13yo DS "mugged"

(6 Posts)
ChocolateFace Wed 26-Oct-16 10:31:12

A few days ago I dropped 13yo off a a skate park located in a village...when I say village it's a bit of a rough area, cut off from the rest off the town, so everybody knows everybody else and the other kids would have known he's not local.

DS has very good social skills and was chatting to some other kids playing there. He had a go one someone else's scooter, and while he did sons boys came along and had a go on his scooter, and wouldn't give it back, but I think they would have eventually.

A girl (DS said she looked about 13) was also there with these boys and picked up DSs bag and started looking through it saying she was a crack addict and needed money. DS was nervous about her finding his GoPro and phone, so handed her £5 from his pocket which she took.

She and the other kids walked off, and DS phoned me to collect him.

DS didn't tell me this happened, but told DH that evening when he got home.

DH then told me, and my immediate reaction was to report it to the police. DH is reluctant. Having thought about it, no crime was committed as DS handed over the £5. 

DH and I have both told DS he did the right thing.

PersianCatLady Wed 26-Oct-16 16:05:24

I think there is more to this story than your DS is letting on.

ChocolateFace Wed 26-Oct-16 16:54:43

I'm what way?

I asked DD who was also in the park what happened, before I spoke to DS so I'm pretty I have the full account. DS took a photo of the girl and the two boys walking away.

DS wants to report it to the police- he says he doesn't want it to happen to any one else. I've decided not to.

PersianCatLady Wed 26-Oct-16 17:58:02

DS wants to report it to the police- he says he doesn't want it to happen to any one else. I've decided not to
I think that you should as they could be doing this to other kids.

What made the story sound a bit odd is that a 13 year old girl said she was a crack addict.

Now before any one starts telling me that there are 13 year old crack addicts, yes I know but I would be very surprised if this girl actually was one.

It definitely sounds to me as if they singled your DS out as he would have been off guard as he was not local.

Do you mind me asking why you dropped your DS off at a skate park in a rough part of town where he didn't know anybody on his own??

ChocolateFace Wed 26-Oct-16 18:16:29

I'm pretty sure the girl is not a drug addict! She was just saying she was - she was just messing around, but I don't know if she would have taken anything from DSs bag or not.

The skate park is brilliant, there's obviously been a lot of money spent on it. At 13 and 11 I thought My DC would be old enough to be in the park by themselves. DS and his friend went a few times over the summer with no problems. I seem to have miss judged.

PersianCatLady Wed 26-Oct-16 21:34:56

My DC would be old enough to be in the park by themselves
I would expect the same but I think that these other kids marked your DS out as an easy target because he was alone and not in a group.

Kids can be absolutely awful to each other can't they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now