Neighbour complaining about my children's noise playing in the garden

(173 Posts)
IlanaK Wed 19-May-10 21:10:54

We just moved into a garden flat after not having a garden for most of my children's lives. We have had landscape gardener's in for two weeks and they are now mostly finished transforming the garden. The garden is over 100ft and we have divided it into areas. There is a bark chipped area near the back (though not right at the back) where we have put the trampoline. At the back of our garden is the garden to another house which is side on to ours (so you come out of our place, turn right and right again onto a side road and theirs is the first house so it runs perpendicular to our garden if that makes sense). Their garden is quite small and they have an extension that is not that far from the boundary between our gardens.

Today the man that lives there came to complain about the noise my children were making. He works from home in the extension and says they are too noisy on the trampoline and he can't hear to make phone calls.

My kids are aged almost 9, almost 6 and almost 2. They are all boys and we moved to this place specifically for the garden space. I home school my children so they are in the garden during the day on and off between about 9am and 5pm. The last three days we have had friends around so it has been noisier than usual. I did explain all this to the man. He said he thought we were running a nursery here! I assured him I was not!

So,he wants us to move the trampoline. He says that we only put it at the back of the garden to keep the noise away from our house (NOT TRUE!). I am unwilling to move it as we have specifically safety surfaced that area for it. I asked if there were specific times of day that he would prefer them not to be playing there - he said no as he works all day. He also mentioned his need to relax in his garden at the weekend.

So, what would you do? Would you move the trampoline? WOuld you ask your kids to be quiet when they are out there? Or would you ignore him?

tsumeisienna Mon 22-Jul-13 14:09:20

I just had new neighbours move in and it's made my working from home a living hell! At the moment, it's not the kids as they are still small it's their father who likes to talk at the top of his voice! I have moved my working space/desk from the dining room to the living room and now to the upstairs bedroom that faces away from my back garden but still can't escape his constant chattering. My concern is that if the father is so inconsiderate, what will the children be like when they grow up?!!!

amandafavors2 Mon 19-Aug-13 04:06:58

Just some points of views from another homeschool mom:
#1 My children are only allowed outside after they have done all their school work for the day. This usually at least takes til lunch if not longer.
#2 They have to do their chores before outside time.
#3 When outside: No screaming unless someone is hurt, bleeding, or dyeing.
We try to not send them out to much earlier than a regular school child would be outside. This way others around know approximately what times are going to be more noisy.
As for blockage of noises there are special materials that can go between your yard & theirs to block the noise. Suggest this to your neighbours if you hours of play are still not good for them. Your children deserve to play. The materials are sold online for sure. I know because we had them for a haunted house we worked to block the screaming from the neighborhood.

FanjoForTheMammaries Mon 19-Aug-13 04:31:44

Yes . suggest this to neighbours 3 years after they complained wink

bloodfuyung Sat 05-Apr-14 13:09:21

This is typical of the sort of selfish attitude of a lot of people nowadays. "should I just ignore him" !!! Don't you think this man has a right to enjoy his garden, just as your kids and you are allowed to enjoy yours?

Your kids should be made to understand that they have to show consideration for those around them. Of course, kids are loud sometimes, and they have to play. But they can be taught to respect the space of others, too. You, as a parent,are responsible for communicating with them.

They are your children, so the noise doesn't bother you. But it is clearly a severe nuisance for this man. Don't be so selfish.

sarahquilt Sat 05-Apr-14 14:02:49

I would suggest that you structure the day a little like a school day with specific play times. They could have half an hour in the mid morning and then an hour or so later in the afternoon. If I were the man I'd be pretty pissed off if it were a situation that noisy kids might come out any time of day and disrupt my work. I think it's only reasonable to compromise.

littlewhitebag Sun 06-Apr-14 11:27:38

This thread is from 2010 folks.

Viviennemary Sun 06-Apr-14 11:32:48

Noisy neighbours are a bit of a nightmare for everyone. Whether it's constant DIY, constantly barking dogs, loud music or screaming children. We should try and be cosiderate of our neighbours and reach a compromise.

Viviennemary Sun 06-Apr-14 12:07:25

I didn't realise.

HappydaysArehere Tue 22-Apr-14 23:44:59

If you are home educating, surely they are only on the trampoline for periods equal to play times at school. I would expect you to have a programme of various educational activities and studies. The two school age children will be involved with writing, reading, maths,geography, history which in turn would involve outings etc. once you have settled into your new home then I would expect these to resume and the chances to cause any nuisance be reduced.

TheZeeTeam Tue 22-Apr-14 23:59:24

See, this is why we don't live in the UK. Everyone is so on top of each other, the slightest thing sends you all barmy!! grin

We have a no shrieking rule on the trampoline, regardless, as I don't like the noise of shrieking kids (playing happily kids noise is something different altogether). They get 2 strikes and they're off. I would never stop my kids going outside because of the neighbours though.

Legologgo Wed 23-Apr-14 00:09:19

My parents had this. Neighbours loved trampoline so they wre right next to their house!

Legologgo Wed 23-Apr-14 00:09:25

Moved.

NurseyWursey Wed 23-Apr-14 00:14:45

I would tell the kids to be quieter then ignore him. If he wants silence perhaps working from home, a residential area, isn't the place.

HappydaysArehere Wed 23-Apr-14 08:55:42

Go on, be a good neighbour and move the trampoline nearer to the house. It would be safer for the kids anyway and you can smile at your neighbour and shine your halo with gusto. Be happy in your new home and cultivate good relationships around you. However, the garden is for children and their health and enjoyment. That does come first and they can't be bouncing all day! We have children next door and we love it, kid like noise, balls over the fence which they are free to come around to collect at any time. It gives us pleasure. Next to them are children with a trampoline and you could always hear their excitement but it would never bother us. Anyway, they appear to have grown out of it. Probably texting more these days!

Administration Fri 09-May-14 18:16:21

Just sick of parents that dont teach kids to consider neighbors!

The FIRST thing we learnt as kids was not to scream and consider neighbors but i read mums complaints about neighbors asking for a bit of consideration.

Nobody should have the right to effect their neighbors peace and quiet.

We used to have fun and play in your back yard but we were taught to do so but not to make ourselves loud mouth inconsiderate little monsters.

We also had new neighbors move in about 7 years ago. The daughter married but moved in with her husband to their parents and have bred and bred - not working of course-- and made our lives hell on earth.

I also used to work from home as well as take in students but i had to stop both.

One by one the students told me they couldn't live here because they couldn't stand the screaming brats next door. I also had a very dear friend that had lived here for ten years prior who left for the same reason.

I miss my students - and especially my friend all because of rude inconsiderate parents. I cant use my yard or open a window- ever.

My friend was on medication for her nerves for a year before she left and its effected my health too.

Many people called all authorities - including child saftey but nothing was done.

But wait for it! the grandmother has brought into a business called my midwife which is partly bulk billed!

Now this company reckon they educate people on how to raise children.

Couldn't think of a more unsuitable person and the federal government and QLD Minister of child saftey need to wake up.

Its time councils ruled in bi laws against inconsiderate parents allowing their kids to run feral.

Its not the kids fault - its the uneducated selfish mothers .

Purpleroxy Fri 09-May-14 18:22:10

I would not move the trampoline but I would stand and supervise whilst they use it. Would definitely talk to them about not making noise in the garden and if they do, they need to be taken straight inside. My dc are 6 and 8 so similar ages to your bigger 2 and I have taught them that they can't go in the garden too early (not before 9am at weekends) and that they must not disturb the neighbours in any way. No loud mouths, no looking over fences (if on play equipment).

Administration Fri 09-May-14 18:42:02

tsumeisienna,

I feel for you but am selfish enough to be glad i saw your comment. I know you will understand because your going through the same torture.

Yes we too have the ever shouting voices-- so right you are by saying what will the kids grow up like. They dont talk- they shout and especially the eldest kid.

The shouting is constant and i also moved my room three times but there is never any peace .

The swearing and banging doors amongst the constant screaming on top is unbearable.

Yeh my mid wife company sure have classy people i dont think. Dont forget guys this company is supposed to be teaching others on how to raise children.

They moved back in around 6 months ago after leaving for s short period.

Shes having another one! living with her parents and useless husband who cant even keep a roof over their heads but are just having more and more children.

Its a small house - yet they all jam in co existing living on top of each other.

I really resent anybody who thinks they have the right to disturb their neighbors . Time for governments to get cracking on legislation. I am pre guessing some other poster will tel me to move!

Dont bother and its not me-- or us its them. Also if you cant teach kids manners i suggest the government remove them and stop you breeding anymore.

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 09-May-14 18:45:01

I'd ignore the miserable sod.

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 09-May-14 18:46:42

Oh, just seen its a zombie thread.

Administration Fri 09-May-14 18:50:51

Purpleroxy

nice to know we still have good parents who teach their children to grow up to be good adults.
i just found this thread at 2am pacing with a headache unable to sleep because of the constant stress of the noise from next door.

thankyou for being a good mum and neighbor

Suzanne459 Sat 28-Jun-14 15:46:21

You should not only move the trampoline, but I think the children should be told to keep the noise down so the man can get his work done. Is there not a park nearby where the children can play during office hours. Then they can use the trampoline at the weekends. It's good to be neighborly. Other people's children can be extremely annoying!

Suzanne459 Sat 28-Jun-14 15:47:40

Totally agree.

This thread is 4 years old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now