Private secondary school is it worth it?

(5 Posts)
Thisismydilemma Fri 04-Nov-16 15:51:40

My ds1 is currently sitting an assessment for a private secondary school. He will be a day boy in a predominantly boarding school. The school has a great academic record and the facilities for sports, drama, music are amazing too.

His grandparents have offered to pay the 15k per year fees for ds. As we can't afford them.

We also have two other dc to consider who still at state primary, but will consider private option nearer the time.

However, my dilemma is that we have good secondary schools near us (if he can get a place, as they are oversubscribed). I'm not sure whether it is worth sending him to the private school or using the good state schools and topping up with extra curricular activities?

I feel really torn that I'd be denying him the opportunity of a great private education, if he gets a place. At the same time, think we can do alot with the 15k that would be spent on the private school, if we stick with the state school and top up.

Thisismydilemma Fri 04-Nov-16 17:32:06

Hopeful bump

Bluntness100 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:41:26

Compare the state school and the private one. Based on what you say the private may come out on top. The main difference and driver for me, was the smaller class sizes and more one to one support that you get at a private school that you don't often see at state.

However, you have two other kids, and it's not in my view ok to privately educate one and not give the other two that opportunity. My childminder had this situation, and the resentment was huge between her kids as well as the achievement differential. Only send your son privately, if uou could also make the same decision for uour other two, and uou need to be fairly sure of that now before you make the decision.

artiface Fri 04-Nov-16 18:42:39

Don't forget the other expenses which may crop up - the uniform and sports kit may be expensive (clothes and cricket bat/tennis racquet/hockey stick?). Plus extras - his friends may do music lessons, and he might like that too (£20-25? a week) and school trips could all make a difference. Especially if you send all of your children. But yes, small class sizes counts for a lot.

Manumission Fri 04-Nov-16 18:48:39

Are the FGPs offering you the cash if he goes state?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now