Where would you live? Blackheath or Greenwich or Clapham

(13 Posts)
momfrombrooklyn Mon 22-Jun-09 09:44:19

HI, I posted this on the property thread too, but still can't make up my mind. Husband working in Canary Wharf. I'm new from Brooklyn and need to pick where we will live. I'll probably SAH with 2 kids (2.6 yrs and 8 mos). Should we live in Greenwich (short commute, can't find a good house yet), Blackheath (decent commute, nice house no playgrounds) or Clapham (really nice houses and shops, but LONG commute)

thanks for your advice!

stripeypineapple Mon 22-Jun-09 09:47:40

Out of those three I would opt for Greenwich.

I lived in SE London all my life up until last Christmas and know all the areas you've asked about.

If I had the choice of the three it would be Greenwich, there must be a nice house there, somewhere?

slug Mon 22-Jun-09 09:59:08

I've lived in all three. Blackheath and Greenwich are next to each other. You could, if you didn't choose wisely, have a longer commute from Greenwich than from Blackheath. You can, if public transport goes pear shaped, walk to Canary Wharf from either Blackheath or Greenwich (I used to work just past Canary Wharf and would walk during tube strikes)

Public transport is slightly better IMHO from Blackheath. There's a train to London, busses and a 20 minute walk will get you to the Lewisham DLR. The busses in Greenwich can get snarled up in the traffic and are not the most reliable. Should you be staying longer than a year, it's worth mentioning that there are lots of good schools in Blackheath, though many of them are private. John Ball is the local state school, has a nice nursery and is graded as outstanding (DD goes there, it's a nice little place) The playground in Greenwich Park is nice and is walkable from Blackheath.

Greenwich Park and Blackheath are far nicer than Clapham common, but Battersea Park has it's charms. On the whole, I don't think the commute is worth it. Having said that, I used to cycle from Brixton (nearby) to Canary Wharf, the trip took about 40 minutes and was frequently quicker than using public transport.

Ohforfoxsake Mon 22-Jun-09 10:03:25

What about Dulwich? I lived in East Dulwich for some time and its great. Dulwich Village is lovely. Transport links aren't bad from there IIRC. I used to commute to Canary Wharf and it was OK (I think).

I've posted on your other thread too. Flying the flag for Wandsworth there wink

GooseyLoosey Mon 22-Jun-09 10:04:11

I used to live in Blackheath (at least that was its postal address). However, it was on the Greenwich side of the Heath and very near Maze Hill station. Lovely. No idea what it was like for schools etc but it really was nice living there.

momfrombrooklyn Thu 25-Jun-09 16:19:57

HI everyone, thanks for the great input. I think we found a house in Blackheath, but on the Greenwich side, it's just up the hill from the Greenwich park playground. I hope that I can meet some nice mums at the park in the future.

cheers!

daisyj Thu 25-Jun-09 16:28:46

Hi momfrombrooklyn - we have a very nice thread for local mums in the Greenwich/Blackheath/Lewisham area. Most of us are first time mums of babies under 6 months, but more variety is always welcome! We meet up regularly in the park and at the pub for lunch in Blackheath, so come and join us. I'm rubbish at doing links, but if you search for my nickname you'll find the thread, or you can CAT me.

You've definitely chosen a great area, btw smile. There's loads to do for mums and kids, and everyone I've met since I fell pg (now have three-month-old dd) has been lovely.

x

EldonAve Thu 25-Jun-09 16:30:19

I would opt for the shortest commute

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Thu 25-Jun-09 16:33:28

I would opt for blackheath.. I lived in Greenwich, (and charlton) but my friend lived in Blackheath and I always felt we had made a mistake bein in Greenwich, especially in the summer sooooo many tourists.

Powdoc Thu 25-Jun-09 16:38:13

Hi Daisy [waves].

I think I can do a link here.

I've also posted on the other thread you've set up Brooklyn.

momfrombrooklyn Sat 27-Jun-09 01:12:56

HI Daisy,

I'd love to meet up with you all, do you still meet on Wednesday evenings?

daisyj Sun 28-Jun-09 10:25:10

Thanks Powdoc smile.

I've just posted on the local thread to see if anyone fancies lunch on Tuesday. Hopefully see you there momfrombrooklyn.

Niketa Sat 04-Jul-15 18:32:23

A nice glass painting workshop
local.mumsnet.com/greenwich/afterschool-arts-and-crafts/468087-glass-painting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now