Wwyd? Closure of child's bank account.

(15 Posts)
chubbylover78 Tue 15-Nov-16 23:57:48

My dp opened a bank account for his ds when he was born. My dp is trustee on the account until his ds is 16 (ds is now 9) he told his ex he would close the account and give his ds the money to put in his other account that his ex opened for him. His ex told him he couldn't do anything without his ds there (not true as terms and conditions on account state that a trustee can close account whenever they want if child is under 16) my dp asked his ex for ds new account details to transfer the money from his old account to, she flatly refused and said she would go with him to the bank next time he sees his ds because ds has to be there. Ds lives 150miles away and dp is only seeing him for 4 hours on his next visit because ds is at a party so do went to our local branch and closed the account. He has the cash to give his ex but she sent a text asking him wtf he thought he was playing at and that their son got upset because the bank had to speak to him about it (total lies as son is only 9) when she went to the bank. They gave my dp the bulk of the cash but witheld the few pence until the account is closed then they will pay the few pence into his bank. The account has never had anymore money put in since it was opened either. He has the closure slip to show her as proof but she is being awkward and even called and text him during a funeral he was at just to have a go at him knowing full well he was there.

ElizaSchuyler Wed 16-Nov-16 00:10:12

I've opened & closed several bank accounts for my children (I used them to save up for & pay for school trips/activities taking advantage of tax free interest & high rates) & my children have never been present.

I don't understand what her problem is.

If I were your dh I would wait until DS was 11 & old enough to have a cash card account then open one for him & give him access.

HeddaGarbled Wed 16-Nov-16 00:10:13

Why does your partner want to close the account? What I would do is just put all the money back in again and keep it going. Clearly, his ex is being a PITA about it, but I don't understand why your partner has gone ahead unnecessarily and against her wishes.

chubbylover78 Wed 16-Nov-16 00:23:35

He wasn't going against her wishes, she agreed it could be closed but she said their son had to be there And she would go with them, And he's not wanting to travel 150miles and waste half of his 4 hours he has with his son getting an account closed that can be done at home and then put the cash straight into his son's other account. His ex is money obsessed so he wanted the account details to put the cash straight in. He's used the account over the years to buy his son's birthday and xmas presents and always replaced the money. His ex is controlling over every aspect when it comes to there son and used him like a pawn in a game to emotionally blackmail my dp. Hence the text saying his son was crying in the bank because he had to speak to them. His son was there when he said he would close the account so knew what was going on.

JennyHolzersGhost Wed 16-Nov-16 10:35:19

Sorry OP but it's still not clear why he needs to close the account - ? Can you explain more ?

ElizaSchuyler Wed 16-Nov-16 10:46:51

Presumably it's because the original account which was opened when the child was a baby is one that the DS can't access himself & the OP's dh now wants his child to have access to the money now he's older.

chubbylover78 Wed 16-Nov-16 13:10:44

JennyHolzersGhostnked it's not a case of needing to close the account, he wants to close it so his son can benefit from it. The account only has a passbook not a card and dp ex has it and won't give it to dp when he's with his ds incase he wants to use the money. The account is linked to dp current account as he opened it and ds can't access it without the passbook and dp ex can't use it because it's not in her name. He felt it better to close the account and put it in his ds new account so he can benefit from it.

chubbylover78 Wed 16-Nov-16 13:19:12

ElizaSchuyler, the account was opened when ds was a baby and only ever had gifted money put into it(less than £200)a s the rest is interest that has built up. Dp ex has never questioned the account or had the passbook updated until now which is how she knows it's closed but is insistent that dp has emptied the account for his own benefit not his son's. The ex is very money orientated and every communication she has with dp is always about wanting more money. He pays child support, sees his son every month and buys him things when he sees him, He signed over the house to her and wanted his share putting in trust for his ds but ex refused. She earns more money than dp, drives around in a new car and lives beyond her means just to keep up with her friends. All do wanted to do was make sure his son could benefit from his money but she is never happy with anything dp does for ds and constantly wants more. In a nutshell she wants them to be playing happy families with do still paying his share of everything but not benefiting just like her own parents do.

dementedpixie Wed 16-Nov-16 13:25:42

Can he write out a cheque to his ds so it can only be paid into an account in his name

chubbylover78 Wed 16-Nov-16 16:46:11

He doesn't have a cheque book with his account hence why he wanted to do a bank transfer.

chubbylover78 Thu 17-Nov-16 14:07:05

Now dp has received a text demanding payment via cheque and that he stop being a trustee on his ds other account. My dp doesn't know of any other account so he text back to ask what she was on about. Turns out it's the one the government started for him when he was born and no one can take anything out only deposit cash in. Even when his son is 16 it passes to him automatically and then he has till he's 18 before he can withdraw anything. Dp hasn't a clue where the money is held and can't even remember if he is named on the paperwork. I have the same thing for my ds and the paperwork is addressed to me but the account is ds. Is it me or is she just being a total bitch because he didn't do it her way?

chubbylover78 Thu 17-Nov-16 14:10:54

She has said if he doesn't do remove his name (No proof he's even on it) She will see a solicitor. All she has to do is look it up on the net and see for herself. If he is on the paperwork and it's addressed to my dp (He hasn't lived at her address since 2009) shouldn't he be the one talking to a solicitor because she's opened his mail without permission?

dementedpixie Thu 17-Nov-16 14:50:10

The child trust fund? Would he be the named contact? I am the contact person for dd/ds so paperwork comes addressed to me on their behalf. He should ask her for the letters as they would be sent annually round about the child's birthday (well ours are).

dementedpixie Thu 17-Nov-16 14:55:33

Why does he need removing anyway as I he is the child's father?

chubbylover78 Thu 17-Nov-16 16:24:32

Yes the child trust fund, I know the person on the letter is only the contact and there aren't any trustees for it as it passes straight to the child. She won't give him any information about it so how is he supposed remove his name anyway. Also a solicitor would laugh in her face as no one can get
at the money so what's the point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now