Wait or keep looking?

(6 Posts)
Unexpectedbaby Sun 20-Nov-16 08:13:29

Yesterday me and my partner had 3 flat viewings. 2 were not worth our budget, the last we fell in love with and applied for.

At the viewing the current tenant said he was leaving December 5th, perfect for us as baby is due January 8th and currently we live separately with parents and there is no space at either house for a newborn.

After applying the estate agent called us back and informed us that the current tenant is in contract until end of January and can't leave early due to penalties he will incur from the landlord. Upset, we wrote it off but now DPs sister has offered us a room for us and the baby until the flat is ready. She has 2 secondary school aged children and we all have a wonderful relationship.

We could keep looking and risk finding no where as we only have time for viewings at a weekend due to work or take up her offer. I feel living with other people for the first few weeks is not ideal and not a position I really want to be in but at least it's a plan.

Really torn right now and have to make a decision either way by tomorrow. WWYD?

LIZS Sun 20-Nov-16 08:22:33

Can you offer to pay some of the penalty although if you could move in straight away I'm not sure if that clause is enforceable.

Unexpectedbaby Sun 20-Nov-16 08:41:32

That was my first thought because I we like the place enough to try that but his charge is £900 and we just don't have it as well as what all of our fees and down payments will be.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 20-Nov-16 08:43:49

I'd definitely wait for it. End of January will be here before you know it.

LIZS Sun 20-Nov-16 08:44:28

Do you want a ll who is so inflexible?

Unexpectedbaby Mon 21-Nov-16 12:41:09

Thank you both.

We decided to speak to the estate agents to see if there was any leeway or compromise we could reach.

LIZS you were right about the LL though. He now doesn't know if he even wants to go ahead with new tenants at all. Lucky escape maybe?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now