Is working two jobs worth it?

(4 Posts)
flibflob Fri 25-Nov-16 19:47:06

I have two jobs at the moment - one in an office, one in a restaurant. I typically work 9-5 Mon-Fri in the office, then 3 evenings a week in the restaurant plus split shifts Saturday and Sunday.

I've had a few weeks off from the restaurant and am seriously considering not going back. I've had time to go to the gym, cook dinner, and get a good night's sleep! I have been lonely though, as I don't have any friends locally outside of my restaurant colleagues and when I am free in the evenings they are working. Restaurant pays weekly (min wage) plus cash tips, and these should be good around Christmas, but I do earn enough to live on at the office. It is fairly flexible work, but inevitably involves at least one weekend shift which makes it hard to make plans/relax.

As I see it, I have 3 options:

a) Don't go back to the restaurant - have a life, but less time with friends and less money
b) Go back on a limited basis - money and friends but weekends not free
c) Go back to what I was doing before - suck up the long hours, save the money and quit in Jan.

WWYD faced with these options? Or are there others that I haven't thought of?

TIA smile

SouthernComforts Fri 25-Nov-16 19:53:19

I have worked nights only, evenings and weekends only, 9-5 plus evenings and weekends like you and finally now just 9-5!

I can honestly say I would never go back to working evenings and weekends after stopping them. I LOVE my weekend off now. I'm so excited as this will be my first Christmas and new year off work in 10 years.

If the social side is important to you could you do 2 weekends a month and have 2 off?

flibflob Fri 25-Nov-16 20:22:27

Southern glad to hear that you finally get to spend Christmas at home smile luckily we don't open on Christmas Day but I would be working late Christmas Eve and Boxing Day so might as well be!

I've had two weekends off now and I agree! So nice to be able to do stuff without the thought of work looming over you. Only thing is my friends are working so I have rattled around at home a bit lonesome. Though I am aware that this is just me wanting to have my cake and eat it too wink

I like that idea but unfortunately I don't think it pass with work - Saturday nights are seen as the big'un. You could work split shifts all week, but if you don't work Satuday night you might as well not bother coming in.

RaingodsWithZippos Fri 25-Nov-16 20:28:42

I used to run my own company working at events as well as my full time job and a weekend job. I loved the extra money and was so used to it that I didn't realise I was always tired and snappy with DH and DS. DH worked full time too and worked for me and had the same weekend job so DS spent most weekends with my parents and stayed over very frequently. Once I gave up doing the events (long story) I started to have much more free time and was happier. I missed the money at first, but now I can't imagine trying to fit it all in. However, I do still work ft, and every other weekend, and volunteer once a week. I like being busy. DH now works longer ft hours (84 pw) so we don't see each other much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now