Debt/Wedding Abroad - WWYD?

(14 Posts)
notsurewhattodo123 Sun 20-Nov-16 12:07:48

I've had a quite a long battle with debt - at it's worst, I owed £10,000 across multiple credit cards and loans. I've spent the last two years paying as much as I can off of, and as of this Thursday I'll be down to around £3,800 on one credit card. I've really been harsh with my budgeting to get here, and am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Another financial commitment also ends this month, so I should be completely clear of debt by the middle of next year.

However, I've had a spanner thrown in the works... My dad is getting married in May 2017, in Las Vegas. I'd really like to go (Vegas has never been somewhere I've really wanted to go, but given the wedding, I'd like to). Do i say forget the credit cards, I have a long time to pay them off (I'm 25), and go?

In every day life, I could desperately do with paying the credit cards off - my flat has a reasonably bad damp problem, I need to move before it starts again next winter (have accepted that I'll have to put up with it this year). I don't have any children - I'm ready for a baby with my partner, but will not have one until I'm in a better financial position with decent housing, and could start saving as soon as the debt is paid. I feel like my whole life is on hold until the debt is clear.

Sorry for the long post (any any typos, am on my phone), so WWYD.. Go to Vegas for my dads wedding (we're not particularly close and it probably wouldn't make anhuge difference to him if I don't go) and push everything else back, or not go?

Thanks in advance for the opinions! smile

MrsHathaway Sun 20-Nov-16 12:38:47

You're not close and he won't care. So what you're asking is whether you should stick a big holiday to Vegas on your credit card to undo a great lump of your hard work and further delay your plans.

Um.

Don't go.

Moreisnnogedag Sun 20-Nov-16 12:44:25

I wouldn't. If you and your dad where close that'd be different but if he's not even going to be that fussed if you're not there, why add stress?

I'd chat to him over the phone and say sorry too expensive. Oh and well done on getting rid of so much debt!!

OohhThatsMe Sun 20-Nov-16 12:46:53

I wouldn't go to Vegas to get married without expecting to pay for my children to come with me. If you were going to spend that much on a holiday, surely you wouldn't choose to spend it with someone who didn't care whether you were there or not?

frenchfancy Sun 20-Nov-16 12:50:56

Don't go. You've done so well to get to where you are. If your Dad wants you there he should pay.

Cockblocktopus Sun 20-Nov-16 12:54:03

I was all for going (cheap flight, cheap hotel, stay for only a couple of nights) until you said you weren't close and he won't care.

Don't go.

A better question is "if I were debt free would I take out a loan to visit Vegas?"

Because in essence that's what you are choosing to do.

Is vegas a bigger dream than moving, having a baby or being debt free?

oldlaundbooth Sun 20-Nov-16 12:54:53

Wouldn't bother TBH.

It's expensive to get there, don't bother.

Lweji Sun 20-Nov-16 12:56:01

Definitely don't go. Unless he pays for everything.

Any decent father wouldn't want you to go further into debt for the sake of his wedding.
He's going to Vegas for himself, so don't worry about it.

NightWanderer Sun 20-Nov-16 12:58:13

I wouldn't go. Vegas without money will be crap. Keep pushing on the debt. Being debt free is the best feeling.

Geretrude Sun 20-Nov-16 13:05:00

I wouldn't go and ruin my debt recovery plan (and well done - you've done enormously well to get so far) to go to the wedding of someone I wasn't close to and wouldn't care whether I was there or not.

Also, I have been in debt in the past and got out of it. I cannot tell you how much happier and lighter you will feel without that hanging over you. Don't delay getting to that place.

Feefeefs Sun 20-Nov-16 13:07:32

I would go I think you'll regret it if you don't. But I don't see why it's so all or nothing could you re-gig payment plans so that you can both save for Vegas and continue to pay off debt in smaller/slower amounts? What about your partner do they want to go? Is there extra work (overtime/weekend bar job?) you could pick up prior to the wedding?

Vegas can be done on the mega cheap, lots of flight and hotel deals.

Deadsouls Sun 20-Nov-16 13:07:39

Don't go, you can't afford it. It's as simple as that.

notsurewhattodo123 Sun 20-Nov-16 13:36:33

Thanks so much everyone - you've helped me make my mind up! My OH is like me - never been interested in Vegas, but was going to come because of the wedding...

I've had a look and the best price I can get is around £750 each, with a stopover on the way back, and that's before food/spending money, so I think I'll go for a nice meal with them when they're back.

Thanks again for the advice, think I needed to hear it from someone who wasn't emotionally involved!

notsurewhattodo123 Sun 20-Nov-16 13:39:08

*Also, I have been in debt in the past and got out of it. I cannot tell you how much happier and lighter you will feel without that hanging over you. Don't delay getting to that place.*

I've had a small feeling of this eachtime I've cleared a card, and spend alot of time dreaming of this feeling... Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now