Two jobs - what would you do?

(11 Posts)
Boogers Mon 21-Nov-16 21:24:05

The two jobs are very close to each other location wise. The first is part time, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday morning, pro rata salary approx £9k, and it's in an work area I really want to work in, and it means I have a better work/life balance due to the hours BUT it's fixed term until April with no chance of it being extended.

The second is full time, permanent, £18k per annum, means getting up at 5am to do the morning rush. It has job security though.

I had an interview for one today and I got it. I have an interview for the other tomorrow and I don't know what I'd do if I got that one too. What would you do?

HollowTalk Mon 21-Nov-16 21:25:13

Are you looking for a full time or a part time job, though? Would you have childcare costs etc? Do you have a car to get to work that early?

Luckyaide Mon 21-Nov-16 21:26:50

1st one, yolo and all that

Lilaclily Mon 21-Nov-16 21:27:59

How do you know there's no chance of first one being extended

Boogers Mon 21-Nov-16 21:31:16

I'm looking for either really. Childcare costs aren't an issue but travelling is. I commute by bus - 3 buses there and H picks me up in the evening. I've been doing that commute for a while so I'm used to it, as are H and the DCs, but the part time job would be ideal, if only it was permanent or longer term.

Boogers Mon 21-Nov-16 21:35:48

Lila that was the one I was interviewed for today and was successful in getting. It's to cover secondment and the person is coming back to their job in April. Definitely no chance of it being made permanent, reiterated several times during interview. But, but... the office is lovely, the people are lovely, the job is challenging in a good way.

If nothing else, I walk in to the interview tomorrow with my head held high and nothing to lose.

Allthebestnamesareused Sat 26-Nov-16 14:48:54

Even if that position isn't extended something else may become available and they will already know you and indeed may decide to create something for you.

Boogers Sun 27-Nov-16 07:27:42

That is very true.

I was ill on Tuesday and could barely stand up, let alone go through an interview, so I phoned HR and asked if it was possible to rearrange my interview. They got back to me the following afternoon to say they'd like to see me next week, which to me says they didn't appoint anyone last week and I'm the last internal candidate before it goes external. I've also fished around for what that department is like and several people have said there are two people who have a reputation for being nasty, so I'm going to use the interview as practice but I'm going to go for the one I've got.

BikeRunSki Sun 27-Nov-16 07:39:49

1st one and kept looking. 5am Stetson to travel wouldn't be sustainable tonne.

lljkk Sun 27-Nov-16 08:18:21

I am leaning towards A. How many hours do you currently work, FT is a big commitment (currently exhausting me!)

user1471950254 Sun 27-Nov-16 08:24:11

I would do the PT role. They have to tell you the risks but the reality is that person may not come back & business needs may create a further opportunity.

Update your Cv and be prepared to job hunt again if the secondment ends

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now