MIL jewelry

(11 Posts)
mecca123 Mon 14-Nov-16 03:19:59

I have a lot beautiful and expensive jewelry from my family and I asked my mil to keep it safe for me. My sister in law is getting married in 2 weeks and so I asked for the jewelry so I can pick what to wear for the occasion, before taking my jewelry, I asked her if she wanted to have a look and see if she wants to borrow some since I know she has been looking for fancy jewelry to wear for the wedding. I did not mean to insult her and I wouldn't have offered it to anybody but family, she replied with I have plenty of my own thank you very much in an angry way. Did I overstep the line?

Motherfuckers Mon 14-Nov-16 03:22:32

No you didn't.

BradleyPooper Mon 14-Nov-16 03:25:33

Not at all, it could be her "something borrowed". It's nice to have a sentimental piece of jewelry, something with a bit of history that is offered in genuine kindness, I think it adds to the good vibes of the day.

user1477282676 Mon 14-Nov-16 03:26:05

No. But I can't see why you're keeping it with MIL in the first place! Isn't that a bit odd? Why don't you put it in a bank or something?

dylsmimi Mon 14-Nov-16 04:05:35

Was it your mil or SIL that you asked?
I think it depends how you asked to be honest
If you said 'if you are still lookkng for jewellery for the wedding to go with your outfit do you want to see if j have anythjng that will match that you could borrow' then YNBU
If it it was more 'do you want to loan some of my fancy jewellery' then I can see why someone would be offended as it sounds like your jewellery is better which is a rude particularly when you have asked mil to store it

BusterGonad Mon 14-Nov-16 05:10:15

I'm baffled as to why your MIL has it? Maybe your SIL felt you were implying yours is better because it's expensive. Maybe she has a complex because your family are well off? It's hard to say without knowing the ins and outs.

mecca123 Mon 14-Nov-16 05:29:49

That wasn't really the question. If you know of any banks in the essex area that still has safety deposit boxes and accepts new customers, please enlighten me, I would rather keep it there. We kept it at their home because if has better security than our flat.

mecca123 Mon 14-Nov-16 05:39:57

Just last week I heard her say to a friend that she hasn't found the jewelry that matches her outfit. I didn't offer it to her then and there because her friend was there and I was trying to be sensitive. I never intented to make it come out that mine is better, just thought she'd like the option. I wouldn't have been annoyed if the situation were reverse. Should I apologize or leave it as is?

Sosidges Mon 14-Nov-16 10:27:10

I think that your MiL was being a bit over sensitive. However, for keeping the peace, I would just say, "i hope I did not offend you when I mentioned my jewellery".

That way you acknowledge her sensibilities without apologising for an honest mis-perception

pinkyredrose Wed 16-Nov-16 19:52:19

Why.on earth don't you look after your jewellery?!

pinkyredrose Wed 16-Nov-16 19:57:09

X posted sorry! No I can't see that you did anything wrong, sounds like you were doing a nice thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now