The competition that never was.

(4 Posts)
minionsrising Fri 11-Nov-16 21:04:33

Hi! Regular poster, NC for this as I'm being a whinge wink
So my ds is 5 and in Reception at the same school that I work in (TA)
Over half term we had quite a bit of homework sent home of which two were "competitions".
A maths challenge where they had to do a treasure hunt around the school area plus make a shape picture.

And a "story book" to fill in consisting of several pages.

(In addition to spellings, reading and writing a shopping list)

We were told that a winner would be chosen from each class.

Ds worked hard on all of this despite being a reluctant writer he didn't complain once.... Bless him.
Now I have found out that the competitions were both cancelled as there were not enough entrants.
He's obviously put in quite a lot of effort and I thought he might get a certificate in assembly or have the teacher make a bit of a fuss of him for doing well but no, just no reference to it at all.

I really really don't want to be that parent, making a fuss about my precious snowflake but I do feel a little bit hacked off.
Should I just drop it (and not do the homework next time) or say something to his teacher?

Note: he's not particularly bothered about the homework but he regularly asks why he doesn't get certificates or star of the day and I don't know what to say.

FeelingSmurfy Fri 11-Nov-16 22:03:53

If not many people did it then I would have rewarded all those that did do it with a certificate and maybe a mini bag of haribo or something if there was supposed to be a prize (because it would now be split)

This is just teaching him not to bother next time like the rest of the class

mummymummums Sat 12-Nov-16 10:59:34

I would say something as it's wrong not to acknowledge children who made an effort.
There are, in fact, laws about running competitions though no idea if they'd apply to a school (not that you'd want to go down that route obvs), but for info I once entered a competition and way after the winner notification date I realised they hadn't picked a winner (only a handful of people entered due to the fact you had to photograph self in v specific location abroad)). I contacted them to remind them and was one of the winners of a holiday!

Minionrising Sat 12-Nov-16 22:16:20

Ha ha good for you for challenging them and getting a prize.
I think neither ds or I could care less about a prize, it's just the acknowledgement I'd like for ds as he did try hard (and I'll readily admit he does dodge challenging work usually!)
Talking to family I think I may try to mention it to staff and maybe just give them a gentle nudge. I realise he's not the only child in the class and they're busy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now