would you go back to work with a broken toe

(11 Posts)
pickyvic Sun 23-Aug-09 17:23:25

i fell over last week and chipped a bone in my big toe,

my toe was really swollen and bruised but doctor at hospital said leave it strapped up for 5 days and take paracetamol etc.

ive done that and taken badages off today - i can just about get a sandal on but its still sore, swollen and bruised but i can hobble.(slowly!)

im due back to work tomorrow. My place of work is a train journey away and i have a 10 - 15 min walk at the other end. i also work alone - it will be fine tomorrow as i can sit down but on Tuesday ill be dealing with clients and will likely be on the go all morning. ive told my boss ill be back tomorrow - im still on my probationary period although ive worked there for 9 months now (he is keeping me on probation for a year) so really dont want to rock the boat or give him any reason to get rid of me.
its difficult because i really dont like my job and i am finding it very easy to excuse myself for not going back - but i think if i dont push myself to go ill just make it harder when i do go back and i need the money - while im off sick im not earning!

ive got a career plan B - so i have my escape route planned but it could take a long time....even a couple of years.
so
do i kick myself up the behind and force myself to go back. DH thinks i should and ive already said ill be back...
WWYD? (tell me to go back....dont give me any excuses!)

ThisIsWhyYouWereToldNotTo Sun 23-Aug-09 17:26:52

If you've done the 5 days, I would go with just dose yourself up and go for it tbh.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 23-Aug-09 17:27:28

No, I wouldn't go to work with a broken toe if I was likely to make it worse with running around.

annamama Sun 23-Aug-09 17:31:39

Ouch! Don't go to work! You might be making it worse if you're walking too much too soon. Call your boss in the morning and said you really wanted to come to work as you've got things to do, but you just can't walk properly yet. See how you feel in a couple of days and keep boss updated.

I cut my foot windsurfing on holiday and had stitches underneath my toes. Had the same dilemma... could just about walk... But I took 3 days off after coming back from hols to make sure it was healing properly.

They can't sack you for having a broken toe, if they do, do you really want to work there anyway?! Good luck.

pickyvic Sun 23-Aug-09 18:02:04

thanks guys but ive had 5 days already and tbh im not sure when id ever feel like going back if i dont get myself back now

also toe is quite likely to be sore for a good while yet. cant really afford to be off indefinitely,

if i dont go back i probably never will! my heart is so not in it, its a very small company, its badly paid, its a horrible commute and so far removed from what i actually want to be doing i think any excuse and id just walk. (or hobble! lol)

id better get my ass into gear and try i think. if i find it really too difficult tomorrow ill just have to tell my boss who will probably ring me to see how im managing. at least tomorrow i could take my slippers(!)

ill hang on to my back up plan, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

so give me a kick up the backside and tell me to go! (just dont stand on my toe!)

iceagethree Sun 23-Aug-09 18:04:09

go to work

grin

don't you need to keep your big toe bandaided to your second toe? this will help A LOT, a ridiculous amount considering it's so simple

go to work, you're thinking about the pain more because you're sitting around

iceagethree Sun 23-Aug-09 18:05:51

does this frying pan help?

<kabong to back of head>

I would go to work, but I love my job.

If I didn't like my job I would be lying on my back eating muffins and watching Sex and the City dvd's. grin

pickyvic Sun 23-Aug-09 18:26:27

frying pan helped - (the lump on my head will keep me more occupied than the pain of my toe!)

seriously - dont give me any excuses...im going in, ive decided. (ill so regret this at 7am in the morning - especially if its raining as all i can get on my foot is a sandal!)

ill go and see how i am. if i cant manage ill speak to boss man. DH has just got home and said its just gonna get harder to go back the longer i leave it and its true i guess.

so. i should go. shouldnt i....! (yes)

Sagacious Sat 29-Aug-09 18:14:09

It took 8 very painfull weeks to get back to normal after breaking my little toe.

Theres no way I could have swung that at work

Work paid for a taxi for the 15 min walk .. is that a fair comprimise?

leonifay Sat 29-Aug-09 18:31:44

i say go back, anyway you can get a taxi at the other end. your boss will see you working even when your in pain, this may come in handy when you throw a sicky need more time off work or need a refrence from him, i'm assuming for your plan b you will need some sort of refrence

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now