend?

JosieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:27:35

Congrats Heidi, am really enjoying this! Flavour seems to get better as I'm sipping - even trying that slurpy wine-tasting thing that's supposed to make it all taste proper! <wine-tasting knowledge tails off sharply>

LeninGrad Thu 24-Mar-11 21:27:59

Dolly, I'm sold, will sort it out tomorrow and do that buying on the vine thing.

I often think a lot of wines taste better the next day, must open them before I want to drink them.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:28:27

IwishIwasmoreorganised

Angel - what's that?

Angels are our customers who get 33% off for supporting our winemakers - see earlier post, or click www.nakedwines.com/angels

Guadalupe Thu 24-Mar-11 21:28:34

I like this - can't taste nettle though

Reggiee Thu 24-Mar-11 21:28:37

The cats are merely pestering me to get them some more food. And dh is pestering me to top up his glass <sigh>. Can't he see I am in the middle of very serious discussion wine

DH does the naked wine £20 a month thing btw and recommends it to all.

terribletracey Thu 24-Mar-11 21:29:12

i must admit i was over the moon to "win" these 6 bottles of wine and have to say that I opened the KIMBAO CABERNET SAUVIGNON CARMENERE to celebrate. I absolutely loved it and am going to order some of this next week. It is probably the best wine i have ever had as i could drink it without adding lemonade, but adding lemonade made it lovely! I guess i am cheating being at a wine tasting forum when i always add lemonade to whatever i drink!

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 21:29:15

I've gone back to the Antoine what-his-name one while we wait for the Gewurtz and it's a lot gentler than the Aotea (which is a more interesting drink I think) - amazing how the same grape can provide such different tastes!

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:29:31

I agree with Rowan re serving temp of wines.... too many wines are overchilled particalarly in our part of the world. This makes the wines hard to 'see' and enjoy - they are too closed. Slightly shilled is ideal for whites ... you will find they continue to open up as you taste them revealing more and more. Likewise reds - not too cool, but definitely not too warm as this will display the alcohol / heat / tannins.... Of course food is very important also in your perception of any wine.

whiskersonkittens Thu 24-Mar-11 21:29:35

Crisp and fresh, not too heavy like French wines; I like it

5inthebed Thu 24-Mar-11 21:29:53

Not liking this one, it smelled a bit like vomit when I opened the bottle (sorry Heidi) blush. I'm not a huge fan of white wines anyway.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:29:55

kittycat234

The NZ wine is fantastic Heidi, more of what I have been acustomed to (white).

@ Rowan I am a huge fan of South African wines, what would you recommend?

My Favourites are the Arabella's, made by a man who looks and sounds like God!

www.nakedwines.com/search.htm?searchText=stephen&pageIndex=0&view=Winemakers&layout=list

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:30:00

Ooh, the Gewurtztraminer is great - interestingly not as powerful as some I've tried.

moregranny Thu 24-Mar-11 21:30:10

Heidi, I have just realised why my aunt moved to NZ, it must of been for the wine !!!!

mum2supercharlie Thu 24-Mar-11 21:30:18

Please can I ask a question about champagne? How long can that keep for? Someone once told me they can be kept like wine, but someone else told me that they are best consumed within a year of purchase?

Steery Thu 24-Mar-11 21:30:47

Found the Gewurztraminer a bit sweet to start with, but as we have progressed through the bottle have started to enjoy it. Thought this had a slight fizz to it at the start as well

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:30:58

5inthebed

Not liking this one, it smelled a bit like vomit when I opened the bottle (sorry Heidi) blush. I'm not a huge fan of white wines anyway.

Oh dear Heidi, was vomit one of the notes you were aiming for here?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:31:07

Sounds great - I'll take a closer look when I've finished doing serious wine tasting!!!

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 21:32:10

Honestly no judgy-pants, but the mind boggles at adding lemonade to Cabernet Sauvignon! Does it really taste nice?

I must experiment!

but not with good quality wine like this

LeninGrad Thu 24-Mar-11 21:32:33

I am drinking the Arabella Chenin Blanc 2010 now, really like it.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:33:06

mum2supercharlie

Please can I ask a question about champagne? How long can that keep for? Someone once told me they can be kept like wine, but someone else told me that they are best consumed within a year of purchase?

Champagnes DO keep very well, and often get better with age

The reason is that they are VERY acidic, which preserves them. and as they age, the acidity declines.

Personally...i never have the patience.

Oh, and I would go for a £8 Prosecco over a £16 Champagne any time

5inthebed Thu 24-Mar-11 21:33:18

My sistersuggested adding lemonade to white wine. I think that would just ruin the wine. I'm not a lush I promise

Lyndiloo2 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:33:19

Dont think I like the syrah Cabernet franc - its too heavy

knackeredmutha Thu 24-Mar-11 21:33:27

Same, I didn't 'get' the fizz on the gewurztraminer at first but actually it makes the wine fresher and not so heavy. Delicious.

I thought that said a man who looks and sounds like a God.

You're right he does look like God grin

SirBoobAlot Thu 24-Mar-11 21:33:37

Sorry for the late sign in! I confess to having started on the wine earlier this week, and have made some notes on them along the way - didn't want to miss anything wink I must say firstly that I am not a red wine girl, but did try them. Am not a convert, but they were as bad as I thought grin

I love love love the Gewurtztraminer. Officially the most amazing wine I have ever tried. Just wanted to say that before continuing with the rest of the talk grin

Guadalupe Thu 24-Mar-11 21:33:50

The gewurtz is very sweet and I don't normally like sweet wines but I really enjoyed this. Loved the floweryness.

I was very pleased to see it as I first tried it last summer on the isle of Harris and forgot what it was called.

Dh has declared it too sweet for him and the Aotea too fruity but he prefers reds anyway.

hutchav21uk Thu 24-Mar-11 21:33:54

have to agree that the gewurtz is getting better and better the longer the bottle has been opened for, hubby best be quick if he wants any more LOL, nice and light, not too heavy or sickly

Reggiee Thu 24-Mar-11 21:34:01

The Gewurtztraminer was fab. Sweeter than I expected and what I was used to, but a real quality white. Best wine I'd had in a long time.

DollyTwat Thu 24-Mar-11 21:34:02

kittycat the Arabella's have gone down very well in this house, in fact I've ordered more of that than anything else. I've also ended up letting friends take a bottle home because it's so nice

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 21:34:06

The Gewurtz is really good Heidi - you're onto a winner here!

How would this work as an alternative to a dessert wine?

mum2supercharlie Thu 24-Mar-11 21:34:17

Ahh thank you! Good tip too, I'll have to try that

Lyndiloo2 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:34:53

Ive had many a Arabella, very nice wine.
Im from South Africa originally so do have a bias over their wines...

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:35:04

Focus guys, only half way there!

So, Gewurztraminer..... gewurz means spice so look out for it, this wine is full of it. IT is powerful, heady and filled purfume.... loads of fragrance and appeal, quite exotic. You may pick rose petals and turkish delight - just gorgeous and appealing. Palate is likewise full and luscious with lots of flavours. You will note the higher residual sweetness in this wine (around 10-12 g/l) so it is an 'off dry' wine. This is a perfect match for spicy foods particularly Thai, though I enjoy it as an aperitif on its own to really focus on the wine.

Good to see you made it Booby grin

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:35:55

Lyndiloo2

Dont think I like the syrah Cabernet franc - its too heavy

It is a beast Lindyloo2....but if you were having that with BBQ'd shoulder of Lamb, with loads of garlic and rosemary.....?

mum2supercharlie Thu 24-Mar-11 21:37:06

Ooo we should have created a nibbles list to prepare in advance, to have alongside the wines. Turkish delight and Gewurztraminer sounds lovely.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:37:49

So Heidi this would have gone really well with the Vietnamese takeaway we had earlier tonight? What about cheese?

Guadalupe Thu 24-Mar-11 21:37:49

yes, I remember liking the gewurtz much more before my scallops arrived.

I love this wine. Sniffing for turkish delight now [well, in the empty bottle]

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:37:57

Without wanting to spare Heidi's blushes on the gewurtz.....

This was rated by Jancis Robinson, the doyenne of wine critics, as one of the best to come out of NZ

Lyndiloo2 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:38:02

hmm that sounds good.

terribletracey Thu 24-Mar-11 21:38:33

What is the naked wine £20 a month thing and how do you be an angel. I much prefer online ordering so you dont have lots of heavy things to carry! i always remember someone in sainsburys overfilling my carrier bag and it breaking and 2 bottles of wine breaking in the car park.
(bit off subject)

Flossish Thu 24-Mar-11 21:38:59

Jolly good about to hear about the champagne - we were given a bottle for xmas that I'm insisting we keep till after the baby arrives. The 'better with age' argument will only strengthen my case. grin

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 21:39:04

We tend to drink gewurz with Oriental food, but tasting this I think it's easily a quaffing no-food wine.

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:39:04

Not sure about this Gewurztraminer as a dessert wine.... really does not have the sweetness to pull off as a real dessert wine, though you could try it I guess. Suggest our Seifried Sweet Agnes Riesling which has been awarded as the top Sweet wine in the world multiple times over the years at Decanter International competition in London (Residual sweetness much higher than Gewurz here at 200g/litre so much more syrupy and concentrated.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:39:06

Good idea mum2supercharlie - love the idea of wine and nibbles pairing. Maybe next time?

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:39:18

Where and when....smoked chicken and sweet chilli salad, for a picnic, in the shade of a willow tree, next to a river.

Bringing anything back?

hutchav21uk Thu 24-Mar-11 21:39:35

jancis is right its fab!

I always seem to get a headache after drinkiing even one glass of red, someone suggested trying organic instead, have yet to try. Is there a reason why it would make a difference.? It's only red that does it hmm

SirBoobAlot Thu 24-Mar-11 21:40:08

The Aotea was also lovely. Fruity, sweet, with a sharp twist, really good balance. Went really well with the tomato based pasta dish I had the other night.

happydaze22 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:40:14

Love the Kimbao Cab Sav. Really lovelly deep red with a subtle taste of raspberries. Dont even remember the last time I've drank so much on a Thursday evening (hic). The trouble is this goes down so easily....a really smooth red.

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 21:41:04

Is the Riesling available on Naked Wines website?

Tipsy Eager clicking commences!

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:41:53

Moving on to the Kimbao Cabernet Sauvignon Carmenere...

<abandons pretence of spitting out wine and finishes glass>

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:41:56

terribletracey

What is the naked wine £20 a month thing and how do you be an angel. I much prefer online ordering so you dont have lots of heavy things to carry! i always remember someone in sainsburys overfilling my carrier bag and it breaking and 2 bottles of wine breaking in the car park.
(bit off subject)

Hi Tracey

The general idea is that, by helping small winemakers, you get better wines at a really good price.

The way it works is
- you pay in £20 a month (ie enough for one bottle of wine a week)
- which you can then use to buy any wines you like
- we deliver next day
- and you get 33% CashBack for your next order

We use the money you pay in to support the winemakers, so they can focus on making wine (rather than selling wine). And we dont have to waste money selling to you, so we can afford to give you 33% off.

Does that make sense?

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:42:45

NorkyButNice

Is the Riesling available on Naked Wines website?

Tipsy Eager clicking commences!

It is. All Heidi's wines are here www.nakedwines.com/winemakers/heidi-seifried.htm

Lobster Thu 24-Mar-11 21:42:47

My passion is red wine, I prefer white in summer so will keep back my tasting of them for a summer afternoon.
I couldn't wait till tonight to start tasting, alas I did open one bottle the day after receiving the case, well it was the weekend!.....
I went for the middle price red (sorry cant remember name & recycling went today), very fruity and quite dry, but with a meal was fab....quite potent...sent me a little tipsy, lovely, good nights sleep.
Tonight I opened the Kimbao Cabernet Sauignon (£8.99). Delicious, quite fruity again but not as dry, quite rounded and smooth, very easy to drink.
Thank you for this, I have really enjoyed finding out about the wines, aswell as drinking them! Roll on summer or just a warmer evening, so I can try the whites.

MumOnMission Thu 24-Mar-11 21:43:13

Agreed on the Kimbao - stunning. I have fragrance of ginger/cinnamon? A gorgeous red mmmm very moreish and mellow

LeninGrad Thu 24-Mar-11 21:43:25

Can you Link to these wines so I can add them to my basket, I will forget otherwise.

knackeredmutha Thu 24-Mar-11 21:43:27

Can I have a red yet?

JOLOJAMES Thu 24-Mar-11 21:43:34

I agree - the Kimbao is very smooth, very drinkable! Quite fruity.

Jackstini Thu 24-Mar-11 21:44:11

Loving the Gewurtz - the aromatic quality and fruitiness is so different to any other white wine. Really hard to find this variety in supermarkets too so I love that I can order such a good one by the case grin
Aso drank the Kimbao Syrah - gorgeous powerful spicy full flavour - very, very drinkable!!
Not so keen on the sauvingion but this type alwats seems a bit acidic to me....

Gilliflower Thu 24-Mar-11 21:44:18

I'm just doing a wine appreciation course at Perth College in Scotland so winning this wine was really appropriate. I've tasted three, as I am on my own at present. My thoughts so far - French Sauvignon Blanc. Nicely balanced wine but very light. Nice easy drinking wine. Whether I bought more would depend on cost. Kimbao Cabernet Sauvignnon/Carmenere 2009 fronm Chile - Nose was quite closed and didn't really open. Probably needs a bit longer. Taste- cassis fruits, some tanins, good length, Cab Sauv ggape improved taste of Carmenere. Siefried Nelson syrah 2008 - amazing wine. nose very peppery and taste also predominantly peppery. Wine quite unlike a shiraz. Light, almost elegant. Really interesting wine and definitely worth buying. would be interesting to taste in a few years

BonzoDooDah Thu 24-Mar-11 21:44:19

I'm still on the Aotea as only opening two bottles tonight (a white and a red).

I can taste the Aotea 'opening up' as you say Heidi - not tasted that before conciously. Now the gooseberry is almost gone and the tropical taste is coming in - star fruit and guava - DH says lychee and mango.

kittycat234 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:44:29

Luckily I am planning to party this weekend hehe, a friend is going to serve in Afganistan in a few weeks time so i think we will have a real celebration on this. And so far each wine has catered to someones taste

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:44:44

Yes, we were delighted with Jancis' plug on our Gewurz - she is a fan and we do have a strong and long reputation with handling this grape (back to 1973 - when my folk pioneered modern commercial grape growing and inwe production in the South Island of NZ). Recently we scooped a Gold and Trophy here in NZ for our various Gewurztraminers, plus 'best buy' Gewurz in our top selling NZ food / wine publication ('Cuisine' magazine.... all good and great to have this relatively unknown grape get some attention. It is a grogeous grape and we jsut love working with it

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 21:45:21

God I'm going to be over the edge of soberness by the end of this...

Wine number 4...

The tannins hit you straight away after drinking the whites! Big deep flavour, quite peppery I think?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:45:28

Not such a fan of this I'm afraid. I prefer lighter reds, gamay or beaujolais for example.

What foods would work best with a heavier red such as this?

happydaze22 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:45:49

Oops forgot to say OH prefers white wine and his favourite is Aotea...he said its a very fruity wink wine. Very refreshing and again really morish. Looks like hangovers for tomoz ...cheers all wine

5inthebed Thu 24-Mar-11 21:46:02

I had the Kimbao on Friday night last week with a chicken curry, it was divine. Very smooth for a red wine and quite fruity. Dh said it was like drinking jam, which is a compliment.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:46:08

To introduce the next wines, they are made by Constanza Schwaderer, and her husband Felipe

They were both serious winemakers at big shot wineries, winning medals for their owners

And they were desperate to go out on their own, but 3 kids kept Connie hard at work.

So we got 1,000 people to each chip in £50, and gave them the cash they needed to get going

And they have been a huge success...they won the TROPHY for the best Sauvignon in Chile with their very first vintage!

knackeredmutha Thu 24-Mar-11 21:46:15

I am loving the Kimbao Cab Sauv Carmenere, bramble fruits and spice in a glass. And named after the winemakers' dog! Sold...

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:46:45

For anyone following the tasting who hasn't yet managed to get hold of the wine, there are still some Mumsnet tasting cases on sale over at Naked wines with 37% off the case price.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:47:10

The first wine is the Cab Carmenere

Most people have heard of Cab...Carmenere is a lot less well known

It comes from France (like most international grape varieties), but really blossoms in Chile, where it gets 300 days of sunshine a year

And the combo is just super fruity...perfect red wine to drink on a summers day (assuming we have one!)

BTW...Kimbao is their black lab!

MumOnMission Thu 24-Mar-11 21:47:27

I am in love with the Gewurtztraminer and Chilean Cab Franc so far - they are each the best white/red I have tasted... How much are they?

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:48:08

CatherineHMumsnet

For anyone following the tasting who hasn't yet managed to get hold of the wine, there are still some Mumsnet tasting cases on sale over at Naked wines with 37% off the case price.

Here is the link www.nakedwines.com/mumsnetpack

Guadalupe Thu 24-Mar-11 21:48:41

Agree fruit and spice, and a woody bitterness after which was very pleasant

MumOnMission Thu 24-Mar-11 21:48:51

...also - LOVE the name Constanza - Heidi - maybe consider this as a name for one bubba?!

LeninGrad Thu 24-Mar-11 21:49:12

Next time you do a tasting case can you offer one with just whites please. Tastebuds shot post kids and am bfing and can't tolerate red any more.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:49:34

MumOnMission

I am in love with the Gewurtztraminer and Chilean Cab Franc so far - they are each the best white/red I have tasted... How much are they?

They are both around £11, BUT if you become an Angel, you get 33% Cashback.

Which makes them a lot more affordable

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:50:14

LeninGrad

Next time you do a tasting case can you offer one with just whites please. Tastebuds shot post kids and am bfing and can't tolerate red any more.

We will do LG.

kelandab Thu 24-Mar-11 21:50:16

Just sipping (is that the correct term??!) on some Cab Carmenere now! Must say, I am not much of a red wine drinker but this is quite 'refreshing'for a red wine....iyswim

whiskersonkittens Thu 24-Mar-11 21:50:18

I am loving this too - just poerfect for a red, fruity and rich without being too heavy.

Great to see it coming fomr an independent wine grower

I have been surfing the naked wines site and I think I am hooked ...

LeninGrad Thu 24-Mar-11 21:50:21

How come you've got the Gewurz in the case but not to buy individually? This happened when I wanted just the whites for this too.

busymum83 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:50:21

Sorry about being massively late - had an issue with the account!

Good to see we're on the Kimbao cab, which I have loved. I'm so glad someone else mentioned raspberries, as there was a definite hint of that.

I'm clearly not an expert, but I also found this one to be sweeter and depper than the other reds in the box. Definitely my favourite of the reds.

SirBoobAlot Thu 24-Mar-11 21:50:31

Question whilst there are some wine gurus on here: I tend to stick with what I know when it comes to wine (one of the reasons I wanted to join the wine club, to know more!) which is very little. I play safe when ordering wine, though will drink whatever if I'm at someone elses house. Tend to go down the Zinfandel route, or a Pinot Blush. Any white, rose or maybe even easy-going reds that people would kindly suggest?

MumOnMission Thu 24-Mar-11 21:50:40

Oooh cool - well worth it... and I don't usually spend much on wine but will do for these...

kittycat234 Thu 24-Mar-11 21:50:49

Unfortunately, we already tasted these, one at dinner tonight - cab franc went really well with our steak although I am not a fan of reds I could appreciate it for that.

The carmenere was a HUGE hit and a definate winner on behalf of brother in law and dh

Guadalupe Thu 24-Mar-11 21:51:20

This reminds me of raspberry ruffles.

BonzoDooDah Thu 24-Mar-11 21:52:19

What a great story about the Schwaderers. Good luck to them!

I opened this red (Cab SAv CAm) wine as I'd never heard of Carmenere. It is rather dry on first taste - I'm not getting a great hit on first glugging - but it has a fruity aftertaste.

I usually drink Shiraz if it's to be red and this is not as 'deep' tasting. I'm hoping it will grow on me.

What is this best to drink with?

kelandab Thu 24-Mar-11 21:52:25

Hubby finshed the bottle of Kimbao Syrah tonight with the spag bol we had for dinner...he seemed to be enjoying it!

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:52:42

err, will add it to our list... big decisions these baby names! We are making some 'bubbles' true Champagne style for the first time this year on the back of my brother andhis wife's trip to Champagne last vintage to work wiht family friends who own a small Champagne house there.... long and theshort of it is that we are making a Rose and Blanc de Blanc this year in honour of the third generation, so we need good baby names to grace the label in 3-5 years time when the wines are released!

MumOnMission Thu 24-Mar-11 21:52:51

please will someone tell me what DH is?!?!

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:53:14

IwishIwasmoreorganised

Not such a fan of this I'm afraid. I prefer lighter reds, gamay or beaujolais for example.

What foods would work best with a heavier red such as this?

Red wine has tannin in it (the same stuff that makes tea bittter)

Just like you add milk to tea to fix that, if you drink red wine with meat, the protein and the tannin bond and combine to come up with a taste that is better than either on its own

With a big powerful wine like this, you need meet with a LOT of flavour...a roast rib of beef for example?

confuddledDOTcom Thu 24-Mar-11 21:53:22

I've had one glass of one of the doggy ones tonight, it's lasted all night and I feel a little warm lol

I had the other one at the weekend.

Both are very nice! A little too warm to give a proper review lol I'd have tried more but being pregnant and in sole charge of two children I didn't get the chance. If they're all this good though I think I'll be happy for awhile!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 21:54:17

Dear Husband

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:55:11

Can't believe how quickly the hour has flown past. Best be moving on to the next wine - and Heidi's last in this tasting - the Seifried Syrah.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:55:16

IwishIwasmoreorganised

Dear Husband

MumOnMission

please will someone tell me what DH is?!?!

Oh C'mon, I worked that out and I am one!

whiskersonkittens Thu 24-Mar-11 21:55:19

LOL I drink black tea which probably explains why I like this red ...

It went well with my lamb curry

BonzoDooDah Thu 24-Mar-11 21:55:22

MumonaMission DH= Dear Husband here is a list of the common acronyms used on MN! grin

terribletracey Thu 24-Mar-11 21:55:53

5 minutes to last orders!

moregranny Thu 24-Mar-11 21:56:04

DH is dear husband, just to be polite, and Heidi I think Grace is a lovely name for a baby and a champagne !

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:56:13

and on to the Seifried SYRAH.... we prefer to call it syrah rather than Shiraz as we are a 'cool climate' here in NZ, vs Australia which produces warmer climate shiraz - jammier, more tannic, bigger powerful and often more alcoholic wines. Syrah from NZ is more delicate, spicy, elegant...

terribletracey Thu 24-Mar-11 21:56:38

always thought DH was darling husband, OH other half, DD darling daughter

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:57:46

SirBoobAlot

Question whilst there are some wine gurus on here: I tend to stick with what I know when it comes to wine (one of the reasons I wanted to join the wine club, to know more!) which is very little. I play safe when ordering wine, though will drink whatever if I'm at someone elses house. Tend to go down the Zinfandel route, or a Pinot Blush. Any white, rose or maybe even easy-going reds that people would kindly suggest?

If you like Rose, and you like it juicy and crisp, then this is the wine for you

www.nakedwines.com/wines/castillo-de-tafalla-rosado-2010.htm

Guadalupe Thu 24-Mar-11 21:58:09

Dh has just mentioned that we live about 15 mins walk from Naked wines.

I had no idea!

Could have strolled down for the tasting.

MumOnMission Thu 24-Mar-11 21:58:23

Thank you ladies! How about Rosi()e/ Bianca/ Ruby?! Well two of the three?!
All these reds are beautiful, none of that horrible burnt rubber aftertaste you can get from very cheap/strong reds..

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 21:59:05

We make only very limited quantities of our Syrah but it does very well out in the market. We are pleased to send small quantities to you good folk in the UK... it is nice to offer a NZ Syrah which really is so different from the Australian versions of the same grapes which you are probably more familiar with - these are very big..

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 21:59:32

I can really taste the cracked pepper mentioned on the label for the Syrah

Just started on the Seifried Syrah and it's lovely. Almost has fizz to it. Really refreshing for a red.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:59:58

Guadalupe

Dh has just mentioned that we live about 15 mins walk from Naked wines.

I had no idea!

Could have strolled down for the tasting.

Pop in tomorrow about 5pm...we always taste all the samples that came in this week. You'd be very welcome

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 22:00:15

Wow wow wow. This is the best wine so far by miles.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 22:00:46

Much prefer this one.

Smells ever so slightly spicy, but is lighter and more fruity. Lovely

whiskersonkittens Thu 24-Mar-11 22:00:53

Can I offer the name Maisie for a baby / champagne

our kitten's name - or as ds calls her (we live in Bristol) Hazel Maise(l)

busymum83 Thu 24-Mar-11 22:00:53

I enjoyed the Seifried and found it a delicious, spicy flavour, but it also felt a little sharp at the back of the tongue.. does that make sense? Sharper than the other reds, at least.

moregranny Thu 24-Mar-11 22:00:59

We have tried the Syrah and I found the pepper a bit overwhelming.

mmsparkle Thu 24-Mar-11 22:01:31

Help, just about made it on here with minutes to spare, after crazy busy shift at work...some fast tasting coming up ;-)

Just about to taste the Kimbao Cabernet Sauv. Mmm, easy going down. Smooth! Hubby says ' quite pungent' and 'strong / bold' 'a meaty wine'.

I may have lost the eloquence I had earlier in the week...

I think our earlier tasting notes on Aotea Sauv blanc were :
smells fruity, gooseberry evident.
flavourful but too dry for my taste.
minimal aftertaste.

MmeLindt Thu 24-Mar-11 22:01:35

Ok. Have just ordered a case for delivery to my parents. I have some feedback about technical stuff from your website, but won't clog this thread up with it. Can I email someone?

knackeredmutha Thu 24-Mar-11 22:01:50

Heidi, really lovely Syrah...smooth as a baby's bum.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 22:01:55

Even getting a bit of pepper now - my taste buds must be waking up!

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 22:02:30

mmsparkle - not to worry, we've still got one more wine to go...is it rushing things to move on to the last wine, the Kimbao Syrah Cabernet Franc?

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 22:03:10

busymum83

I enjoyed the Seifried and found it a delicious, spicy flavour, but it also felt a little sharp at the back of the tongue.. does that make sense? Sharper than the other reds, at least.

You're right it is. Like Heidi says it comes from a cooler climate, so it has a bit more acidity.

Which SOUNDS like not such a good thing, BUT imagine you were eating a fatty lamb chop, all of a sudden that acidity cuts through the fat, leaving your taste buds nice and clean to taste the lamb. Bingo.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 22:03:48

MmeLindt

Ok. Have just ordered a case for delivery to my parents. I have some feedback about technical stuff from your website, but won't clog this thread up with it. Can I email someone?

yes please email me at rowan@nakedwines.com, thanks

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 22:03:50

Yes, I always think white pepper are characteristic of cool climate Syrah.... nice spice notes but not too over the top. Fruit is berry-like but not jammy and overcooked / stewed which can be unappealing. Subtle balanced oak sits alongside the bright fruit to support the palate.

JOLOJAMES Thu 24-Mar-11 22:04:12

I tried the Syrah with steak at the weekend. i found it quite smoky, but could taste berries. Very nice, but think i prefer today's Kimbao.

MumOnMission Thu 24-Mar-11 22:04:15

Haven't got a juicy lamb chop to hand but this wine is getting it on with me Nutella on toast - a winning combo

mmsparkle Thu 24-Mar-11 22:04:25

Unfortunately unable to taste all the wines in time for tonight as I'm pregnant, and wasn't about to let DH loose without me ;-)

Many thanks to Mumsnet for the wines, look forward to tasting them over the next couple of weeks!

really enjoying Kimbao cab sauv. Didn't expect to like so much as usually a merlot / shiraz kind of girl.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 22:04:35

knackeredmutha

Heidi, really lovely Syrah...smooth as a baby's bum.

You should know!

knackeredmutha Thu 24-Mar-11 22:05:04

I need a blanket, sofa and roaring fire for this last one. A beast (good beast).

Not as keen on this one, a bit too heavy for me.

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 22:05:41

Both of the Seifried wines I wanted are out of stock!

Will the Gewurz and Syrah be back in stock at any point of will we have to wait until the next vintage?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 22:06:25

We're over the hour, but hopefully Rowan and Heidi will be able to stay on a bit until we've finished this last wine

<have always wanted to preside over a lock-in>

MumOnMission Thu 24-Mar-11 22:06:54

Beddibies soon - thank you so much for this, it has been a real bottle eye-opener :-)

gaia Thu 24-Mar-11 22:06:59

Agree with those who liked the syrah, lovely and peppery. Kimbao seems a little lighter and fruitier, am drinking it now.

mmsparkle Thu 24-Mar-11 22:07:01

CatherineHMumsnet - thank you, but seems wasteful to open another bottle just to try half a glass... then leave them both to oxidise... somehow wine is never as nice the next day!

happydaze22 Thu 24-Mar-11 22:07:10

Have already finished this one but agree totally with the peppery taste. Another smooth warming wine. lovely

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 22:07:11

Not able to try this last one.

DH has sent it in for the school raffle! Hope somebody likes it!

knackeredmutha Thu 24-Mar-11 22:07:48

Do we get pork scratchings on the house? You did say lock-in...

Fillybuster Thu 24-Mar-11 22:08:19

Sorry I couldn't post sooner, but DH and I have been working our way through the Aotea whilst discussing house moves, job moves and general massive life changes. We are both in full agreement on one thing: this wine totally rocks!

Thank you...we will definitely be buying this again

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 22:09:03

OK, so onto the Kimbao Syrah Cab Franc

Obviously a blend of Syrah (like Heidi's) and Cab Franc

Cab Franc is another native French variety which in France produces thin, uninteresting, green wines. transplanted to Chile, and given 300 days of sunshine a year, it becomes a beast.

If you compare this to Heidi's it is a great example of warm climate vs cool climate.

The more sun the grapes get, the more flavours and the more sugar (which in turn means more alcohol, not sweeter wine)

This is definitely a BBQ wine. the Smokey flavour in the wine and the meat will mingle and complement

The only thing its not good for is typing....

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 22:09:13

knackeredmutha - they're just behind the jar of pickled eggs

BonzoDooDah Thu 24-Mar-11 22:09:27

He did what??? shock You send the crappy liebfruamuck (that someone left after a party) to the school raffle!! Not one the best wines on the tasting list! [Not that I've tasted it]

busymum83 Thu 24-Mar-11 22:09:33

I will definitely be ordering another box of these.

My biggest eye opener in recent times is how choosing wines based on pure economy is a terrible waste of tastebuds. Pay a little more and the taste difference more than outweighs the relatively minor increase.

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 22:10:11

mmsparkle

CatherineHMumsnet - thank you, but seems wasteful to open another bottle just to try half a glass... then leave them both to oxidise... somehow wine is never as nice the next day!

This wine will almost certainly taste better TOMORROW....so dont panic about not finishing it tonight. If you dont want to that is!

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 22:10:16

Great tasting Catherine and Rowan.... all very interesting wines and feedback. Remember preception may be differnt wiht food, particularly some of the bigger reds which can be harder going tasting them on their own.

Syrah and Gewurz out of stock... plenty here at the winery! Not sure of the UK availability - Rowan?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 22:11:02

He thought I didn't like reds!

I do prefer white on the whole but still........!

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 22:11:21

busymum83

I will definitely be ordering another box of these.

My biggest eye opener in recent times is how choosing wines based on pure economy is a terrible waste of tastebuds. Pay a little more and the taste difference more than outweighs the relatively minor increase.

When you consider that in a £4 bottle of wine, almost £3 is taxes....it doesnt leave a lot of money to spend on wine!

knackeredmutha Thu 24-Mar-11 22:12:00

It's been brilliant, thank you. We'll work our way through the rest of the bottles over the next few days. My faves: Gewurz and the Syrah. Good luck Heidi x

busymum83 Thu 24-Mar-11 22:12:12

Ah, God bless HM Govt...

BonzoDooDah Thu 24-Mar-11 22:12:19

How much £££ tax!! How do you vitners make a living?

JOLOJAMES Thu 24-Mar-11 22:12:25

The Kimbao has been my bottle for this evening (not quite a whole one to myself mind!) and I do think it seems more alcoholic than my usual Australian merlot .... I am having to correct my typing more than usual for grin

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 22:12:45

HeidiSeifried

Great tasting Catherine and Rowan.... all very interesting wines and feedback. Remember preception may be differnt wiht food, particularly some of the bigger reds which can be harder going tasting them on their own.

Syrah and Gewurz out of stock... plenty here at the winery! Not sure of the UK availability - Rowan?

We've put all our UK stock into the mumsnet cases, so we dont run out too soon. But looks like we need to get some more in!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Mar-11 22:13:10

I agree - great way to spend an hour. Thank you.

Maybe a Friday would be better next time - no work the next day!

hutchav21uk Thu 24-Mar-11 22:13:16

been brill discussion good luck heidi and look forward to the next meeting

"When you consider that in a £4 bottle of wine, almost £3 is taxes....it doesnt leave a lot of money to spend on wine!"

That much?! shock

BonzoDooDah Thu 24-Mar-11 22:13:30

Thank you Heidi, Rowan and MN. Lovely wine and learnt lots too.

moregranny Thu 24-Mar-11 22:13:31

Thank you,Catherine,Rowan and Heidi for the invitation this evening, will definately be ordering more wine from Naked wine. Good luck Hiedi with the new baby, x

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 22:13:40

thanks, knackermutha - delighted to know how much you enjoyed the wines! enjoy what remains of them! Cheers!

Guadalupe Thu 24-Mar-11 22:13:45

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 21:59:58

Pop in tomorrow about 5pm...we always taste all the samples that came in this week. You'd be very welcome

Thanks! Will try and meet dh after work.

mmsparkle Thu 24-Mar-11 22:13:51

Loving the idea of an online lock-in!
Keep it up, we may get to the last bottle yet...
Is it possible to buy case of one particular wine? haven't checked website yet. How long does discount apply for?

DH asks, what are the bumps near the base of the bottle for?

terribletracey Thu 24-Mar-11 22:14:22

as soon as this discussion is over im gonna order some wine and hope it arrives when OH is out as he took delivery of my winnings!"!

Guadalupe Thu 24-Mar-11 22:15:12

Dh prefers this Kimbao, I am finding it a bit heavy after the fruity whites. Maybe I need some meat.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 22:15:16

Like to say a huge thank-you to Heidi for coming in from the vineyard to talk to us (keep us posted on the baby news) and to Rowan for talking us through tonight's wines. Hope everyone's had a lovely - if slightly squiffy time - let's do this again? Chin-chin. wine

JOLOJAMES Thu 24-Mar-11 22:16:00

Thanks MN for organising this evening - I feel I've learned loads, not least to be more adventourous in by wine drinking. Am looking forward to trying my whites now. Good luck Heidi, and thanks Rowan too.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 24-Mar-11 22:16:28

For everyone asking, there are apparently still a few cases of the wines tasted tonight here http://www.nakedwines.com/mumsnetpack but I'm not sure how much longer they'll be in stock.

Well it's been a lovely end to the stressful day. Will most definitely be buying some over the weekend. A real eye opener.

Thank you Rowan and Heidi smile

Good luck with the baby Heidi, can't wait to find out which name you decide on grin

whiskersonkittens Thu 24-Mar-11 22:16:40

Thank you Heidi, Rowan and Mumsnet for organising this.

The 2 wines I tasted are great and I am looking forward to trying the rest over the next week (dh is away grin) then sign up to be an angel

mmsparkle Thu 24-Mar-11 22:16:41

Thank you to all, perhaps we will open the next wine tonight then!
Why will it taste better tomorrow? Aeration? I thought oxidation was a bad thing... is this the allowing wine to breathe thing?

Note deterioration in grammar almost certainly the wine's fault!

busymum83 Thu 24-Mar-11 22:16:52

Thank you Rowan and Heidi, it's a pleasure to hear what experts have to say and think about these wines, and how even if I don't quite know how to say it properly, my views on a couple of them are not as left-field as I think!

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 22:17:01

mmsparkle

Loving the idea of an online lock-in!
Keep it up, we may get to the last bottle yet...
Is it possible to buy case of one particular wine? haven't checked website yet. How long does discount apply for?

DH asks, what are the bumps near the base of the bottle for?

You can buy individual wines, but it seems the mumsnetters have cleaned us out of one or two!

Tell DH that they are to stop men from dropping the bottle after a few too many. It may even be true....

mmsparkle Thu 24-Mar-11 22:17:16

PS Good luck Heidi! Enjoy parenthood!

LeninGrad Thu 24-Mar-11 22:17:19

Thank you all, please make some individual bottles available. Thanks!

MmeLindt Thu 24-Mar-11 22:17:27

Thanks, Rowan. Have emailed.

And I just remembered that DH will be in Scotland at Easter so can bring the wine back with him. Hurrah.

Reggiee Thu 24-Mar-11 22:18:24

Thanks all for a lovely hour. Hic....wine

Steery Thu 24-Mar-11 22:18:30

It's been great. I have tried some different wines that I wouldn't have thought of trying before.wine

HeidiSeifried Thu 24-Mar-11 22:18:36

I best sign off and get back to our grapes and ferments.... such a busy but exciting time of year for any winemaker! The aromas in the winery are just magic with all our ferments bubbling away!

Great to see so many people chipping into the tasting and offering feedback -great to hear your comments. Look forward to doing another tasting with you sometime down the track.

Enjoy the rest of the wines!

All the best
Heidi

mmsparkle Thu 24-Mar-11 22:18:58

Ha ha, he didn't believe that and said it's my fault for not describing bumps properly.... enough wine there then!

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 22:19:27

mmsparkle

Thank you to all, perhaps we will open the next wine tonight then!
Why will it taste better tomorrow? Aeration? I thought oxidation was a bad thing... is this the allowing wine to breathe thing?

Note deterioration in grammar almost certainly the wine's fault!

Oxidation is bad in white wines (as a rule) because the flavours are more delicate

It can be a good thing in red wines, as they can benefit from ageing

But the reason to open before you taste is that usually the wines have come out of the fridge, are too cold and just need to warm up and breathe a little.

The Syrah Cab is such a huge beast that it could really do with another year or two in bottle

NorkyButNice Thu 24-Mar-11 22:20:50

Thanks - it's been brilliant!

Really enjoyed it, let us know when the next one is!

SirBoobAlot Thu 24-Mar-11 22:20:55

I never knew about letting whites breathe before this thread, shall be taking note.

And thank you for the wine recommendation - DP will be getting several links as suggestions for mothers day grin

RowanNakedWines Thu 24-Mar-11 22:21:50

Thank you all for a great tasting, and thank you Heidi for stepping away from the harvest.

Good fun!

Rowan

busymum83 Thu 24-Mar-11 22:22:09

Just ordered another taster pack and am now an angel! This pack has been an eye opener. Amusingly enough, I enjoy the reds and the DH enjoys the whites; everyone's a winner!

kittycat234 Thu 24-Mar-11 22:23:35

Been lots of fun. Think I am a convert

DollyTwat Thu 24-Mar-11 22:24:09

I love your wines and have been an angel for a few years, and whilst I'm happy to explain to my friends on twitter how it works, could you explain a bit better to people? The commitment of £20 a month is worrying some.

I'm not sure the concept is clear enough.
I think of it as getting top notch wines at a good price because I don't pay for the advertising and I support the vineyards directly

MrsFogi Thu 24-Mar-11 22:27:35

Aaaah I can't believe this is over - I hadn't realised it finished at 10. Dh and I have just finished dinner and our lovely bottle of wine.

terribletracey Thu 24-Mar-11 22:28:15

i think it is still on!

terribletracey Thu 24-Mar-11 22:38:26

oh it must be finished now! bye everyone

SirBoobAlot Thu 24-Mar-11 22:42:12

I'm still drinking Tracey, if it makes you feel any better grin

dawntigga Fri 25-Mar-11 05:34:25

I missed this due to family ishoos.

SorrtTiggaxx

LottisDad Fri 25-Mar-11 09:03:57

Apologies - I had a couple of glasses last night & was alseep before 9pm!

Was going to pass comment on the three that had been tried (& enjoyed):

Seifried Nelson 2008 - good Syrah, warm on the mouth - but not full of deep flavours, no tannins. I normally drink Shiraz from Down Under - hence thought this was not interesting enough

Aotea Nelson 2010 - a regular Savignon Blanc if anything a bit too syrup like. I normally have a cold Chardonnay

Seifried Nelson 2009 - a much better Gewurztraniner that I was expecting, am not keen on sweet wines normally, but this had a great nose & was not loaded with sugar

Otherwise our box only had the Kimbau from Chile & the Touraine from France in - although it was well sealed there was not a sixth wine...

Jux Sat 26-Mar-11 21:12:23

Hi! Better late than never! I'm off the painkillers and was going to wait for Sunday lunch before opening anything, but after dh went out this evening a couple of friends turned up on their way to somewhere or other, and I couldn't resist it.

So, we've had the Carmenere. This is lovely, fruity, rich. Delicious. We had it on its own and I'm a bit woozy now having had no head at all since dd was born 11 years ago.

Thank you. Slurp.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Mar-11 15:54:01

... and the winners of the Champagne are MmeLindt, LeninGrad and TrillianAstra. Congratulations, look in your inbox.

MikeRotch Tue 29-Mar-11 15:55:06

on what basis was this awarded? hmm

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Mar-11 16:44:10

On the basis that you lose wink [kidding, we did it like we always do - random selection].

MikeRotch Tue 29-Mar-11 22:28:19

Hmm