Holiday club or not?

(2 Posts)
PuntCuffin Thu 20-Oct-16 20:01:19

I work full time and suffer from all the clichés of maternal guilt about how much time my sons spend in childcare etc. I hate my job but need to keep it, bills, mortgage etc, it's a good job just I am sick of it.

I have leave in hand and had planned various day trips with my two sons (11 and 6) over half term. 11 year old has now expressed a strong preference for going into holiday club as it is a football course and he has set himself a goal to get into a better squad so wants to practice. He would rather do that than have time with me :-(

Most of the things I had planned, I will struggle to drop him off and then go with the 6 year old and get back in time for collection.

The alternatives as I see it are:
1. I don't send him and he is a grumpy pre-teen all week and none of us enjoy the time off
2. DS 11 goes to club and I rethink days out with just DS 6 to be more local and probably not so much fun.
3. Both go to club and I enjoy a few days of me time, walking the dog, reading my book and just not working.

Net cost of all choices is around the same whether I pay travel costs, entrance fees and packed lunches or clubs which include lunch and snacks.

WWYD?

TheCrowFromBelow Thu 20-Oct-16 20:07:10

Let him go to the club, and do some fun stuff for 6 year olds with your youngest. At that age what interests the 11 yo on a day out probably won't interest your 6yo anyway!
I'm sure you can find some good stuff to do - those courses are usually 6 hours a day. I wa surprise show much my two enjoyed painting pottery and things like that at that age.
And don't take it personally grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now