My dog chewed my friends jacket

(71 Posts)
chitofftheshovel Sat 19-Nov-16 18:56:22

A friend I have not seen for a while came round the other day. She took her jacket off in the kitchen, walked past the coat hooks and draped her jacket over the back of the sofa.

She has always wound my dog up, squeaking at her and encouraging her to jump up. Not sure if that is relevant.

So, we're drinking coffee in the kitchen. I hear something happening in the sitting room, can see friends jacket on the floor and the dog, I assumed at the time using it as a bed. Called the dog through. Only when we went to go for a walk it transpired that the dog had chewed both sleeves, I'd say 4 or 5 different 3 cm tears on jacket.

I was mortified, apologised, said I wasn't sure what I could do. Friend says it's ok and we go for our walk, kind of laugh about the incident together.
Fast forward to today and I receive a phone call from her stating that she's really upset about the jacket, it was given to her and although she has tried to fix it she has been unable to.

TBH I was totally caught off guard and she was definitely wheedling me to replace it with like, asking if I have contents insurance (I don't). Eventually I said I'd replace it, but that I had no idea where to find one similar so agreed that she would get one and text me the price.

I almost instantly regretted saying I would replace it, especially when I googled the brand and I'm looking at over £100. I have the money but only because I am very frugal and hardly ever spend money on myself, certainly not that amount for one item of clothing.

I'm upset by the manner in which she asked and can't see the friendship surviving.

So having said I'd replace it should I just suck it up? Or text and ask her to let me know before she makes a purchase to check price? Or ask her to contribute half? Or ask for her old jacket? What would you do?

NerrSnerr Sat 19-Nov-16 18:58:20

I think you should replace, your dog chewed it. £100 isn't a huge amount for a coat.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 19-Nov-16 18:58:26

I think if your dog ruined it, you replace it.

Peppapogstillonaloop Sat 19-Nov-16 18:59:29

Sorry but your dog chewed her coat you have to replace it! All of your points about her winding up dog or not using coat hooks don't actually make it her fault!

ProseccoBitch Sat 19-Nov-16 18:59:37

I think you should replace it too.

IEatCannibals Sat 19-Nov-16 18:59:57

This is the sort of thread we need Judge Rinder for!

Personally I would feel obligated to pay for it but I would be pissed off she didn't put her coat somewhere safer. But then if she doesn't have a dog she maybe hadn't realised the need. My nephew comes over and leaves his shoes on the floor so I pick them up and move them.

CloudPerson Sat 19-Nov-16 18:59:57

You should probably have offered to replace it straight away, not wait for her to ask.

Gizlotsmum Sat 19-Nov-16 19:00:15

I think you need to replace it, you could have asked her to hang her coat up, our childminders always offer to replace anything their dogs chew ( I have never taken them up on the offer and always been cheap things, normally when kids have left them in the wrong place and they haven't spotted it).

ThatStewie Sat 19-Nov-16 19:00:59

I would replace it.

Then get contents insurance for your property. It won't matter how frugally you live if you have to replace everything you own after a fire.

galaxygirl45 Sat 19-Nov-16 19:01:04

I'm with the rest - you should replace it. Mine used to chew as a puppy, and ate a pair of DDs friends brand new shoes. Cost me £65, but I wouldn't have dreamed of not doing it.

rookiemere Sat 19-Nov-16 19:01:14

Sorry but I think you need to bite the bullet here and pay the full amount as you agreed. It does not matter that you think her taste in brands is extravagant, her jacket was ruined by your dog so she should have a replacement.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 19-Nov-16 19:01:31

You'll have to replace it, I'm afraid.
Why on Earth would you let your dog use a friends jacket as a bed?

pinkieandperkie Sat 19-Nov-16 19:02:20

I think you should replace the coat. I would have offered straight away.

Suzysuz Sat 19-Nov-16 19:02:23

Agree should replace it, 4 or 5 x 3cm tears is quite a lot.

Why are you upset at the manner asked though? She seemed to be polite and brush over initially so didn't make a big deal, tried to fix but can't so raised it with you?

hollyatchristmas Sat 19-Nov-16 19:02:52

I think she was probably waiting for you to offer.

FenellaMaxwell Sat 19-Nov-16 19:04:24

Of course you must replace it - your dog damaged it, you replace it! Iam really surprised you didn't offer to do so outright TBH.

ScarletForYa Sat 19-Nov-16 19:04:30

You have to replace it!

There was nothing wrong with how she asked you. It's like as if you're looking for excuses to get out of paying.

The fact that you're 'frugal' and don't spend money on clothes for yourself is irrelevant. 100 is no big deal to spend on a jacket.

Don't be tight, pay up.

chitofftheshovel Sat 19-Nov-16 19:04:50

Looks like I need to suck it up then.

I did not allow my dog to use it as a bed, as soon as I noticed the jacket was on the floor I called the dog through. Just assumed that she had been curling up on it not chewing it!

ChocolateRaisin Sat 19-Nov-16 19:05:29

I would replace it and feel embarrassed she had to ask hmm

stonecircle Sat 19-Nov-16 19:05:44

You should have put her coat somewhere safe. You should definitely pay for a replacement and should have offered to do so straight away. Whether or not the friendship survives is entirely down to you. She is not being at all unreasonable.

And I have dogs too.

BubbleGumBubble Sat 19-Nov-16 19:05:45

Your dog chewed it you should replace it.

Unless she actually gave it to the dog to chew then it is your responsibility.

PenguinsandPebbles Sat 19-Nov-16 19:05:49

Your dog ruined her coat, she tried to fix it and couldn't (which was good of her) of course you should replace it, not sure how you could take offence to the way she asked.

milkingmachine1 Sat 19-Nov-16 19:05:52

Replace it, your dog damaged something that belonged to someone else. You replace it like for like.
This has actually happened to me but when a family member was visiting with their dog (so in my own home) ruined an £80 cashmere scarf. I didn't ask for a replacement but she gave me £20 (not knowing the true cost) I didn't have the heart to tell her it what it cost me. I was gutted, I still am.

Upanddownroundandround Sat 19-Nov-16 19:05:52

I don't have a dog. I would not realise that a coat should not go on the back of a chair. It wouldn't even enter my head. You should have said something as soon as it was left on the chair. If your dog is liability to chew a coat then you need to ask guests for their jackets when they walk in the house and hang them up. It's quite simple really. Your dog, your responsibility.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 19-Nov-16 19:07:07

Oh ok, I though you let the dog use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now