New Year's Eve

(8 Posts)
xoxopussycat Thu 24-Nov-16 19:32:14

Hi all!
I really need some advice. On the 27th we're going to my PIL to celebrate New Year's Eve. My husband's family and friends will be there and they always have a big celebration.

I am from abroad and recently I found out that my husband's parents were saying disrespetful and derogatory things about my homecoutry to their friends and family members. This all happened when I was in the garden with my ds.

I just wonder how could they do that to me when I was only a few steps away! It's very double faced to me. What's the point?

And many other situations my MIL said offensive things about my country to my face but in a very "polite" way... I don't know how to describe but she's that kind of person who criticises and say very inappropriate people with a "soft" tone...

So I'm starting to get anxious for this New Year's Eve celebration as I already know she'll embarrass me pointing every single flaw in my home country. She'll talk about our cultural differences like she's superior in front of other family members.

How would you react? I don't want to let her go insulting and being desrespectful this time. I must say something once for all so I need some advice.

OohhThatsMe Thu 24-Nov-16 19:33:25

Who told you she was saying things about you last time?

MulberryBush12 Thu 24-Nov-16 19:34:18

Can you not ask your DH to have words with his mother?

xoxopussycat Thu 24-Nov-16 19:50:26

My husband had a word with them already and they just ignore him. My DH told me last time. He was upset and I asked him why so he told me.

OohhThatsMe Thu 24-Nov-16 20:29:04

OP, you don't have to go and put yourself in a position where you'll be abused, you know. Either your husband can go alone, or he can stay home with you. I wouldn't go and stay with someone like that.

xoxopussycat Thu 24-Nov-16 21:15:08

It's not that simple. Of course I don't want to go there but I need to. Any adivices on what to say/how to react when my Dh's parents start to say inappropriate things?

Lake2 Tue 06-Dec-16 19:02:33

I would have a big list of benefits of your home country and aspects of your culture that are positive, etc. They might not bring it up but if they do, you are prepared with what to say. Or, you could come out and say you find that really unsulting and ask them to keep their racist opinions to themselves in future sad

Lake2 Tue 06-Dec-16 19:02:50

Insulting *

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now