Parking fine

(6 Posts)
baaboo Wed 19-Oct-16 21:17:21

Last year I had a call back to work (I work in an industry where I am dealing with who could be considered as a vulnerable type of client)
It was dark, pouring down with rain. I parked my car in the space in the public car park that we have a permit for and ran in to get the permit. The clients were already at the door waiting. I let them in and they were my priority.

I got a parking fine for not displaying the permit.

I originally appealed with copies of my name on the permits stating the industry I am in and why I felt I couldn't just run out and display the permit.
I was also pregnant with a complicated pregnancy and didn't want to park my car elsewhere and walk. I provided a copy of a letter from the hospital stating stress was causing problems and I needed to take it easy.

The car park has about 30 spaces and there was about 25 free spaces.

I have ignored the letters as I am so upset by the lack of care and understanding. But now have received a letter from a debt collection company stating if I don't pay they will take me to a small claims court. I have 14 days to pay.

I am on maternity pay so can't afford it anyway. I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help?

baaboo Wed 19-Oct-16 21:32:56

Sorry it was this year not last year

TheNaze73 Wed 19-Oct-16 21:38:25

Your contract is from when the vechile is parked with the conditions of the parking vendor. You have failed to meet the terms & conditions so are liable. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but, why on earth did you ignore the letters in the first place?? Think you have zero wiggle room here but, fingers crossed you dodge the CCJ you'll get

baaboo Wed 19-Oct-16 21:51:33

I took advice that it was a private car park and they wouldn't take it to court.
The only thing I did wrong was not display my permit in a practically empty car park and I had (in my view) valid reasons for not doing this.

If this goes to court surely my defence is reasonable?

HardcoreLadyType Wed 19-Oct-16 21:55:42

Have you written to the company before? What was their response?

I would have thought that you put in a written defence, you would get off it, but I don't have experience of this.

baaboo Wed 19-Oct-16 21:58:33

I have appealed by writing with copies of the permit and my hospital letter but they said I still had to pay. Which I was extremely upset about (more so at the time as I was pregnant and struggling a bit).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now