Is a job worth a move to Hull?

(36 Posts)
bzz7 Sat 05-Nov-16 20:15:35

I work in a field where the hours are long and the pay is quite low, but the work is fun. To get a foot in the door, I've had to live in many places that haven't been great. But I'm getting to the point where I want to live somewhere fun where I can walk or home without worrying about something horrible happening.

A job recently became available in Hull. I don't know the UK that well, but everything I've found online so far seems to suggest that Hull is one of the worst places to live. It ranks at the bottom of pretty much every quality of life survey I've seen.

Is this true? I definitely do not want to live where crime rates are high and everyone is miserable. Or where there's no one to hang out with and nowhere to go. If anyone knows Hull and could let me know what it's like, I would be very grateful.

WidowWadman Sat 05-Nov-16 20:21:09

I don't live in Hull, so can't say what actually living there is like or what neighbourhoods are good/bad, but I've been there quite a few times (closest ferry to the continent, also some good museums, the deep). It actually seems quite a nice place at least for day trips. It's UK City of Culture next year, too.

bzz7 Mon 07-Nov-16 20:38:20

Thanks, good to know.

ems137 Wed 09-Nov-16 21:39:14

It's not very nice really, quite run down and high levels of unemployment. It's quite a poor city but the shopping is ok grin

fabulous01 Wed 09-Nov-16 21:44:09

Everywhere has its ups and downs. Have a short visit before deciding

Lovefromhull Wed 09-Nov-16 21:45:06

Hey!!!

FranksBobot Wed 09-Nov-16 21:49:47

I don't live in hull but it is somewhat close to me.
Yes it's not fantastic but it's also not as bad as it appears on paper. There are good and bad neighbourhoods as is the case with most places. It is improving and money is being spent there.
I've previously moved from a very affluent, nice city to a less than desirable town. All my friends and family were baffled at my decision but like you it was for work reasons and do you know what I was so much happier there.
If I were you I would go and visit hull. Go for a long weekend and get a feel for the place.

LaPharisienne Wed 09-Nov-16 21:50:04

There's actually an article in the guardian today about hull's renaissance...

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/08/hull-city-of-culture-hope-economic-business

sliceoflife Wed 09-Nov-16 21:52:17

You don't have to live in the centre of Hull. Beverley is a nice market town not far from Hull and easily commutable. There are also nice villages to choose from. Property is very reasonable so you get a lot for your money if on a lower salary. Hull city centre isn't fantastic, but is currently being revamped ready for Hull being city of culture next year. You an get a train to Leeds or York in under an hour if you want better shops, and there are two theatres in Hull. People are friendly. Don't write Hull off based on reputation.

Watto1 Wed 09-Nov-16 21:53:53

I moved from Surrey to Hull with my job. I will admit I was apprehensive about it but I loved it!

The boundaries of Hull mean that the suburbs aren't included in all the surveys about schools, health etc. Most cities would look pretty crap if you only included the inner city and not the suburbs.

I found that the people were incredibly friendly and welcoming to a Southerner! I was also introduced to the wonder that is chip spice!

I would go for East Yorkshire rather than Hull itself as a place to live. Beverley is lovely. Hessle and the 'West Hull villages' (Willerby, Anlaby, West Ella and Kirk Ella) are nice. Also Swanland if you are wealthy!

I also met DH there so I may be biased grin

Lovefromhull Wed 09-Nov-16 21:55:05

Free museums
City of culture 2017
Near to the coast, near to the wolds
Cheap housing and living costs
Friendliest people ever
Down to earth- no airs and graces
Fabulous parks
Huge percentage of students come to the university and never leave the city.
But I am biased!! It's probably not everyone's cup of tea. 😊

hugoagogo Wed 09-Nov-16 21:57:11

There are some nice villages near Hull: Swanland, North Ferriby and so on. Market Weighton is ok too, you could even live in York and commute.
Hull is historic and the city of culture thing will mean it gets an injection of cash over the next few years.

Honestly a few years ago we were asking the same question and we decided no, but now my answer might be different.

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 09-Nov-16 21:57:24

Beverly is really naice.

Lovefromhull Wed 09-Nov-16 21:57:27

Yes Watto- good point. All the suburbs that in most cities would improve their statistics are in fact in the East Riding. So the city comes off quite badly in most surveys, even though there are lovely areas both in and out of the city.

YvaineStormhold Wed 09-Nov-16 21:57:59

Beverley was recently voted the nicest place to live in the UK. It's a really lovely town.

Hull itself - not so great, for the most part. The people are a funny bunch - I should know, I'm one myself.

It'll take ages for them to 'let you in'. Once you are 'in', you won't know it until you need help, then suddenly you will be surrounded by people willing to fight for the death for you/give you the keys to their house/give you a kidney.

It's a hard-won loyalty, but it's worth having.

GemmaB78 Wed 09-Nov-16 21:58:34

We live in Hull, having moved here from Exeter for my partner's new job (at the Uni) in February.

I hated it initially, but 9 months on, I've started to come around to like it. Like any city, there are some lovely, some grim and a lot of "normal" areas. Housing is seriously cheap. We are renting a house twice as big as our property in East Devon for a slightly lower rent. The city centre is the usual mix of shops. As a city of culture next year, there's a lot of work going on in the city centre. There's a pretty good cultural scene. Schools are a mixed bag. There are some lovely market towns nearby. York and Leeds are both an hour away.

Yes, it has had, and continues to have its problems but it's not as grim as the media would have you believe.

If you do decide to move here, PM me and I'll help as much as i can.

Lovefromhull Wed 09-Nov-16 21:59:02

And Watto- i am adding chip spice, and the party butty to my list!

YvaineStormhold Wed 09-Nov-16 21:59:27

Also, patties. Worth moving for on their own.

GemmaB78 Wed 09-Nov-16 22:00:44

Lots of posts added whilst I was typing all signing the same tune!

Lovefromhull Wed 09-Nov-16 22:01:39

Patty butty, although a party butty sounds fun!

YvaineStormhold Wed 09-Nov-16 22:02:17

The Marina is lovely. The old town is fab - Ye Olde White Harte is the best pub in the world.

The Museum Quarter is great, Hull Truck Theatre is great - there is a lot to recommend it.

It's just a bit rough round the edges, but none the worse for that.

Bejazzled Wed 09-Nov-16 22:07:11

That's where Brian lives

Watto1 Wed 09-Nov-16 22:08:13

I'll have a party butty please lovefrom!

I loved living in Hull and was sorry to leave. I felt safe there. I just felt at home from the moment i arrived. Low house prices are a huge advantage. Your money goes so much further.

Watto1 Wed 09-Nov-16 22:09:23

My only regret is that I never met Brian Bejazzled sad

NewlySkinnyMe Wed 09-Nov-16 22:11:37

Chip spice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now