Baby's first Christmas - help with ideas!

(21 Posts)
user1471950254 Tue 01-Nov-16 17:42:30

My son will be 3 months old at Christmas & struggling for gift ideas for him! People are kindly offering to get him things but he's obviously so young and was spoiled at birth with clothes in various sizes so no need for clothes for some time!

I've bought him a playmat that also folds into a ball pit for when he outgrows the play-mat so that rules out both of those. He has a Mamaroo already, a high chair for later use and swimming clothes/lessons booked.

His nursery furniture was purchased pre-birth and he was given a duvet/bedding for when he is old enough so sleep there. He also has a few sensory toys and books.

Any ideas of useful/fun gifts welcomes I don't want anyone to spend money on items that are wasted and feel he's so young for many toys

Florin Tue 01-Nov-16 18:15:52

Definitely a jumperoo, it was a lifesaver for me. Think mine started in his between 3 and 4 months but depends on head control but they will definitely be able to use it by 6 months.

gunting Tue 01-Nov-16 18:20:59

My son was 2 months old last Christmas and we got him a little Lamaze toy and I'm glad... he got absolutely spoilt from our families.

Mamushka Tue 01-Nov-16 18:23:42

To be honest at that age I would try and avoid getting more than a couple of little bits as they can't get any enjoyment from opening things at that age. I try to avoid unnecessary clutter so I personally would get my baby one or two token gifts and encourage family not to buy too much either.

However if people insist on it you could suggest a few toys that he can grow into. these are good for babies and todders and if you have a browse around on Amazon you could find a few baby things that other parents rate highly. Add to a wish list and send it to relatives for ideas if they ask.

Seriously though I'd be trying not to bring unnecessary stuff into your house if you can avoid it, they seem to accumulate so much stuff once they get to the toddler stage you'll be trying to get rid of stuff you buy now before you know it!

Maybe get a memento for yourself to commemorate your first Christmas together, like a special Christmas ornament, photo frame or album if you want to make some first Christmas memories?

Propertyquandry Tue 01-Nov-16 18:27:08

An expensive, personalised porcelain bauble for the tree was all we got ours on their first Christmas'. My eldest is 14 and all my children love their bauble and putting 'their' bauble on the tree each year.

MinnowAndTheBear Tue 01-Nov-16 18:31:58

You might like to get him a personalised bauble. I would recommend buying from Clouds and Currents (I ordered mine via Not on the High Street) they were excellent. I've taken a photo of my son and his bauble every year as a record of how he is growing.
As for presents ideas for family, sleeping bags in the next size/tog, a fisher price play table, bubble machine, classic picture books etc.

ButtMuncher Tue 01-Nov-16 18:37:57

Following - my son will be 3 months at Christmas too.

MrsRolly Tue 01-Nov-16 18:39:25

My boy is getting his passport wink

CMOTDibbler Tue 01-Nov-16 18:43:36

I'd ask people to club together/give money for a pass to a local attraction - NT, zoo, farm park so that you can go all year without paying each time. Makes a big difference for you to be able to go somewhere cheap when you just want to get out

SaltySeaBird Tue 01-Nov-16 19:12:52

Photography session
Jumperoo
Pass to soft play / local attraction
Weaning stuff like bowl / cup etc

Lots of nice baby things on the site Kidly.

Sparlklesilverglitter Tue 01-Nov-16 19:16:07

What about a good quality wooden toy for when his older?

A family photo shoot?

I think the personalised first Christmas bauble and teddy are nice keep sakes. Mum still puts my first Christmas ball on the tree I'm 39! It will be my DD first Christmas I will get one for DD

Jumperoo?

Tickets to a zoo? Your, your partner and baby could go for a day out

user1471950254 Tue 01-Nov-16 20:10:54

Lovely ideas everyone, thank you! I'm definitely wary of accumulating unnecessary stuff so love the idea of a jumparoo as won't be too long before he can use it.

I adore keepsakes so also love the idea of a Christmas bauble personalised for him! I purchased him a Christmas Eve personalised box for the future so it would be nice for him in future years to pop the bauble on the tree on Christmas Eve smile. I'll check of the other sites and idea also so thank you! Also great idea about future experiences and family days out when he's a little older

Milkand2sugarsplease Sun 06-Nov-16 22:12:21

What about signing up to a few local groups - baby sensory/swim/bounce & rhyme etc. Some of them aren't cheap and it's nice to have somewhere to go...

My DS loved the sealife centre as a baby - it was the ONLY place he was calm so we had an annual pass for there. (Soooo not worth full price for 1 visit!!)

Can you try a jumperoo before buying - DS hated his and it just sat looking pretty til I sold it on....

Otherwise, put the money aside and just buy things as they're needed over the coming year rather than having it all there ready as such.

user1471950254 Mon 07-Nov-16 15:29:01

Thanks Milk!

loveulotslikejellytots Mon 07-Nov-16 15:58:06

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but how about clothes but in bigger sizes. A lot of dd's gifts when she was born were in small sizes. Now she's in 9-12 months and we've got no 'gift' clothes left. I've bought a lot of stuff in sales in bigger sizes.

user1471950254 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:28:27

Thank you

Scrumptiousbears Tue 08-Nov-16 17:34:56

I second the Jumperoo. Both my kids had them and they loved them to bits. Also one of these cot piano things. As soon as they can kick these are great fun (but a bit noisy!)

insertimaginativeusername Wed 09-Nov-16 19:41:34

A voucher for one of those keepsake blankets/bears to be made out of sleep suits when he's outgrown enough

Another vote for a jumperoo!

Trike

My DD was the same age at her first Christmas so a couple of people bought nice weaning bits, recipe books, bowls, anti slip mats, storage pots, beakers, sounds crap now but it all matched so was nice and useful rather than more and more toys

user1471950254 Wed 09-Nov-16 20:00:49

Thank you!

woodwaj Sat 19-Nov-16 22:53:11

A bank account! They will get spoilt by so many people with gifts to open!

Or a toybox!

We also had a keepsake blanket made out of ds old baby grows its so lovely. I went to lovekeepcreate

ruthieruthuk Sun 04-Dec-16 23:12:55

Got my son a snug seat from mamas and papas to help aid his sitting up skills, u can get activity trays for them too to make them more interesting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now