Could this be fraud of some sort?

(3 Posts)
Linnet Mon 31-Oct-16 22:56:07

Sorry this may be a bit long, don't want to drip feed.

A few months ago I received a little catalogue for a clothing company I'd never heard of posted to my house. It was addressed to a woman, I'll call her Jane Smith, but it has my address on it. I thought this was odd, I've never heard of this Jane Smith and there is nobody in my street with this name so a neighbour hasn't signed up and the catalogue has ended up with my address by accident. So, I phoned the company and explained and they cancelled the catalogue. fast forward to a couple of months ago and I get another one from a tourist place, somewhere that is very close to my house actually. Again I phoned up and told them that she didn't live here/never had and asked them to remove from the list. the lady said that was fine and I asked if this person had signed up online or been into this attraction to sign up and I was told that the company had bought her details from another company.
So, I thought that was it and lo and behold today I get another one from another company.

Now if I google Jane Smith (her real name is actually quite unusual) I get Jane Smith at the same house number and street as me but in a town with a different name in a state in America. I'm wondering if she has signed up to these companies online, typed in the start of the streeet and it's autofilled my address, being in the uk as they are UK companies.

I'm guessing she's not ordering items as I guess they would come to my house, or could she be ordering items and then getting them sent somewhere else? But I don't get any bills. I'm not sure what to do about this. Obviously if the companies are selling on her details this could go on for a while.
Could this would impact on my credit score in any way? Should I get a copy of my credit report, would these companies show up? I'm now worrying about fraud being committed.

Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Linnet Tue 01-Nov-16 00:41:20

bump

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 06-Nov-16 14:47:27

Sounds like a simple error on the part of Jane.

Checking your credit report is always a good idea, irrespective of these catalogues arriving. Noddle is a free one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now